1955 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe - Not Mine - Price Reduced to $7k

For Sale on Ebay: 

1955 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe 4 door sedan in Euclid, OH  -  Buy It Now Price $8,999.00 OBO  -  call Stan 216-598-7011

Link to Auction: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293539995553?ViewItem=&vxp=mtr&item=293539995553

Seller's Description:

Thank you for looking at our 1955 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe. This is an absolutely beautiful car. This is a true survivor from 1955. The title is clean and the miles are exceeded. This car starts easily and drives 100%. It has power steering and brakes, automatic, and its easy to drive, easy to maneuver and will hold 6 people. The paint on it is just so nice, we think its original because we see no signs of it ever being repainted. The interior is definitely original and the underneath of the car is very solid, just flaking a little bit, but a lot less than it should be, being that the car is 65 years old. The trunk compartment is very clean and it comes with a brush to dust the car off at car shows. If you look at all the pictures I took of this car and blow them up on a full size computer screen, you will definitely appreciate the beautiful, original condition this car is in. If you can stop by and drive it, you'll know for sure before you actually bid or buy, you'll see nice it drives and shifts. This is a hemi motor, which was an option back in the day. That adds a lot of value to the car and a lot of smoothness in the car's performance. The motor sounds perfect, no misses or anything. It's just amazing how nice it sounds. The exhaust is 100% quiet. The brakes are to the top but they will need to be serviced because when the cars sit, they develop a little bit of rust on the drums. So the drums and brake pads will need to be cleaned to make the car 100% safe to drive anywhere. The battery is good, but its weak. So if you don't start the car for a couple weeks, it may start or it may not. That's why a new fresh battery would help. The driver's window has a hairline crack in the middle which may or may not be seen in the pictures. The rest of the windows are perfect. You need to see the car to appreciate how nice it is. Anybody who wants a cool car to drive this summer with their whole family would definitely get a blast out of this car!

Auction also has link to additional 166 photos and 3 videos  https://www.flickr.com/photos/141282928@N08/sets/72157713706441453/

image.png.6a22229821b0c321a622c3aadfb45db8.png

image.png.e7230067debbfa07c82558fd79dd6a36.png

image.png.5cbcb674e3e82c68ed5ea25ff91d8542.png

image.png.1bfb59db681270663a23d45f86b88294.png

image.png.f5e24d042c88155b337d56ed4a6951dc.png

image.png.33d75d6d63cfaa76c93f9c8948e30b86.png

image.png.93e0c3d51f8973f3f0bf896c6e6df83d.png

image.png.828d7f8ad637eecf0bcb2d940797bde4.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update price (see edit history)

I somewhat know this car, as it is at the local cruise night and the owner and I have talked several times when he spotted Melanie's '56 Chrysler wagon. Not a bad car, and the price is right. It does need some TLC but it's there every week which I presume means it runs and drives well enough. It's complete and while everything is a little scruffy, I'd probably leave it as-is and enjoy. I don't like the extra fan and that kind of suggests a hot runner, but a re-cored radiator and cleaning the engine should fix that--Melanie's wagon runs ice cold and I've never been able to get it hot, even with a towel over the radiator. So if anyone is interested, it's local to me and I could check it out in more detail, but for $8000 I think it's a lot of car for the money even as-is.

• Like 5

A somewhat less common, but really attractive, color combination. I think that the interior would clean up fairly well. Uneven wear on spare tire indicates some front end problems that may or may not have been addressed in the past. I wouldn't let that keep me from buying it, though.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I would find a spare tire that didn't make one think a $1500 front end rebuild was pending.

