Show me your garage.

victorialynn2

2 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Who knows what treasures are lurking in there?

Nothing of any great value. It is only me, and my sons,  into cars. Even though the property has been in the family just over 100 years - my boys are fifth generation there - the previous generations' accumulations were not auto related. As it is much has been cleared out. There are other sheds to get into as well. It is just hard to decide how much to hang on to. We certainly aren't 'hoarders' even though some might think that. Everything has a purpose - spare parts for things etc. Both sons are into cars and have several projects - mostly more recent Japanese stuff. They are in their early 20s so have their whole life ahead to get things done. Both work in the 'old car' world - one as a mechanic and the other as a metal fabricator. There is another car, and enough spares to fill more than one trailer, for which I finalised the sale just before the lockdown. Unfortunately it is 400 miles away, and on the other island, so it may be some time before we can go and retrieve it.

1 minute ago, Bloo said:

What make/model is that?

1984 Nissan Skyline R30 series wagon. Even though the coupes and sedans had high performance engine options the wagon only came from the factory with four cylinder engines - petrol or diesel. This one has been fitted with a Nissan LD28 2.8 litre diesel six - at this stage not turbo charged, along with a 5 speed manual gearbox.

• Like 1

Son #2 is working at the moment in the old stable block dating from 1916. Today he took the farm chainsaw apart for probably the first time in its near 30 year life, and fixed the oil leaks. The Honda Prelude is quite rusty below the windshield but it came with all of its info manuals and is otherwise quite good.   The area where the cars are parked is earmarked for a new shed - about 30' x 40'. looking to the future when he may be able to fix stuff for others. The lockdown has put that on hold for a while. The car trailer is waiting for the various parts stores to reopen, post lockdown, to obtain new U bolts etc for the springs. The BMW is a 1996 530i - it was a V8 and 5 speed auto but a previous owner fitted a Nissan LD28 diesel six and 5 speed manual trans. Some of the other cars belong to others, the rest are parts cars. The Rover 3500 is a $50 'paddock racer'.  The car in the single garage is an Australian-built 1971 Toyota Crown, relatively rare being a manual trans model - originally a 2.6 litre (4M) with 4 speed it is currently a 2.8 (5M) with 5 speed but is slated to get the V8 Buick engine from the Rover. It was privately imported from Australia in 1975. The garage itself dates back to the 1920s and was built from Ford T packing crates - it is near the end of its life now.  The two other vehicles are son #2 dailies - a '94 Toyota Prado, diesel and manual, and a 1986 unique-to-NZ - Mitsubishi Sigma SE - only done 130,000 km. By 1986 standards it is very well equipped, with power everything, and digital dash. It was owned from new by a guy who got too old to drive and his family didn't know what to do with it. The upper surfaces - roof, hood etc, all needed repainting but the price was right. Son works as a metal worker and painter at a restoration shop.

IMG_0428.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

I am forced to maintain a clean, tidy work space. I only have room for two cars. Limited space for anything else.

We get snow all winter. Nobody gets to keep their car in the garage. Just my fave two get to live in the garage.

IMG_5853 (2).jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Well nothing fancy here with no hordes of parts and excuse the mess. This is my hobby shop where I have been hibernating keeping my sanity with 3,000 square feet my current project car.  I keep the other 2 at the house where they will not get bumped. With 3 rooms combination wood working/ junk, welding and the last is mechanical.I never got into collecting signs for the walls or stuff like that seeing in a couple of weeks you would not be able to read it for the dust.   My sons tell me I spend too much time at the industrial auctions and when am I going to downsize. I tell them it beats sitting in a mall watching people walk by.

2020-04-11 shop 001.JPG

2020-04-11 shop 003.JPG

2020-04-11 shop 005.JPG

2020-04-11 shop 009.JPG

2020-04-11 shop 011.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In addition to earlier pictures of the workshop earlier in the thread, I thought I would post what I did with the loft.  About a month ago, I made the loft area above my workshop home office and full bathroom into a sitting area and cigar lounge.  I have a Harley Davidson pinball machine, an arcade machine, and the humidor cabinet is on the way.   I still have to start adding the automobilia on the walls, but it takes time.  

