Undercarriage paint

valk

Anyone have any recommendations regarding black paint for the undercarriage, differential, wheels, coils, backside of fenders, etc? I tried some Rustoleum Satin but it seems a bit too glossy. Is flat the way to go? Thanks,

Peter

Peter,   

Flat is not the way to go.   I use Nassons (Duponts less expensive brand).   Paint is mixed  "single stage" (clear in the paint) or  "base clear" (clear over what you paint).  Paint code #99 is black with no extras, and you will use this all over the car.  If you buy the black, base clear component, it will provide a chassis black semi gloss right out of the can.  If you want gloss black for other parts, just spray over what you have painted with Nassons clear.  It's very versatile.   Spraying single stage black is easy, but I also have a fair amount of stuff that needs semi gloss.  One other thing that I have done with it is use a paint brush and stipple it on.  To stipple is to push the brush flat against the surface and not drag it.  I did the stipple effect to the exposed frame that is above my gas tank, and it looks great.  I do all my suspension components in this color.   I use Acrylic enamel.     Hugh

• Like 1

Thanks, Hugh, for your thoughtful response. I looked on the Nason website and could not find #99 but did find a chassis black available only in gallons. In truth, I'm hoping to find a readily available aerosol alternative in a popular brand like Rustoleum. It comes in flat, satin, semi-gloss and gloss so i'm hoping one of these would suffice for my driver. 

Peter

Peter, 

Black #99 is an actual paint code.  It is the paint code you will find on several car tags under the hood or in the door jamb.  You can get this in pint, quart or gallon.  They have to mix it at the store.  Only a few autopart stores sell paints anymore.  Of the 4 O'Reily Autoparts in a 20 mile radius, only 1 mixes paint.  

If you want to use a good aresol alternative, consider VHT brand gloss black spray paint.  Most auto part stores carry it.  It is a 2 part epoxy in a spray can.  It is one of the most durable sprays in a can.  It is used typically for painting strut towers.  It also requires no primer.  Sometimes it does not seem to spray quite as glossy as true enamel spray paint so it makes a good chassis color.  Being a primer as well, if you don't like the color, just spray over it with something else.    

Duplicolor is also an automotove paint, but it is usually a lacquer, so not as durable as VHT.

Rustoleum is an enamel, but it does not have an activator, so it is also not that durable.  Some rustoleum is also oil based - which is where they got started.  Oil based paints should be avoided on your car.

Hugh 

Thanks again Hugh - very helpful. Doesn’t sound like Rustoleum is a particularly bad choice and my car doesn’t face the elements so I think I’ll go with that as it’s easy to get. Your response goes into my reference file. 
peter

• Like 1

Eastwood offers satin black chassis paint that also looks pretty good and I can get it in a couple days. I think I’ll settle for this as I’m generally impatient and lazy...

thanks Hugh and Kgreen for your suggestions. 

• Like 1

I paced around for about 20 minutes before I went ahead and sprayed the rear with the Rustoleum on hand and it turned out ok. Definitly in the "better-than-it-was" catagory.  I need to spray the area above the tank next and might try the "stipple" technique Hugh mentioned above. 

buickrear.jpg.d285d8ce213358c2832f98b96a5710b6.jpg