Sign in to follow this  
broker-len

epoxy

Posted (edited)

JB WELD ------------or-------------PC7  EPOXY PASTE---------or----- HY-POXY alumbond-------what is the best-----thanks

Edited by broker-len (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

That is a fairly subjective question that will garner subjective answers. What are you trying to do with it?

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

thank you for your response      have posted this in different way but have not got a usable answer       see picture     the little screw was originally attached to the badge which is aluminum      goes on step plate on running board    I found the thin washer which appears to be tin  filed the head smooth and used JB weld after ruffing both the badge and screw      it came off when I hit with shoe     looking for something that will dry hard and strong

TAG 1.JPG

TAG 4.JPG

TAG 3.JPG

Edited by broker-len (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

OK I was in a business that had the need to affix small lite equipment to glass and it had to last, we used silicone adhesive. It would grab but be flexible if hit with a shoe. Weren't the originals soldered to the bolt?

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

don't know how it was on there    the head of the little screw was just attached     so again this is on the step plate of my running board so what are you recomending ?

The best product for that is "Click Bond" adhesive. Aerospace quality epoxy

Would the heat of re-soldering it damage the decorative face? I am almost positive that's how it was held in place originally, but I don't know if they soldered it before the badge face was installed.

If the face side is in good shape I think it would be safer to use an adhesive. if the face needs to be restored, I would certainly use solder. 

If the colors are Cloisonné - melted glass fused to the casting - then using low temp solder should be OK.  If it's baked enamel paint then even low temp solder is too close to a temp that might damage the paint.

Paul

3 hours ago, PFitz said:

If the colors are Cloisonné - melted glass fused to the casting - then using low temp solder should be OK. 

Paul

The key word in all of this is "should" because if the project is heated very slowly there still might be trouble that will need repair.

On 4/10/2020 at 6:10 PM, broker-len said:

JB WELD ------------or-------------PC7  EPOXY PASTE---------or----- HY-POXY alumbond-------what is the best-----thanks

I liked the PC7 EPOXY PASTE more. Don't judge by price