Memories of car shows and flea markets

playswithbrass

As right now, there are no flea markets or car shows, I thought we could share crazy memories of ones we attended in years gone by. 

Many years ago,  we were across the pond at the right time to go to the biggest Autojumble. Apparently there was a strict start time and everyone lined up nicely to buy tickets and found that we then corralled in the restaurant where it was hoped we would buy an expensive breakfast.  We sat at a table watching the clock slowly move ahead and grumbling with a group of other car fanatics. Looking around, someone realized that the windows were floor to ceiling and had a latch. The group looked at each other and said” I’m game, if you go through so will we”  No sooner said than done and we all rushed across the field. My wife looked back and everyone who was in the restaurant was leaping out of the window while the staff vainly cried “No, no! “ I couldn’t help but think of Hershey where you wander on and off the field when you will. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4063DDD8-5CDB-4B63-BD3B-326125B3F7FF.thumb.jpeg.18eb773a2858a9a0f9d274499e0dad0c.jpegWas that beaulieu,  last spring , if it was know exactly what you mean , expensive breakfast and strict entrance controls .

good show though , bought Mga and Healey bits at great prices, not much American stuff though, however 

also attended 3 day show in Istanbul it was 90% American , amazing collection of restored cars . Mind you turkey import taxes make them double what you pay in states, so window shopping for wish list 😀

B1ECBBA0-CD2C-486A-AD24-DECED853A579.jpeg

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have the most fond memories of two shows/flea markets : Hershey ,of course, where I have attended since 1965 without interruption and the Fairfield County Region HCCA meet every September in Ridgefield, Ct.

That meet has been mentioned here on another post and I believe Bob supplied some photos of the event and the flea market. It was the first car show I ever went to and my parents drove me up to it in 1959 when I was 10 years old. I never missed it after that , used to drive my cars up and back and it was a pre WWII era car meet, excellent flea market too! Peter Helck drove down from his home in Boston Corners, NY in Old 16 and so many people drove their cars up from long island as well .

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)

I remember the Beaulieu Autojumble well.  While living in Scotland I took the opportunity to get there and even enticed a group from the local vintage car club to go with me.  We camped somewhere in the New Forest, ate and drank with everyone else at the Beaulieu Road House, and waited in the "que" with everyone else to get in. It was quite a mad scramble initially but we sure had a great time.  Had the chance to talk spark plugs with the curator and ended up at his place sampling good Scotch and looking at his own personal collection of incredible early motoring relics.  What a great evening that was.  I even came away with the gift of a few great old spark plugs.  I need to try and scan some of my slides so I can post pictures.  In those days there was a ton of brass there.   Fully intend to get back there again.

I was just thinking last evening, it would be a good time to start a thread called "Tales of Hershey" also.

Terry

• Like 3

Back around 1983 or so, Bb Swanson and I went down to New Jersey for the Watchung Region AACA swap meet. This was the first meet we hit in spring, and we had gone  a few times. We came upon a vendor and were looking at parts when the guy told us that he needed to be at a rehersal dinner for his daughter's wedding that afternoon so was in a big hurry to sell out and go. I don't completely remember how the discussion went, but this guy offered to sell us all the parts plus the space for $100.00. We agreed and proceeded to sell parts all day and take the leftovers home. I've done some crazy things over the years but this is the first (and only) time I've bought the whole space.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was 16 years old in 1968 when my dad took me to Hershey for the very first time. At the time, I had a 1926 Chrysler Model 58 sedan, 1929 Franklin 135 sport sedan, my 1931 Dodge Brothers coupe, a 1930 DeSoto 8 sedan and a 1936 Dodge Brothers touring sedan. I was ALWAYS looking for parts. We were walking along through the cars, parts, and people when I spotted something out of the corner of my eye. It was a new old stock, 1931 Dodge Brothers radiator shell! I could not believe it. Next to it was a new old stock 1929 Franklin radiator shell. I was in shock. I needed those, so I sheepishly asked the vendor how much for each. He said, "$35.00 each." My dad had forgotten his check book in the car, so as he waited, I dashed WAAAAAAAY back to the car and WAAAAAAAY back to the booth with the checkbook.  At 16 years old, I thought it was the most awesome scores EVER! The Franklin and shell are gone, but I still gotta get my DB coupe ready for the shell....

