direction of spin

jeff53

Well, on the first page we covered reverse rotation camshafts, twin engine boats with one engine running reverse, triple engine PT boats, backwards fans, and two stroke engines. Who knows what we will have covered the time we get to page three. Maybe space travel?

The thread is about a Pontiac that won't start. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Speaking of PT boats, an old long gone Aussie navy man I knew with the mechanical  skills  regaled how he acquired a PT boat in New Guinea with his navigator accomplice shortly after WW2.  They loaded it with 50 gallon drums of fuel, we call them 44s here, and sailed it to the  Gulf of Carpentaria where they moored it in an estuary to ‘cool off’ .. he and the navigator friend returned to Melbourne and got drunk for about X number of years as many did. Unfortunately the navigator friend step off a tram without looking and was killed by a car. And  that boat is probably still there because he had no idea where it was!! Now the interesting thing is he always said it had 2 Packard motors, not 3. I’m sure the Pontiac will survive. 

• Like 1

I'm not a mechanic. The real issue seems to be the starter won't turn the engine over. This is just a suggestion and I don't see any mention of it anywhere above.  My stater in my '32 Chevy has been known to stick in the flywheel. Before you take anything apart put the car in 2nd gear, leave the key off. Rock the car back and forth.  Many times this will free the starter. Try to start the car. If that doesn't work try to rock the car a couple of more times. If that doesn't work call a mechanic. 

2 hours ago, James Wright said:

I'm not a mechanic. The real issue seems to be the starter won't turn the engine over. This is just a suggestion and I don't see any mention of it anywhere above.  My stater in my '32 Chevy has been known to stick in the flywheel. Before you take anything apart put the car in 2nd gear, leave the key off. Rock the car back and forth.  Many times this will free the starter. Try to start the car. If that doesn't work try to rock the car a couple of more times. If that doesn't work call a mechanic. 

Note, if the pinion gear is stuck and wont turn, this stalled condition can draw huge amounts of current and burn the starter if one holds the foot pedal down too long.

I'd recommend to pull the starter out, maybe a friend could help.

This thread is so lame.

Did the OP think of these items....

Do the headlights come on bright?

Do the heaflights stay on bright while trying to crank the engine?

Does the horn or heater sound strong?

Does the dome light come on bright?

Simple quick electrical system tests when not having a volt meter.

Regardless....A voltage test really needs to be done on the battery sitting and while under cranking load..

..cable connections checked cleaned well...

If the starter still will not crank...check for voltage at starter cable connection sitting and when attempting to crank engine...if full 6.2 volts at starter and still won't crank...starter contacts most likely 1st check with starter still in car... if they are OK.....next and last ...pull

starter to find deeper issue...kinda un likely need to do this last option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2020 at 6:49 PM, padgett said:

ps Bendix had a patent in 1915 and the Pontiac inline 8 was intro'd in 1933, evidently I have missed something

Totally misused terminology by drivers, mechanics and manufacturers.

All bendix drives are starter drives but all starter drives are not "bendixs"  even though they may be manufactured by Bendix Corp.

A" bendix" by original patents is engaged by the centrifugal force of the armature.

Other starter drives are engaged by a foot pedal or a solenoid pulling a lever that pushes the pinion into the flywheel gear.  The foot pedal then spins the starter after the gear is engaged.  The solenoid is designed to start spinning the pinion as it  is pushed into mesh.

bendix.jpg

starter drive.jpg

Thanks again for all the threads. I' ve got my answer. 

Someone mentioned- since I could run along side of it and start it( aka push start) It was a manual- most be kind of a young person- No it's a Hydramatic.

And other than Jacking up the rear wheels and turning the wheel by hand-- Which is never gonna happen at my age ( I'll rig something up first) --- So my answer is simple--- get a bunch of ICY HOT soak in it, find slippery stuff like cardboard put my tools on it,tell my wife we need new pillows and strap old pillows to my knees then make sure there's  a very sturdy chair  within inches- to use to help get off the floors-- then leave everything on and in place- go bench test the starter- and do everything in reverse---- and pray it was the starter button that caused the problem and not something serious. 

I would post photos of what I got back- from that shop-- but no need -they are on yelp.---- Once the cars running again--- all I have to do is learn to paint-- where the last person left off.