Funny thing about parades. If a parade has a lot of starts and stops you put the car in Park or Neutral frequently. If the parade moves along steadily you stay in drive with your foot on the brake building up a lot of heat in the transmission and into the lower tank of the radiator. I steady parade gets my Electra to puke right in front of the grandstand. Slow and jerky does just fine. 401 c. i. and a tripple Turbine Dynaflow can do that to you.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 5:14 PM, 6T-FinSeeker said:

image.png.93e0c3d51f8973f3f0bf896c6e6df83d.png

I once had a two door hard top version of this car several years ago. My paint scheme was apparently part of a "Spring Special" package offered when the car was new. It was essentially a white car with sort of aqua blue trim.  Mine had a 301 V8. The car was comfortable and roomy, but always struck me as sort of ponderous in it's handling. Even though it was a running driving car in good structural condition and visually a 30-40 footer, it was a project that I never got to, so I never licensed it for the road.

Anyway, the reason for my post: Would that steering wheel be off another car or just what happens to blue plastic from the fifties after it fades for several decades? I can't imagine a wheel that color being put in that interior (by the factory) on purpose.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

5 hours ago, JamesR said:

Would that steering wheel be off another car or just what happens to blue plastic from the fifties after it fades for several decades? I can't imagine a wheel that color being put in that interior (by the factory) on purpose.

I'm quite sure that the steering wheel has

faded or changed color due to age and sun.

I agree, James, that it wouldn't have looked

like that originally.

13 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Now if you can find me a 37-39 Chrysler in driving condition close to TX !   Why a Chrysler?  I like the badging on the front hood.

I just posted 3 ads for you in "Cars For Sale": one for a 1937 Chrysler and two 1939 Chryslers.  Nothing in Texas. 

Good luck! 

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 1:19 PM, Matt Harwood said:

I somewhat know this car, as it is at the local cruise night and the owner and I have talked several times when he spotted Melanie's '56 Chrysler wagon. Not a bad car, and the price is right. It does need some TLC but it's there every week which I presume means it runs and drives well enough. It's complete and while everything is a little scruffy, I'd probably leave it as-is and enjoy. I don't like the extra fan and that kind of suggests a hot runner, but a re-cored radiator and cleaning the engine should fix that--Melanie's wagon runs ice cold and I've never been able to get it hot, even with a towel over the radiator. So if anyone is interested, it's local to me and I could check it out in more detail, but for $8000 I think it's a lot of car for the money even as-is.

Matt Harwood:  This looks like a pretty nice car to me as well.  Can you tell me what year Chrysler went to 12-volts.  In Florida the next car I ever get is going to have to have A/C, add-on or original.

1 hour ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Matt Harwood:  This looks like a pretty nice car to me as well.  Can you tell me what year Chrysler went to 12-volts.  In Florida the next car I ever get is going to have to have A/C, add-on or original.

1956 was the first year for 12 volts at Chrysler. We're working on adding A/C to Melanie's '56 Town & Country, but probably won't get to it until next winter. We'll have to fabricate our own brackets and I'm going to use an under-dash box so it looks period-correct in the cabin and modern components up front.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

1956 was the first year for 12 volts at Chrysler. We're working on adding A/C to Melanie's '56 Town & Country, but probably won't get to it until next winter. We'll have to fabricate our own brackets and I'm going to use an under-dash box so it looks period-correct in the cabin and modern components up front.

Wow, I didn't know they were 12-volt....that is great.  I seem to remember Chrysler introduced the Alternator in 1960, but at my age memory can be really faulty.  There is a place near here that does install A/C in old cars.  Re-core the radiator and have them build the brackets and it could be a fun driver.  The fact you've seen it means a lot to me.

On 4/20/2020 at 6:19 AM, Brooklyn Beer said:

Now if you can find me a 37-39 Chrysler in driving condition close to TX !   Why a Chrysler?  I like the badging on the front hood.

There is a pretty darned nice looking 39 Chrysler at that Country-something dealership in Illinois.  Check out the glove box door.

• Like 1

56 is correct.

59 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

I misread Matt Harwood's post saying 1956 was the first 12-volt Chrysler.  I read 1955...duh.  That makes a big difference to me.  I don't want to get into re-wiring.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gossp said:

I like the car, but that seems like strong bidding for it on eBay.... All things considered. 