post-37352-143141780492.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

About ten years ago or so, a buddy and I went to a swap meet in California. I came across two new old stock Dodge Brothers running boards. They even had the rubber and aluminum trim on them! One was for the 1931 DB coupe I have and the other was for an 8 cylinder DB. Well, it was a big swap meet and I knew that if I didn't take those with me, I would NOT be able to get back to the vendor's space to get them without getting lost or forgetting them. I did NOT want to lose those, so I carried those heavy things throughout the rest of the swap meet. The GOOD thing is that they were decent and cheap. The BAD thing is that I now have to put salve on my elbows each morning in order to get through the days without a lot of pain. My mistake by carrying those items ruined my elbows.

post-37352-143143058683.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The first time I went to Hershey was 1973.  I was looking for anything for a 1916 Briscoe V-8.  (Yeah, right.  Even back then, parts were unobtainium.)  I had my two kids with me, aged 9 and 7.  It rained biblically, and the mud was classic Hershey.  We had bought garbage bags with holes to use as raincoats.  After two or three hours of fruitless parts hunting, I said to the kids that this was discouraging and I was ready to go home.  They protested:  "We want to stay!"  "Why?"  "Mommy never lets us play in the mud!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I remember being at the Pomona swap meet one year and could not see the end of the row, just dissapeared off in the distance. Turkey Rod Run comes close but not quite as big & once a year.

Now have a lightweight folding cart.

1972 was the first year we had a space at Hershey, I had been before in 71 and a couple times in the 60s with my Dad. After 71 I decided I  needed to be in the middle of things. I had a 67 Ranchero and made bows out of conduit and bought a new tarp to throw over it for a makeshift camper. Of course we had to unload to sleep in it. We arrived after the gates closed and they would let us in so we found a campgrounds in the dark unloaded everything set up the camper and rolled out early to reload and get to our spot in the flea market. Got all setup with our "camper". When the rains started that night I discovered the new tarp dripped, right above my head. Next day I was trying to figure out what to do for the rest of the week and was talking to a friend that had spots and he handed be a large piece of visqueen plastic and we put that over the top of the defective tarp and stayed dryish. The place I bought the tarp apologized, they had got a whole shipment of tarps that were not water proofed properly and they replaced it.

Here is a picture of my wife of only 2 years being a good sport in our first booth. She is still a good sport and watches our spaces every year, but we sleep in a B Van now.

Hershey-1972.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/15/2020 at 12:10 PM, keiser31 said:

I was 16 years old in 1968 when my dad took me to Hershey for the very first time. At the time, I had a 1926 Chrysler Model 58 sedan, 1929 Franklin 135 sport sedan, my 1931 Dodge Brothers coupe, a 1930 DeSoto 8 sedan and a 1936 Dodge Brothers touring sedan. I was ALWAYS looking for parts. We were walking along through the cars, parts, and people when I spotted something out of the corner of my eye. It was a new old stock, 1931 Dodge Brothers radiator shell! I could not believe it. Next to it was a new old stock 1929 Franklin radiator shell. I was in shock. I needed those, so I sheepishly asked the vendor how much for each. He said, "$35.00 each." My dad had forgotten his check book in the car, so as he waited, I dashed WAAAAAAAY back to the car and WAAAAAAAY back to the booth with the checkbook.  At 16 years old, I thought it was the most awesome scores EVER! The Franklin and shell are gone, but I still gotta get my DB coupe ready for the shell....

post-37352-143141780492.jpg

Wow, that's is amazing.  So when you were 16 you owned more old cars that I ever thought I could in a lifetime!  In the summer of 1968, I was just out high school and looking for my first car.  I remember I knew almost nothing about how a car works as I hadn't taken any auto shop classes then.  I remember about 4 our of 5 cars that I looked at were early 50s Chevrolets, which were still pretty common in San Diego.  I remember my mom drove me out the Point Loma to look at a 53 Caddy coupe.  I remember going to El Cajon to look at a 57 Chrysler.  Then when my dad was driving me around with my three little brothers, we had been looking at cars from a list in the newspaper.  The next car on the list was a 1934 don't remember the make sedan.  Oldsmobile maybe?  When I said the next car was a 34, my dad said What!!!  1934!!!  The owner gave my dad the key and all of us jumped in the car.  I remember us thinking this is like getting in a big coach.  When my dad stepped on the brakes the car swerved to the right, so we quickly rejected that one.  After a while I started to get fondness for the Chevrolet Bel Airs, which is what I wanted to buy.  but my mom I think said if I pay $350 for one of these old cars it will just break down.  So I stupidly bought a Honda 90 instead.  Marc C.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'll never forget the 1967 or 68 Ormond Beach, Fla. show/swap meet.  I was walking out of the swap meet when the cars in the show drove by in a parade.  A late 20's/early 30's Pierce-Arrow

touring car drove by me.  The "only" thing I could hear was the tires squeaking!  No motor noise, no exhaust note, only the tires.  Wow!  It blew me away and I've always remembered it.

