Steve Moskowitz

Period RACE CAR Images to Relieve some of the Stress

Downtown Crown Point, Indiana at the start of  Cobe trophy Race.  Also courtesy of Tim...check out the signs.  

Tim-DT Crown Point.jpg

• Like 1

Speaking of Cobe trophy races - this is a piece of sheet music from my collection.

I Love my Horse and Wagon by Oh You Buick Car.jpg

• Like 2

And another interesting piece of sheet music for the Indy 500.  Note how photos of winning drivers are inserted.  The 1915 race had not been run yet so that one is blank.

Harry take Mary to the old speedway.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Larry Beals in his HISSO V8 race car, this started life as the 1908 G.P Mercedes that Spencer Wishart later drove to 4th place in the 1911 INDY 500. Bob 

24_Larry_Beals.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

tim-3 VB.jpg

Look at the speed jack behind the car! There was a photo posted within the last two weeks of a car up on them and people wondered about it. Bob 

More Cobe Race photos, 395 Miles on June 19, 1909  #6 driven by Jim Florida and #9 George Robertson.  Photos again courtesy of the AACA Library & Research Center..."America's Automotive Library" and a public library for all!

Cobe1.jpg

Cobe2.jpg

Cobe3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the H.D. Carpenter scrapbook, cropped and original. Bob 

DSCF6225.JPG

DSCF6227.JPG

Not quite as old as some but this was taken in January 1987 - doesn't time fly. Yours truly at a local Wings and Wheels event at an airfield circuit which is now a housing subdivision. I still have the car, although the 'hot' engine no longer exists. 

72728760_2465129526873424_1034473784121229312_o.jpg

• Like 1

A photo taken at a Wings and Wheels event in the 1980s. The car - a 1931 Riley Brooklands  - is significant in that it is the same car that won the first race for the Lady Wigram trophy held on the same circuit in 1949.

72047958_2452741454778898_4133802968954699776_o.jpg

In October 1986 a 'classic sprint' was held around the internationally known tourist town of Queenstown. My car is there on the right. The two red cars there both are historically significant.  Car #12 is the 1935 Alfa Romeo Tipo B which the great Tazio Nuvolari used to win the 1935 German Grand Prix against the might of the Nazi-funded Silver Arrows. The car had a racing history here in NZ during the 1950s and was restored in the 1970s. It is now in a collection in Switzerland I think. The Ferrari on the left is a 375MM which had a racing history - I recall Masten Gregory was one of several drivers who raced it. It had lost its correct engine and was running a road type 330GT unit. The full story of that car can be found here.   http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/0370AM.375MM.htm

86 Queenstown.jpg

Locomobile racer in first Vanderbilt Cup Race, Oct. 6, 1906.  Joe Tracy and mechanic Al Poole swinging around Westbury's hairpin turn on their record 69 MPH  Lap.  The team had won the trials two weeks previously but 11 tire failures killed their chances on the sixth.

Our AACA Library & Research Center was recently donated an amazing trophy form Al Poole's family from  a Guggenheim Race.  It is stunning close up and to add to the great provenance we now have a pair of his goggles.  As a  vintage racer myself  (not sure if I am worthy of that description) I literally was trembling holding these as I can only imagine what those goggles have seen.  Thank you to Jim Poole and his sister!  It is a real treasure to have!

Poole.jpg

Poole 2.jpg

Poole 3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, twin6 said:

14.jpg

Me Thinks ya like the Maxwells. Got one?

Howard Dennis

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

An interesting Article on the "Brief History oh Model T Racing" courtesy of "Antique Automobile" Christmas 1959 , Vol. 23, No. 6

384381709_1926Hamlin.thumb.jpg.bec3b922fda2046000987c86b009e5dd.jpg

1919 T Speedster.jpg

Kulick's 1910 Racer.jpg

Bullock 1922 Pikes Peak.jpg

Barber-Warnock 1923.jpg

1926 Hamlin.jpg

Edited by stevep516
Duplicated Photo (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow! This thread is great. Keep it going!!!

Since we are on Model Ts, here is my recently acquired 1915 Kuempel-Ford racecar and some period ads.

sp1.jpg

sp2.jpg

sp3.jpg

sp4.jpg

sp5.jpg

sp7.jpg

• Thanks 1

Here's L.L. Corum 10 years later in a 1933 Studebaker car.  This is the car that sold recently for $1.1 million, now in a museum in Salt Lake City.

249041646_1933_47CarCorum-K35614.thumb.jpg.dc90c61cf0b1f0c074a1eb5f0fc8f1f1.jpg

Gary, Was the one that sold the green one that had an earlier radiator shell in the Pebble Beach auction? Bob