Funny most people would have tossed in the towel long ago- and I'm not even a "car nut"- maybe just a nut---- I figure my car deserves at least a decent retirement too.- Plus we all know- tech is great- but I'm pretty sure very few of the new cars will last 70 years plus. 1st  photo- bought car for work-74 $150.. 2nd photo- drove to mechanic shop ( just rustoleum paint to keep from rusting) 3rd photo After 4-5 months ( in 2017) 

1948-1974 Dan and I 001.jpg

DSCF0242.JPG

DSCN4357 (2).JPG

• Like 1

OY. Problem is few these daze have seen a transmission like the original  Hydra-Matic. Two big differences are:

1: rear pump

2: fluid coupling

Having both of these means an early Hydramatic can be push started, a Turbo-Hyramatic with a torque converter and front pump only can't. A jammed starter may stop everything.

• Like 3

Btw haven't needed this century but back in the day, an old tire strapped to the back allowed a push start with another car. Also have used this method to start a recalitrant Harley (had friends who could start a magneto Sportster with their hand. I couldn't but could rebuild a Tillotson in about 10 minutes so was popular in some circles).

Which brings us back to "is the starter jammed or free ?"

On 4/9/2020 at 9:49 PM, padgett said:

That said there were reverse rotation cams. Used in twin engine marine applications to reduce harmonics and torque. Dunno what triples (like PT Boats) used.

Packard engines in PT Boats all rotated in the same direction as did the wheels they powered.  Center engine was direct drive to its wheel whereas the two outboard engines were installed in an opposite direction to the center engine and transmitted their power to their wheels through V drive transmissions with their shafts passing aft underneath the engines.

• Like 1

Yes I remember- grab any old tire and away you go- just don't mess up the chrome. Not sure about the starter being jammed- shouldn't be- friggin car hasn't moved out of it's spot since 2017- after I check and recheck everything once more- put the hood springs back on tomorrow I'll try to start it one more time then yank the starter. Which is a 2-3 day job for me--- yeah,yeah only 2 bolts-  1 for each day(maybe) and the 3rd to put it back on.

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the pictures. Great car. Should keep you busy in these times. Just a small note about running the engine. I do this to warm and circulate the coolant in an all alloy engine. I run the engine at a fast idle for about 30+ minutes . 2000 rpm + .. Make sure it gets hot right through. This helps to  draw out the moisture and stops the combustion chamber and plugs from fouling.  Letting engine idle is bad news. It’s  better  to just leave it and take it for a  proper drive when you can.  Keep well. Take care.  And I can’t see the the elephant!!! 

6 hours ago, ejboyd5 said:

Packard engines in PT Boats all rotated in the same direction as did the wheels they powered.  Center engine was direct drive to its wheel whereas the two outboard engines were installed in an opposite direction to the center engine and transmitted their power to their wheels through V drive transmissions with their shafts passing aft underneath the engines.

Granted, I only served one enlistment so maybe the boats and ships with wheels came after wooden ships and the iron men that sailed on them

Fred-thanks for that info- I 've always been told to let it idle.and the last time I did- it sound great, but I let it idle for a long time- which with the cost of gas ( then) it was chewing up a lot of peanuts.

Rusty- I will check and recheck everything again connection -wiring- read out as I mentioned. I'll try almost anything 1st before getting down on the concrete  and pulling the "starter".  That's why the bypassing the starter" question was asked in the first place- But I got all the answer to everything else-- which will come in handy maybe later. Shoot if I could trust the shops around here- I would have just had it towed in. I'm sure they could use the work- but I would have to have it towed 20 miles away. Makes me feel bad too because I'm a strong believer in the little shop--but my last 2 1/2 yrs. I'm just tired and want the beast painted and to run nice and be safe. My wife 74- has never ridden in it and my only goal 2 1/2 years ago- was make sure the car was safe, dependable and a decent cheap Earl Scheib or Maaco paint job-- because you can;t drive a paint job. and paying 10-17 thousand for a car that would only be worth about 20-27 - is stupid. The blue and gray you see- is a total of 17 spray paint cans- farm implement type paint- just to keep it from rusting- until I could getting it painted. Rust Oleum- I'm told would start peeling in about 2 years.

In that case there should be a cable direct from the bat to the starter and a mechanical switch on the starter. Not much to go wrong, if the battery is good the cable is good the ground is good and no dirty connections then the only thing left is a bad switch or bad starter.

Excuse the Truck driver lingo--- But Hot Dog you buffaloes helped a ton.---  I got the boat to turn over-without taking the starter off- I was afraid once I got down on the floor I'd be there 'til all this virus crap was over- no way in hell my wife could help- I'm a light guy @ 265 lb. Oh yeah she would've brought me a blanket and tossed some vittles. So thanks a lot to all. Now for the next trouble shoot.