Capt. Harley😉

Goodguys East Coast Nationals 2009...a brutally hot day in Rhinebeck, as it always was once it was moved to June. As expected, a storm comes through. All the people rush into the buildings and make them unbearably hot. I saw my opportunity to go get some car photos with nobody in my way, perfect unfettered access...plus I love seeing the rain droplets on the cars. 

So, there was a gold Edsel in the car corral that year, which I had photographed the day before. I made a beeline to it and get some more photos...as I'm standing there, by myself on a field full of metal cars, the storm becomes an electrical storm! I saw a big bolt of lightning hit one of the trees on the show field. I think it was that tall tree shown in the background here, but I can't remember which tree anymore after more than 10 years. 

Rhinebeck Goodguys East Coast Nationals 2009 189

I hightailed it back to the buildings (I was there in an official capacity with the Town of Newburgh Model Car Club which was running the model show) but not before I realized that somehow my lenscap had fallen out of my pocket. I tended at that time to take it off at car/model shows so it wouldn't swing around and hit something- or into the picture. I retraced my steps and found it in the gravel, filled with grayish rain water (gray from the gravel) but otherwise no worse for wear. I dumped out the water and I think I put it right back in my pocket...I have no idea how it got out, because my pocket didn't have an opening in the bottom, and I didn't lean over on the gravel walkway. Still a mystery to me to this day. I stopped taking it off and adjusted how I hold the camera after that...I can see it from where I'm sitting to type this, actually. The camera was only a couple months old at that point.

I recorded my walk back and some of the storm but there aren't many factory stock cars in the video. On that topic, I think it was this show where I switched mentally from being a hot rodder to a factory stock enthusiast. I know it was at one of the Goodguys shows, but I don't remember if it was 2009 or 2010. I saw a Terraplane that had been hacked up and it disgusted me, from that point on I have preferred factory stock vehicles. I can't know for sure what year it was because I didn't even take a photo- which in itself is rare. I try to photograph every car at every car show I go to. 

I do have this video, which shows the rain and some of the thunder and lightning, but most of that had passed through already. Sorry but there are some factory stock cars visible. 

On 4/15/2020 at 5:57 PM, padgett said:

I remember being at the Pomona swap meet one year and could not see the end of the row, just dissapeared off in the distance. Turkey Rod Run comes close but not quite as big & once a year.

Now have a lightweight folding cart.

I was the April Pomona last year, and I was shocked that it pretty much is a one day event, and people are packing up at 2 in the afternoon to go home, also never had seen that many VW bugs in my life! 

Back in '92 I sold a '78 Corvette Silver Anniversary L82-4 speed car at the Pomona Swap Meet.

A guy from Australia bought it and shipped it back.

It was a very nice low mile original car and he was excited to take it home with him.

And I agree with the comment about the VWs.

I have never seen more VWs all in one place than at a Pomona Swap Meet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John348 said:

I was the April Pomona last year, and I was shocked that it pretty much is a one day event, and people are packing up at 2 in the afternoon to go home, also never had seen that many VW bugs in my life! 

I did the Pomona Swap meet in the mid 80's and was amazed that it started so early ay 6:30 AM.  By noon I was running through the swap meet spaces to make it before shut down around 2:30.  Loved that show!

I miss those early days of HERSHEY returning to the hotel with mud up to the knee's on our pants legs. Non HERSHEY people looked at us like we were nuts. It was a lot easier on you feet also. The blacktop only HERSHEY is a killer on my feet and legs.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

I miss those early days of HERSHEY returning to the hotel with mud up to the knee's on our pants legs. Non HERSHEY people looked at us like we were nuts. It was a lot easier on you feet also. The blacktop only HERSHEY is a killer on my feet and legs.

That's why I seldom ever leave my spaces, and sit in a chair! Legs can't take it anymore