Paige truck ID

WQ59B

2020 pics (from FB).  Owner claims it's a '27 Paige, but from what I find, Paige discontinued their truck line when they brought out Jewett in '24.  But this isn't a Graham-Paige either.
 The hood has more louver square footage south of a Doble.  Unable to place the cab. 
Owner-built 'truck'?

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 10.31.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 10.30.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 10.31.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 10.29.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 10.30.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 10.29.23 AM.png

• Like 1

Looks to be about a 1922-24 Paige chassis and fenders with about a 1932 Chevrolet cab attached. Newer bullet shaped headlamps added, too. The dashboard is DEFINITELY a Chevrolet dash with a different cluster for the instruments. Here is a 1932 Chevy dash....

1932 chevrolet-5-window-sport-coupe.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Stylistically I like it. The Chevy cab looks good with the long Paige hood and distinctive rad. Even the home made box looks functional and well built.

Worth saving in my opinion. Any idea of where it is ?

Greg in Canada

Certainly a mix of bits pieces and parts! Probably built during the late '30s or WW2 for gasoline rationing and/or the fact that a real decent pickup wasn't available. I have seen a few really creative trucks built in those years. One I have told about before was built out of a model T chassis with Overland transaxle rear end, front half of '20s Essex body, and a nicely done homemade wood frame and fiber board panel (enclosed) rear body.

This one looks equally creative. Part of me would love to have that Paige chassis to try to resurrect the Paige. Part of me would like to see that thing restored as the nice and creative make-do pickup it became.

I think the "surround" the instruments may have also come from the Paige. They used one similar to that in the early '20s. It seems to fit nicely around the Chevy gauges though.

Model T's have a charming simplicity . But unless you live in a very quiet, rural location a vehicle with some serious limits. At least the Paige based truck is potentially useful. And that Chevy cab might even fit a modern sized person.  

T's are just too small, slow , under braked and more for me to take them seriously.  I like my speedster project but I am 6'2" . My son might be able to drive it comfortably as he is quite a bit a smaller person than I am. 

Greg

8 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Here is the 1922 Paige....

John, that's my 1922 Paige 6-66 whose picture you posted.  On the subject vehicle, I see a circa 1925 Paige radiator shell, instrument panel insert, steering wheel, and engine (appears to be a Continental 10-A, used at least 1924-25).  I note that the hood seems to match the cab but does not match the radiator shell.  So I agree with you on the Chev body grafted onto a Paige passenger car chassis.

• Like 1

I agree that the dash looks like '32 Chevy, but I'm seeing a number of detail differences in the cab to call it a Chevy from '32 (or later). By the time the rear window gains the radiused corners and is inset, so do the doors. This cab has a radius-cornered rear window and 'squared off' doors. The door handle is uncommonly placed below the 2 beltline character lines, and the hinge is above them. This differs from period Chevy cabs.
Look at the reveal coming off the upper character line, then going up the A-pillar. That's got to be unique.

21 hours ago, Grimy said:

John, that's my 1922 Paige 6-66 whose picture you posted.  On the subject vehicle, I see a circa 1925 Paige radiator shell, instrument panel insert, steering wheel, and engine (appears to be a Continental 10-A, used at least 1924-25).  I note that the hood seems to match the cab but does not match the radiator shell.  So I agree with you on the Chev body grafted onto a Paige passenger car chassis.

I miss my 21 Paige 6-66

On 4/11/2020 at 7:16 PM, WQ59B said:

I agree that the dash looks like '32 Chevy, but I'm seeing a number of detail differences in the cab to call it a Chevy from '32 (or later). By the time the rear window gains the radiused corners and is inset, so do the doors. This cab has a radius-cornered rear window and 'squared off' doors. The door handle is uncommonly placed below the 2 beltline character lines, and the hinge is above them. This differs from period Chevy cabs.
Look at the reveal coming off the upper character line, then going up the A-pillar. That's got to be unique.

I'm thinking that "cab" was built from a 32 Chevy 4 door sedan... a 2 door would have longer doors. This places the door handles below the beads, and if the rear of the body was welded to the back of the B pillars, it explains that sharp increase in altitude behind the doors. Top hinge lines up with the bottom of the side window. Rear window looks to be about the same shape. Also looks like he bent the front of the hood to match the grille. I bet if it was clamped down properly it lined up well at one time. 1932 Chevrolet Special 4-Door Sedan | S112 | St. Paul 2012

I'm having problems finding a good shot of that front bead detail with no 2 toning or pinstripes, but I think it's there as well.  Hard to tell, but I think I can see a weld on the roofline even with the backs of the doors where the back of the body was mated to the front. 

ff093c889f44c227066e09e1a1d7701d.jpg

Edited by whtbaron (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Its a '20's Paige car that had it body replaced with an available truck cab or one they cobbled together from a sedan body and box to use as a truck.  Most like happened in the '30's when large cars in good condition with heavy chassis where converted for work because it was practical and cheap.

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)

On 4/11/2020 at 8:11 AM, 8E45E said:

It's not a 1927.  I believe its 1933 or newer.

Here is a 1932 Graham Brothers truck.  

Craig

10irr033.jpg

Nice truck.  Graham Bros was purchased by Dodge Bros in 1929 and this truck  would have been built prior to 1928. It may have been sold in 1932 and registered as a 1932.

I have a 1929 Dodge Bros that is registered as a 1931. This was the ‘E” series trucks as is mine.

9F4C061F-A44E-4E76-ABFA-0FD6DC40A2AE.jpeg.070159a04dff963a152a2e2b30454946.jpeg79AA62F6-D2EB-4F52-B777-25A42294B0FA.jpeg.05dcd2eadd48c43ec31139834dea3638.jpeg

Edited by stakeside
E (see edit history)
  • Like 1