54 Pontiac Straight 8 Non Detergent Oil?

Hey fellas I just got my second Pontiac Straight 8 today, first in running condition.  So I want to do an oil change on it looks like the guy ran standard oil in it., Castrol 10w -30.  But as I understand the internal oil filter setup of these engines, a non detergent oil would be a better choice.  What do you guys use?  Brand and weight, I live out in the heat 105+F.  Coldest might be 45F.

IMG_0152.jpg

There's just no reason to use non-detergent oil anymore. Any modern oil will be better than whatever they used when the car was new. It uses a bypass style filter, not a full flow, so that shouldn't present any problems. I run either straight 40 weight when I can get it, otherwise 15W40 Shell Rotella in my 1941 Buick, which has a similar oiling system to your Pontiac. Don't sweat it.

• Like 1

I wouldn't use non-detergent in anything today. The 10w30 will be fine. If it has trouble holding decent oil pressure at cruising speed when it is really hot out, then use something thicker. If you are concerned about Pontiac's "100,000 mile" internal oil filter, You could drop the oil pan and clean it out.

Nice car!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eaglekiller said:

Hey fellas I just got my second Pontiac Straight 8 today, first in running condition.  So I want to do an oil change on it looks like the guy ran standard oil in it., Castrol 10w -30.  But as I understand the internal oil filter setup of these engines, a non detergent oil would be a better choice.  What do you guys use?  Brand and weight, I live out in the heat 105+F.  Coldest might be 45F.

IMG_0152.jpg

i would recommend shell rotella 15-40 and add a bottle of zinc additive.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac technical advisor

pontiac oakland club int'l.

14 hours ago, Eaglekiller said:

IMG_0152.jpg

Does it have factory a/c  ?

received_1166186096731704.jpeg

received_1166186390065008.jpeg

received_1166186483398332.jpeg

53 minutes ago, pontiac1953 said:

i would recommend shell rotella 15-40 and add a bottle of zinc additive.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac technical advisor

pontiac oakland club int'l.

Yeah just picked some Rotella up and Lucas oil Zinc additive.  Didnt know the Rotella was a diesel engine oil?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

It uses a bypass style filter,

GM used an internal oil refiner on Pontiac eight  engines from the mid thirties until the advent of the V8's in the fifties.

Copied from  https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/oil-oil-filter-1953-pontiac-i8-1954-hemi.581771/

Straight 8 Pontiacs had a patented, non-throw-away filter in the oil pan that swirled the oil and changed directions so the particles dropped into a bowl. It was supposed to be very effective. You might want to drop the pan and clean it out before running it much. I don't think the block had any provision for an external oil filter as the oil lines were cast into the block.