Period RACE CAR Images to Relieve some of the Stress

20 hours ago, AHa said:

1906 Darracq

1907_Darracq_Grand_Prix_car.jpg

Notice the size of those headlights!

I suspect that this is the same car - or at least the engine crankcase is the same.

Long story - some of which I know through being acquainted with one of the car's owners - which must be on the net somewhere.  

See the source image

While there are some similarities, there are definite differences between the two cars. You cannot, however, set us up with this long story and then not tell it.

Here is the 1905 V8 car,

1905 Darracq 200 | Review | SuperCars.net

And the same car today. The brainchild of Paul Ribeyrolles, the car was bought by Algernon Guinness around 1906 and he kept the car till his death in 1954. Gerald Firkin bought the car and kept it til 2006 when it was purchased by Mark Walker who owns the car today.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by AHa (see edit history)

moving up to a more modern day photo, this was taken at the old Fairgrounds Raceway in Richmond, Va., the Spring NASCAR race, May 1966. Waiting to qualify, me in Worth McMillion's  # 83, 1965 Pontiac and Curtis Turner driving Smokey Yunick's number 22, 1965 Chevrolet. This photo was taken from the announcers stand, interesting to enlarge the photo and see the crude wiring etc.  Wonder how many of todays high paid announcers in their air conditioned booths could broadcast from here?

83 fairgrounds.jpg

15 hours ago, real61ss said:

moving up to a more modern day photo, this was taken at the old Fairgrounds Raceway in Richmond, Va., the Spring NASCAR race, May 1966. Waiting to qualify, me in Worth McMillion's  # 83, 1965 Pontiac and Curtis Turner driving Smokey Yunick's number 22, 1965 Chevrolet. This photo was taken from the announcers stand, interesting to enlarge the photo and see the crude wiring etc.  Wonder how many of todays high paid announcers in their air conditioned booths could broadcast from here?

83 fairgrounds.jpg

I used to get a kick out of reading some of Smokey's stuff.

Even met him and his dogs once.

Does that Chevelle look small to anyone ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AHa said:

Whaddaya spose this is?

The fastest cars in history: 1894 to 1914

It is the Gobron-Brillie that Louis Rigolly used to break the land speed record at 104 mph in 1904. The tube frame is a distinctive feature.

The photo is on wiki with a caption - that I take to read -  was taken at the Gaillon hill climb in 1904.

Here is a 'naked' one.

I wonder how much chassis flex it got at speed.

See the source image

1 hour ago, AHa said:

Now here's a fun one. Underslung chassis built to go on snow I guess and the motor is outside the car. Who in the world thought this up? Those have got to be  bicycle wheels or at least hubs.

Bugattis Did it Too | RECENT POSTS

One of the ancestors of the Midget racing car - story here - btw the wheels are too big and heavy to be bicycle - https://loosefillings.com/2015/12/13/bugattis-did-it-too/

1 hour ago, AHa said:

Now here's a fun one. Underslung chassis built to go on snow I guess and the motor is outside the car. Who in the world thought this up? Those have got to be  bicycle wheels or at least hubs.

Bugattis Did it Too | RECENT POSTS

That is an interesting one. In England, and parts of Europe, the "cyclecar craze" lasted much longer than the short time the USA enjoyed playing with them. USA cyclecr craze only lasted about 1912 into 1915. England and parts of Europe, in a large part due to the horsepower taxation systems common there, continued manufacturing, driving, and even racing in significant numbers cyclecars for decades beyond. And some would argue that it even continues to this day. Racing of these little cars became a significant sport throughout the '20s and '30s. I have seen (do not have copies) numerous photographs of silly (to us here) little cars with bicycle type wheels and single cylinder or V-twin motors mounted outside the car. Motorcycle motors on spindly chassis with lightweight bodies. I once saw a short Newsreel clip of a race, they got pretty wild!

I haven't ever noticed anything quite like those runners however. I can't believe they would do any good in snow or ice. Without a special drive-wheel, one couldn't get enough traction with the runners sitting on random-depth snow to get any speed or distance. I suspect they were more somebody's silly idea or "style".

(Got interrupted again, nzcarnerd slipped in, but I will leave mine how I wrote it?) (He IS right about the bicycle wheels,  they in fact would NOT be strong enough to take the punishment of racing with the weight of a motorcycle engine added with a driver.)