Missing piece on hand throttle???

bpolson

Inspired by Hugh's note on another thread that the hand throttle should make the floor pedal go to the floor, I thought I'd take a closer look.    My hand throttle seems to move nicely, but doesn't more the floor pedal do anything.   Shown here seems to be the most logical point the linkages should be attached in some fashion - and I assume I'm missing a part.   If someone has a pic or diagram of how these are connected, it would be appreciated.   Thanks.

IMG_1074.thumb.jpg.647d35946e30d1429ca2b4feea648959.jpg

Bruce, 

Yes, you are missing a small part.  See "back clamp" and "front clamp".  You can use a "drill stop" as Larry suggests.  You can also take a piece of Aluminum and bend it into a U shape and use a nut and bolt.  Attached is photo of the part from the other Larry.  You should have 2 of these.  One for the return spring and one for the hand throttle.   I do not know what is on your car as the photo does not capture it all, but if they put the spring on the big clamp, then move the big clamp back to the pedal position and you can make a spring clamp even easier as the spring clamps are just sheet metal.  See Dave Blaufarbs photo.  

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/340847-1925-buick-spark-and-throttle-lever-adjustment/?tab=comments#comment-2002715

Hugh

1207689362_throttleleverconnections.thumb.JPG.b99acbb4d8c9dc34f601d2fad7c9b519.JPG

DSCF7318.thumb.JPG.aa6063ddc2e3311a4a85d7df32f74389.JPG

IMG_4216.thumb.JPG.3c0b992ce30419e1c5e74acc48d42807.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

Thanks again Hugh.    Makes sense now.   I need the item labeled 'back clam'p'.   I can come up with something to make that work.

IMG_1080.thumb.jpg.65e5be5f0b31267b125479713e949437.jpg

My setup is a bit different for whatever reason.   My throttle rod has a much bigger curve in it.   Note that it runs above my add-on fuel pressure regulator, so that's not the issue for the sharper curves.   Seems to work so I'm OK here.

IMG_1078.thumb.jpg.c4dd03a5c6a3c17a813612b4a2f26aa7.jpg

Also,  it seems my spark advance rod connects much differently.  However, it doesn't seem to rotate the distributor very much.    I think this is wrong too, but perhaps something for another day.

IMG_1079.thumb.jpg.568edb231c01922ec9ed9616d96b652b.jpg

It looks like someone welded the throttle rod together.  Originally they placed the clamps on the rod and then did the bending.

Clamping shaft collar for a 3/16 rod from McMaster Carr,  $2.80

https://www.mcmaster.com/split-collars/construction~one-piece/clamping-shaft-collars-9/

https://www.mcmaster.com/6435k51

Regarding your distributor, if you disconnect the rod that is attached to it, will the distributor rotate to both ends of the slot on the hold down bolt.  Check the housing with a magnet to see if it is potmetal.  If it is potmetal, you will want to replace it.

Thanks again all.   For the hand throttle, I found this - a little more expensive but should be easy to install:

https://www.amazon.com/Climax-Metal-H2C-018-Collar-Finish/dp/B000P0OE6Q/ref=sr_1_29?dchild=1&keywords=two+piece+shaft+collar+3%2F16&qid=1586448578&sr=8-29

On the timing advance, everything is free enough - my disty turns fine.   I think there is something off about the linkage between the base of the steering column and the shaft that runs along the firewall behind the engine.  The arm on that shaft is pointing down on Hugh's picture above, and mine points up (see last picture I posted).   that's probably where I'll start my troubleshooting.     Thanks again.

Edited by bpolson (see edit history)

End of travel to end of travel on the spark adjuster steering wheel knob is equal (plus a little) to end to end on the distributor rotation hold down slot.  This is so it makes the full travel but the rods never push against the stops if adjusted correctly.  Sometimes people flipped the lever on the shaft above the starter motor so that the retard operation mimics a Ford Model A.  Ford was reverse of Buick.  Full retard on the later 20's Buick is all the way down. On the Ford it is full retard all the way up.  Your arm should point down.  

That's good guidance.    Mine has very little movement of the distributor - not ever enough to notice by ear.    

BTW - this is a beautiful car - with beautiful pictures - but I'm not learning  too much about hand throttle setup on this picture :) {right hand drive --- sheesh}

https://www.favcars.com/buick-master-six-sport-roadster-27x-54-1927-pictures-353163.htm

Edited by bpolson (see edit history)