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

• Like 9

When we retired, we downsized and moved to a small town to be near my daughter and the grand-kids.  The house we bought had two garage spaces back to back - a converted car port in the front and a single space garage added at a later date.  I was reduced to one car, my 1932 dodge Brothers sedan, but needed more space for the restoration, so we build a third garage space off the existing back garage.  Not the most practical solution, but it worked out pretty well.  The last photo is the day it was finished and I began to organize the space.  Almost all the parts on the floor are now restored and back n the car.

g6.thumb.jpg.d3e61cbcc4003ae24572e16ca555335a.jpg

g5.thumb.jpg.26dff75713e56f9924335c5e2c5e2aec.jpg

g4.thumb.jpg.ae6b09dc02efd7641c1e8d52c4fe8f7f.jpg

g1.thumb.jpg.423fb84f3f1b01e58cff369ef804a7a5.jpg

g2.thumb.jpg.604909e70072867558c52513de93c3c4.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

When we retired, we downsized and moved to a small town to be near my daughter and the grand-kids.  The house we bought had two garage spaces back to back - a converted car port in the front and a single space garage added at a later date.  I was reduced to one car, my 1932 dodge Brothers sedan, but needed more space for the restoration, so we build a third garage space off the existing back garage.  Not the most practical solution, but it worked out pretty well.  The last photo is the day it was finished and I began to organize the space.  Almost all the parts on the floor are now restored and back n the car.

g6.thumb.jpg.d3e61cbcc4003ae24572e16ca555335a.jpg

g5.thumb.jpg.26dff75713e56f9924335c5e2c5e2aec.jpg

g4.thumb.jpg.ae6b09dc02efd7641c1e8d52c4fe8f7f.jpg

g1.thumb.jpg.423fb84f3f1b01e58cff369ef804a7a5.jpg

g2.thumb.jpg.604909e70072867558c52513de93c3c4.jpg

I looked and looked so the question; Where are the foundation anchor bolts for the bottom plate?

21 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

I looked and looked so the question; Where are the foundation anchor bolts for the bottom plate?

As an architectural draftsperson, I was looking for those, too.

2 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

We used Simpson Titen HD screw anchors.  Meets and exceeds all codes and worked great.  Makes it much easier to place anchors exactly where you want them.

So you drill through the plate and into the concrete and install expandable anchors? 

• Like 1

I enjoy looking at the different levels of organized here.

I can not talk as I have clutter as well.

But we need to differentiate between garage and shop.

It is obvious that a few of these structures will not qualify as shops in there current state.

Aren't garages where we keep the lawn mower and yard tools and stuff waiting for s goodwill run?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kfle said:

In addition to earlier pictures of the workshop earlier in the thread, I thought I would post what I did with the loft.  About a month ago, I made the loft area above my workshop home office and full bathroom into a sitting area and cigar lounge.  I have a Harley Davidson pinball machine, an arcade machine, and the humidor cabinet is on the way.   I still have to start adding the automobilia on the walls, but it takes time.  

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

I bet one of those compressors kicking on while you're enjoying a cigar really kills the mood.  😁

You have a great shop, BTW!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zepher said:

I bet one of those compressors kicking on while you're enjoying a cigar really kills the mood.  😁

I was thinking the same thing,  but do agree great shop.  My old shop had the compressor in the middle and people about jumped out of their skin when it kicked on.  It had a slight leak in the system so out of the blue it would kick on. 

Between that and the bump in the 55 MPH road out front that when a big truck hit it just right usually caused a loud bang,  it was interesting. 

Hi Bill ! Your first picture makes me wonder if you are a bit of a "Deadhead" ? In the old days, I got to go to a free Dead concert back when "Pig" was still alive. Sooooooo long ago.............................    If, if, if only time machines.........    -   Cadillac Carl 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brass is Best said:

A few years old but you can get the idea.

sr1.jpg

sr2a.jpg

A Ford guy with a spattering of Olds, Cord, Pontiac, Chevy. I doesn't look like you work on the cars though-unless you have another place for that.

I can squeeze 4 cars in super tight,  and two more in the attached part which isn't heated.  Ceiling is low which isn't ideal.     I've wanted a decent garage since I was 16 laying on my back in the rain working on my GTO.  Still don't have one.