I did bid on it, but not the high bid.  I talked to the man too.  I think this is the best mid-fifties Chrysler on ebay, but after discussing it with a California buddy of mine who drives a Hemi DeSoto all over the USA for tours, we decided there was too much rust underneath.  However, I wasn't ever sure of that.  The last pictures show a frame with what looks like some rust holes in it.  Being a Buick guy I have only heard that Chrysler cars did not have a separate frame, but I'm not sure that is true in 1955.  If I was sure I didn't see what I thought I saw I would have bought it.  It didn't quite make his unannounced reserve, but I think in the end the high bidder will get it.  I looked at a number of dealer offers on 1955-1956 Chryslers and none could match this car.  There is what looks like a very good plain jane 1955 DeSoto at that same dealer in Staunton, Illinois who has the very good 1939 Chrysler Royal for sale.  There is a 1937 Buick coupe for sale by a dealer for only $13,900 that looks like a steal to me.  I just have enough pre-war Buicks now, unless a '41 Limited comes up that is good and reasonable.

This 1955 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe 4 door sedan was just relisted with a Buy-It-Now price of $8,500.00

Ebay Private listing:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Chrysler-New-Yorker 

The new Buy-It-Now price is only $200 above the Reserve Not Met price of $8,300 from yesterday.

One of the coolest "futuristic" features on the '55 was the dash mounted gear selector, because who want's to lift one's hand all the way up to the steering column to put the car in drive? I was really impressed with that feature, though the plastic knob on my selector shaft was seriously deteriorated. I'm guessing those aren't easy to find, and aren't cheap when you do find them.

On 4/24/2020 at 8:31 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

I did bid on it, but not the high bid.  I talked to the man too.  I think this is the best mid-fifties Chrysler on ebay,

The Buy-It-Now price has been reduced to $8,299.00... (same as the Reserve Not Met bid of $8,300 from 4/23/20)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gossp said:

I think you were bidding about where the money should be. 

Well, not necessarily.  If I had somebody to go there and poke a screwdriver around here and there on the chassis, I'd probably be willing to pay his price.  That 331 Hemi and 727 transmission is hard to top in a 50s car.  But, I saw stuff in the last four pictures of the chassis that scared me off, rightly or wrongly.

48 minutes ago, 6T-FinSeeker said:

OK, just wanted to make sure you knew where the Buy-It-Now pricing was at in case you wanted to pursue it. 

Just read the answer below.  I'd like to find a good 331 Hemi with a 727 tranny for a fair price, but the the last 4 pictures of the frame scared me off.  What do you think about a 318 cid Y-Block Ford engine with a Hydramatic?

I always get the names of these trannys mixed up in these cars. (Torque Flight and Power Flight)

This 1955 car will have the two speed transmission as opposed to the three speed that came about in mid 1956.

However neither one is a 727.

There are ways to put a 727 onto a 331, 354, 392 with available kits. You will need a 727 from an LA engine.

52 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I always get the names of these trannys mixed up in these cars. (Torque Flight and Power Flight)

This 1955 car will have the two speed transmission as opposed to the three speed that came about in mid 1956.

However neither one is a 727.

There are ways to put a 727 onto a 331, 354, 392 with available kits. You will need a 727 from an LA engine.

Okay I messed up on that.  Give a Buick collector a break. 😀 What is a LA engine?

Small block Mopar. 318, 340, 360.

Most cars came with the lighter 904 automatic and the 727s were mostly on the big blocks.

However most truck 360s had 727s. As well as the more performance related small block cars.

They don't interchange between the LA (small block) and the B (big block) engines.

It is interesting that the later small block Mopars have the same bellhousing to engine bolt pattern as the first gen Hemis but wont bolt on because the alignment pins are in a different place.

An irony is that the flywheel flange on the first gen Hemis hang out a ways from the block. This permits the use of a spacer that will put the later tranny on the early Hemi.

There are several kits that will let you put different trannys on the early Hemis.

I am partial to four speeds.

That aluminum piece between the block and bell is part of that adapter kit I was referring to.

It also lets you use the later starter.

IM002814.JPG

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)