Need advice

Thanks for your input 

sorry as I said the pictures aren’t the best the doors see to be ok and maybe the one was ajar when I snapped the photo. 
but not sure all the good parts are there to be found. 
so if I offer 1000or less would I be to low? 
tganks 

Timcarguy, That is definitely a '22 Type A sedan as far as I can see ,depending on upholstery. Type A had striped grey broadcloth Type B (business) had leather and the front seat was able to fold forward to get packages into the rear. I do notice it has the original Leece Neville 'FatMan' steering wheel. Where is the car located? I purchased one very much similar condition from a fellow at a tax lien auction. One thing to consider is these disk wheels are one year only and first year for disk replacing previous wire wheels. The '23 disk wheels are different where the disk fastens to the rim. Anyone taking on this project should be able to do Much of your own wood work as the cost of a restoration shop will make it economically unfeasible to ever recoup any investment value. In this current state, given there are many things not readily evident, would be as mentioned $2,000 to $4,000  Enjoy the ride.  

You don't mention anything about the mechanics.  Does the engine turn over?  Is the clutch stuck?  Will it shift through the gears? Any signs of cracks in the block or water seepage? Radiator appears good?

I haven’t looked at the car over well but now I will as your questions give me things to check. 
what else can I check. 

near chocolate town 

sound like the year is maybe rare being the first year of a 4 door? 
Is there a place to check numbers possibly 

thanks again for all the help 

tim 

SN plate might be found under floor mat on the passenger side. Front area next to firewall. A ‘28 I saw, it was located there. 
Additionally on the right side frame member. SN stamped in to frame. Just to the rear of the front spring rear hanger. 
Starting SN 761408, ending SN 826401. 
Individual production numbers for each model of 1922 DB car are not available. 

In a reference book I have it states that in 1922 DB cars had a multiple disc dry clutch. 2 wheel mechanical brakes. The second series of DB cars in 1922 had exterior door handles. (among other things)First series in 1922 did not.  I suspect you have a series 2 car if it is indeed a 1922 year. 

Approximately  65,000 series 2 cars of all models were built. They so say about 98,310 series one cars were built in 1922. 

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

Guys,

I see the starting crank sticking in front so wouldn't be too difficult to see if the engine is froze up. By the way, actually the 1919 sedan was the first transition from center door to four doors. Jay states several things I would look at before buying, such as is there a spare wheel and carrier on rear? Also condition of wood seats, seat springs, upholstery, inner / outer door knobs pillar lock, etc.  Further the chassis number on '22 will be on the frame cross member just in front of the seat on Pass side and on (if there is one) the metal tag on the upper toe board. The chassis number switch to side of frame rear of front spring (where they would likely be prefixed by the letter "A")   did not happen until the major frame change in '24.  The engine number should be appx. 50,000 higher than that chassis number. The body number will be found stamped into the wood at the rear door threshold and possibly under the bottom of that door. I chose to NOT do a complete restoration of mine rather do all mechanical and safety things to get it roadworthy and leave it as a 'Barn Find' with all it's original 'Patina'. In addition there may have been originally a Stewart model 158 single bar bumper front and rear. Good Luck and enjoy the search!

Sorry to mislead on the first year sedan. I do know you won't see many. I also think the outside door handle being added half way through the year was for touring cars as a sedan has to have an outside handle in order to get in. When you go to look at it take a good look at how the widows go up and down. It is pretty ingenious how they lock into place. 

Three and a half years ago I bought a 36 four door sedan that magically showed up in a garage on my street.  It hadn't moved for 40 years.  It was pretty much complete but was clearly going to need a lot of work to get it driveable much less pretty.
All I can say to you is that parts for a 22 will be a lot harder to get than they are for my 36.  You better be able to handle much or all of the work yourself.
If you pay $1000 for it you will double and triple that amount in short order just dealing with things like fuel system, cooling system, brakes, and tires.  Start talking about paint and upholstery and triple what you've spent so far.
Now look at online reports of what such a car is bringing these days.
I was seduced and I'm not sorry about what I've spent and accomplished so far but I'm pretty sure that I couldn't get out of my car today what I have in it.  If you have the means and the passion, the time and the energy, go for it.  Otherwise you may want to pass on it, tempting though it may be...

First off I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my post. An information has been very helpful. 
the motor turns over and scrappers stole the hood the car is in pretty good shape as I see from all you have helped me to look at. 
thanks again 

and please keep the information coming 

I love learning new 

thanks Tim 

Thanks Pete in pa 

I know it will be a big expense and project!!!

i am so glad I came here and ask advice 

I like to restore as close to original as possible. Maybe this car is for the pros or street machine material. 
many advice on that statement. Just wondering 

thanks 

Tim 

If it was left outside for years 500

in a shed with some protection 1000

in my opinion I think a good place to start is at 2000 and top out at 3000. 

my advice for anyone selling a car is get the motor to run. Even if it can only do it for a few seconds. If the motor was running (doesn’t have to charge can piss oil. Choke cough sputter smoke.but run) you can go up to 6000. In my opinion a running motor can double the asking price. 

• Like 1