All three of the cars have gone in the last couple of years.

July 2014 Thumb Drive Dump 3671.JPG

• Like 3

When I built the garage in 1973, it was 32 x 30 feet and seemed huge,but it didn't take long to fill it. In 1983 I added another 50 feet, and have since nearly filled that ! It's like the Field of Dreams. Build it and they will come. 

'29 McLaughlin Buick at home.JPG

IMG_1631.JPG

• Like 6

8 hours ago, kfle said:

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

Great looking shop but I have one suggestion as was mentioned above and do I realize you are just setting up. I see you have two large compressors in your sitting are that at times can be noisy when on your relaxing. Myself I would move them onto the top shelf of the ready rack you have in the corner or a small corner mezzanine out of your way and give more floor space. I have seen that in many large and small  shops I have been in.

I would like to have a clean chair in my shop that I have to find first never mind a nice sitting area like in your  garage.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zepher said:

Yes, extremely loud, but since the shop is just for me they don’t come on if I am hanging out in the loft since no one is using air working on something.  I turn them off when not in use.  I wouldn’t have put them up there if it was up to me but the previous owner who built the place put them up there.

and thanks, I feel lucky to have the place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Canada said:

Great looking shop but I have one suggestion as was mentioned above and do I realize you are just setting up. I see you have two large compressors in your sitting are that at times can be noisy when on your relaxing. Myself I would move them onto the top shelf of the ready rack you have in the corner or a small corner mezzanine out of your way and give more floor space. I have seen that in many large and small  shops I have been in.

I would like to have a clean chair in my shop that I have to find first never mind a nice sitting area like in your  garage.  

See my reply to zephyr.  There is actually two separate wings to the main shop as well.  One wing is a paint booth and clean room and the other wing is a blasting and parts washing room and then a  machine shop area.  I am not sure why the previous owner put the compressors in the loft, but there is a lot of setup to them.  Metal piping is all setup and run from the compressors to every spot in the shop and wings that terminate in quick connects and drains.  So it would be a chore to relocate them.  They don’t come on very often at all unless I’m using them and I turn them off when I am done working on something so it hasn’t bothered me yet.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

I can squeeze 4 cars in super tight,  and two more in the attached part which isn't heated.  Ceiling is low which isn't ideal.     I've wanted a decent garage since I was 16 laying on my back in the rain working on my GTO.  Still don't have one.

All three of the cars have gone in the last couple of years.

July 2014 Thumb Drive Dump 3671.JPG

Where's the Pierce Arrows?  😁

Just a reminder to myself that I did something today. Insulate that back wall and added some sheetrock, materials I had lying around. If it is warm tomorrow that window will get stained. 50% of the stuff on the shelves on the left could get trashed. Bob 

DSCF6211.JPG

• Like 2

Reading this thread makes me want to leave the SF Bay area and move to some place far away where I could build a huge garage.  Of course, being stuck in a small house 24 hours a day can do that, too.  ;)

• Like 1

This isn't mine, but it may inspire someone who

wants a beautiful antique car in his family room!

I found it on the internet, but it's apparently from

a 1958-era Lincoln-Mercury customers' magazine.

Just imagine a beautiful light-filled family room,

perfect for family living and with a view of the outdoors,

with your cherished car right at hand:

1958 Lincoln Living Garage 2.jpg

1958 Lincoln Living Garage 3.jpg

1958 Lincoln Living Garage 1.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

Reading this thread makes me want to leave the SF Bay area and move to some place far away where I could build a huge garage.  Of course, being stuck in a small house 24 hours a day can do that, too.  ;)

I have buddies who live in Idaho.  One just bought an extra ranch just to get the kick *ss 40x100 foot stick built car barn.    I'm willing to bet he paid as much for the entire ranch as it would cost you to build a new garage.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, alsancle said:

the ceiling is only about 8 feet.

July 2014 Thumb Drive Dump 2900.jpg

I've always loved old trucks, but to keep myself in check from bringing home a big old Mack or such, I limited myself to a seven foot high door and 8 foot ceiling. In retrospect, the high ceiling would have allowed for a double stacker. I had to replace the one piece roll up garage door with a sectional one that completely cleared the opening for the '21 Chevy pickup.