Hudsy Wudsy

1939 Chrysler Royal 4dr in Illinois $4,800

Looking at the headlight surrounds, are these aftermarket offered parts to run more modern headlights or an option from the tear drops?Are the tear drop headlights a special  bulb or just the lense?

Posted (edited)

Sealed beams became a thing in late 1939 for the 1940 model year. I believe they were required on 1940 model cars. Sealed beam conversion kits became available for many earlier models. I believe that is what you are seeing here.

Many such conversions were aftermarket, although sometimes if the hole in the fender was the same on a 1939 and a 1940 model (Studebaker comes to mind), then the dealers might offer an update using factory parts.

1939 models of any make would have had a lens, reflector, and bulb as originally built.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Bloo said:

Sealed beams became a thing in late 1939 for the 1940 model year. I believe they were required on 1940 model cars. Sealed beam conversion kits became available for many earlier models. I believe that is what you are seeing here.

Many such conversions were aftermarket, although sometimes if the hole in the fender was the same on a 1939 and a 1940 model (Studebaker comes to mind), then the dealers might offer an update using factory parts.

1939 models of any make would have had a lens, reflector, and bulb as originally built.

Not quite right.  Some cars with very low production did not receive sealed beams in 1940.  Graham and Bantam come to mind.

• Like 2

Update. Car is not here yet. Have had 3 transporters back out with this one (Road Runner) trying to get a truck load of cars heading this way before they can commit to a date. At least they were upfront about it. The other guys said "SURE" then a week later said they could not get enough cars on a truck to make it worth while heading towards Dallas. I have a friend that does local hot shot deliveries in a couple states around TX and he says these guys are grabbing government contracts to move around medical equipment and dropping car shipping when it pops up.  Sounds about right. Thankfully the older couple that has the car is very understanding.  

On 4/13/2020 at 6:06 PM, Brooklyn Beer said:

Looked at a couple Imperials and one person had done the entire gauge surround and glovebox in burled stainless.

I’ve seen several that had dash surround and glove box door painted and looked approximately period correct.  This has me  wondering if that was at all an option in 1939.  Perhaps the plastic just deteriorated so fast in certain conditions that some cars were painted just a few years after new. 

@Brooklyn Beer hopefully you can find a transporter and enjoy your new purchase as the weather is turning nicer!

• Like 1

Been reading up on it. Seems filling in the attachment holes with bondo and painting is quite normal.

11 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Update. Car is not here yet. Have had 3 transporters back out with this one (Road Runner) trying to get a truck load of cars heading this way before they can commit to a date. At least they were upfront about it. The other guys said "SURE" then a week later said they could not get enough cars on a truck to make it worth while heading towards Dallas. I have a friend that does local hot shot deliveries in a couple states around TX and he says these guys are grabbing government contracts to move around medical equipment and dropping car shipping when it pops up.  Sounds about right. Thankfully the older couple that has the car is very understanding.  

Very frustrating! I feel for you. I had a similar experience a year or so ago with a car 2 days away from me. Had a shipper all lined up, weeks go by and nothing. He finally admits he can't do the job unless he gets another shipment in the area to make it profitable. Well respected shipper too, left me SOL at the 11th hour so I had to drop everything and go get it. 

If you haven't already maybe try Bills Auto Works in Ohio, I don't know if he's operating at this time due to the virus but he has never let me down. Takes some time to ship (he's a busy guy moving lots of cars), fantastic first class service. 

Put it on Uship.com

finally on it's way !  Will be here tomorrow.  She shall be an experiment in paint cleaning and preservation.  Any hints appreciated.

Chrysler.jpg

Hard to say until you actually see it in person.  I think the biggest problem is the difference in color and texture on various parts of the car.  The doors and lower fenders look like they might even polish up a bit, but the crusty stuff on the hood is a problem.  I guess you’ll have to decide what you can live with.  She was just down the road from me in Illinois and I’m sorry to see her go, but I’m glad she found a new home.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

kb7 I suggest you start a separate thread in General section for your question and discussion

• Like 1