The Ground wire from "Neg" battery post- got hot.--- not sure what that means but again I'll check and recheck ( Pos- post on battery was okay-( not hot) so something must be touching somewhere.

Thanks again

this might be an easy way to see if the engine is locked up. put the car in high gear, and get a friend to help you push it a foot or 2. mark a spot on crank pullt to see if it actually turns if you cant watch and push at the same time. another simple proceedure, tap the starter a couple times with a hammer, i've seen it get a starter that didn't work, work flawlessly for years afterward

To Cheezestaak2000- Flat ground in the garage is easy and yes tapping it is a good trick- The reason tapping works- is because sometimes - not often- the starter button on top will work it's way loose. 

But thanks for the info- I'm not a mechanic by a long shot- but over the years I've learned to trouble shoot just about everything on this car- wiring- wipers-turn signals- I just don't do the mechanical stuff. That's why I worked in a friggin factory for the last 18 years when I was employed- to pay someone else- it's just finding the right people in this area, that's the problem. and the ting is most of them charge the same or close- to those guys that take their car to SEMA- like Kindig

• Like 1

Padgett- you're it IS just the negative getting hot- right at the battery post. What do you mean- "resistive condition".- everything reads okay and battery is at 6.5. There's only 2 areas left that I can think of- 1- Might be a wire that goes from the coil (+) to the horn relay- but even with a coil wire missing- the usually "tries to turn over" and the #2 is That shop I took it to 2 years ago also took out the dash and left the ign. switch hanging with the key- Does the ign. switch itself need to be grounded? Right now it just hangs the and I try and turn it over- but here's the thing- it had been starting with no problem- unless I just wasn't aware that it was grounded.

Take whatever parts are getting hot apart and scrape. It might be where the cable clamps to the battery post. Take it off and scrape the inside of the hole and the outside of the post. If the terminal is just clamped to the wire, you might need to take that apart and clean it out too. The heat points you to the problem.

Ignition switch does not need to be grounded.

OK, a good quality meter has a very high resistance (like 10k ohms per volt). It will be fine with no load. However a starter pulls A Lot of amps, over 100 (many homes only have 100 amp service). Now at  12v a 4 ga copper wire 8 feet long is good for about 150A. Now what happens is corrosion gets in there (white stuff) and destroys some of the wire strands, effectively making a 4ga with 12 or 14ga that can't carry the load and heats up (is resistive or acts like a resistor). A bad connection can do the same thing.

BTW a 6v starter will pull twice the amps as a 12v starter. First you and try pulling the negative cable, clean all connections, and reconnect making sure it is tight. If this does not work you probably need to replace the negative cable. If so I'd use at least 2ga wire in a 6v system.

ps ignition switch should not need grounding unless made by Lucas.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, padgett said:

BTW a 6v starter will pull twice the amps as a 12v starter. First you and try pulling the negative cable, clean all connections, and reconnect making sure it is tight. If this does not work you probably need to replace the negative cable. If so I'd use at least 2ga wire in a 6v system.

Just a note, when a 6v starter is powered by a 12v battery, the current draw is about the same (actually, its sightly more) compared to a 6v battery in the same engine.  The current draw is purely dependent on the mechanical resistance not voltage applied.

I have a terminal and battery post  wire brush cleaner and have  made sure both post were cleaned and tighten again- But before I start fussing with it again- I change the battery cable anyhow and make sure they 2 ga ( I think they are 4 ga.) I was also looking a my wiring diagram - noticed there is a wire going from the + on the coil side to the horn relay  but it was off and the diagram doesn't show which connection ( post) on the horn relay it connects ( horn relay has 3 post- bottom mark "S" top post marked "H" and the middle is not marked.--- after all this trouble I may just make it a 12 v. But no one around here seems to know how- can't even find 2 mechanics to agree.   I bought a classic looking 12 v /alt/gen. from Power Master and it looks just look the old 6 v. I have all the bulbs and replacement headlights.

What no one can agree on is- do I need to keep the coil- the voltage reg. does the dist. rotor and points stay-- some say keep the starter- others say replace it--- I get to the resistors for the gauges and clock later ( I want to keep as much original as possible)-- This would be a great time to convert-- there's no headlights- turn signals - no dash in the car yet- basically it's at  skeleton phase-