1969 White Truck Rescue.

Dandy Dave

Been working on a 1969 White 9000 Dump Truck off and on for around a week. Has a Cummings Model NHC 225 HP Diesel. It has been sleeping for many years. It was left behind on some property that a friend bought recently. He could use it around the property. We figured that it had not run for 15 to 20 years. Got it fired up and does it sound sweet. 70 pounds of oil pressure. Hits on all 6 cylinders with no knocks or rattles. And no white smoke which would indicate un burnt fuel.  Need to get the clutch unstuck,  an air line or two fixed, and some other stuff done before it will drive out of the hole. Dandy Dave!  

IMG_2408.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Often times letting the vehicle sit and idle for two or three hours will unstick the clutch. The heat from the engine takes that long to reach the flywheel. The change on temperature will break it free 99 percent to the time. Good luck.

• Like 2

Hi Dave - and congrats on saving this beast. 

If all else fails, sometimes starting and driving in lowest gear will free up the clutch-

Then before it sticks again due t moisture and rust, slipping it to polish the flywheel may also help -

Easier to try this rather than remove, especially in this heavy a rig !

• Like 1

Never ceases to amaze me that people will just walk away from a vehicle like that.  Did they forget they owned it, did the owner die, bankruptcy?  I get angry when I forget a tool somewhere but a truck!   Glad you were there to save it before the Gods of rust claimed it.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
Stupidity (see edit history)
  • Like 2

You don't ever want to work on the engine of that truck. one head under the hood, one head under the firewall and

one head inside the cab. All that and the engine sits at a 14 degree tilt, making it even more fun if you have to

remove or install the engine. Not the most user friendly truck ever built.

Dave

Assuming it is an in line 855 CI cummins. if not, it may even be harder.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Hi Dave - and congrats on saving this beast. 

If all else fails, sometimes starting and driving in lowest gear will free up the clutch-

Then before it sticks again due t moisture and rust, slipping it to polish the flywheel may also help -

Easier to try this rather than remove, especially in this heavy a rig !

Yup. I've done all of that on some in the past and more. I have even jacked up the rear wheels on farm tractors and worked the brakes with the tractor running and in gear to get the clutch free. Another trick that sometimes works on stuff like this is jack up one wheel and chain a pipe though the rims. Put the transmission in high and cut a piece of wood to hold the clutch down. Then push and pull the pipe against the engine compression.  

3 minutes ago, Dave Gray said:

You don't ever want to work on the engine of that truck. one head under the hood, one head under the firewall and

one head inside the cab. All that and the engine sits at a 14 degree tilt, making it even more fun if you have to

remove or install the engine. Not the most user friendly truck ever built.

Dave

Assuming it is an in line 855 CI cummins. if not, it may even be harder.

Yup. Best way to work on it is to pull that cab and nose off of it. I drove a 1963 White of similar size and a similar cummings diesel a bunch of years ago. Taking a bit to refresh my memory on some things. I had to pull the starter out and put it back in. Like lifting weights. And there is only one slot that it will fit out of and in way up near the front axel. Not the first time I've done one of these. Certainly not my favorite job. Dandy Dave!