1948 Dodge transmission question

Pretty sure this is an easy fix for someone. I have not had these transmissions apart enough to see where I am wrong and I am not understanding the manual. The dark pictures do not help.

I removed the shifter cover on my 3 speed trans to fix the leak and stupid me decided to see how the trans shifts. Didn't think anything of it. Thought I had every back to where it was. Well put cover back on. refilled with gear oil, and now I find I only have R 1st and 2nd. It will shift easily on the column through all positions but when going from 2nd to 3rd it won't change the gear even though it does on the column.  Here is a picture of the placement of the my gears and rails when the car is in nuetral.  First and reverse are fine. 2nd and 3rd I shift and it stays in 2nd.

20200408_171018.jpg

Is it a Fluid Drive?

I did the same thing on my Chrysler.

I took the cover off again and put the tranny in neutral.

Then put the cover back on with the two shift linkage arms both facing down at 90 degrees which will be neutral. Reconnected the linkage(s).

Everything worked fine after that.

Fluid drive car yes.  I have been told from another board that when the reverse-first rail is in neutral the 2nd gear rail forks should align with the reverse-first forks. So looking at my picture that means just sliding the 2nd gear fork over to the right one detent click, correct ?

4 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Fluid drive car yes.  I have been told from another board that when the reverse-first rail is in neutral the 2nd gear rail forks should align with the reverse-first forks. So looking at my picture that means just sliding the 2nd gear fork over to the right one detent click, correct ?

I cannot answer that question with a definitive yes.

All I know is the trans should be in neutral and then the fork is installed into the housing making sure the linkage arms should be facing down at 90 degrees.

• Like 1