WW2 Automobile Home-Front Related - Show Us Your Piece of History!

Real Steel

World-War-Two automobile home-front items are anything having to do with the way things changed for the sake of supporting the War.

Items include 'Blackout' type cars, auto-related items saved from the WW2 scarp drives, metal items missing a finishing coat, and much more. 

I'm hoping that there is an international response...everyone is welcome to share their piece of history, regardless of the 'side' your country was on.

These eight identification tags are what's left of a WW2 Scrap Processing Center.  Vehicles brought to the center were sometimes salvaged for usable parts to keep existing cars going during the war.  Those parts were then saved and resold.  These tags were placed on/in storage areas to help keep things organized.  Tucked into the tag holder is a small strip of colored paper; these are most likely scrap tickets for labeling individual items...they themselves are cut-up re-purposed cards.

Scrap.jpg

Edited by Real Steel (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First picture is a licence topper issued to commemorate the royal visit of King George VI and the queen in May/June 1939 to bolster Canada/USA support for the coming war.

Second picture is a 1944 Ontario licence sticker which replaced steel plates for all but trailers to preserve resources for the war effort.

Third picture is of a book of gasoline ration stickers,which were still required for a time after the war ended.

IMG_1639.JPG

IMG_1641.JPG

IMG_1638.JPG

• Like 3

The National Speed Sport News was a weekly newspaper type publication, during WWII they combined prewar race coverage into these annuals. Last photo shows the Midget Track inside Hershey Stadium. Bob ……………………… Forgot, I can only post TWO photos per day. I'll try again tomorrow. Bob 

DSCF6123.JPG

DSCF6124.JPG

• Like 1

This photo is a WWII soldier with his mom here in the town I live.  It was given to me by a friend.  If you look close at the front license plate it does not have the official PA state front tag.  They were discontinued during the war to save metal.  In its place is a AAA license plate promoting the war effort.

26300638-05D0-400D-85C9-0777FA756F49.jpeg

• Like 1

To go along with my earlier photo, here is the PA registration tag for 1943.  It was attached to the 1942 tag as a way to save metal.  
The top photo is 1944-45 when only one license plate was used.

6EB0EEA6-6279-4E89-A27B-739C4BFB2B39.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1