Stearns Knight Militare Five seater, Six cylinder sleeve valve.

Early twenties Stearns Knight Militare six cylinder sleeve valve open touring five seater car. This is literally a barn find.  It has not run since 2010. It is complete and original. No rust, no rot. Dry, dusty and cobwebs all over it, but a totally complete car for an easy restoration. Located in a dry concrete floored, steel barn in Northern California.  $35,000.

IMG_2777.JPG

IMG_2763.JPG

IMG_2767.JPG

IMG_2783.JPG

IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_2786.JPG

IMG_2789.JPG

• Like 3

I have not moved it so I do not know, but it drove into where it is currently 10 years ago and it has oil in it. I do not want to damage it by attempting to turn it over yet.  There is no reason why it should be free, other cars and planes in the same barn are all dusty and dry and nothing is seized.

15 hours ago, 1jag4me said:

I have not moved it so I do not know, but it drove into where it is currently 10 years ago and it has oil in it. I do not want to damage it by attempting to turn it over yet.  There is no reason why it should be free, other cars and planes in the same barn are all dusty and dry and nothing is seized.

That is a cool car.   The issue is that the sleeves will bind up more readily than a regular poppet valved car.   So one that is not run regularly is prone to freezing.   With patience and care,  they can be unstuck,  but not by dragging the car around and popping the clutch.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 2

What a rarity!  Looks to be their 130 inch wheelbase largest 1923-'24 Model SK6 with the 268.8 cid engine,  or the 1925-'26 Model 6-S with a 288.5 cid engine.   Priced in the range of $2,400 up to $3,700 over their span, they were direct competitors for the Packard Six and Eight.     Stearns-Knight production: 1923: 1,543; 1924: 1,945; 1925: 1,575; 1926: 987 according to the Kimes and Clark edited Standard Catalogue, that would include both fours and sixes, not solely this model. 

Edited by 58L-Y8
noted production numbers included all series (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

What a rarity!  Looks to be their 130 inch wheelbase largest 1923-'24 Model SK6 with the 268.8 cid engine,  or the 1925-'26 Model 6-S with a 288.5 cid engine.   Priced in the range of $2,400 up to $3,700 over their span, they were direct competitors for the Packard Six and Eight.     Stearns-Knight production: 1923: 1,543; 1924: 1,945; 1925: 1,575; 1926: 987 according to the Kimes and Clark edited Standard Catalogue, 

Neat car, I have serviced an identical car about 20 years ago. Interesting to take to the local shows and explain the engine to car guys. Typical early 20's nickle driving envelope. Ed

• Like 1

58L-Y8   Thank you for the info about the Stearns Knight.  What do you need to know about it to give me very specific information.  Does it have a VIN Somewhere. .  I think these are very rare. Thank you.

4 hours ago, 1jag4me said:

58L-Y8   Thank you for the info about the Stearns Knight.  What do you need to know about it to give me very specific information.  Does it have a VIN Somewhere. .  I think these are very rare. Thank you.

An interesting car

VIN's as we know them today did not exist then.  VIN's started in the 1950's.

May have engine serial number, chassis serial number and/or body number or a combination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stearns-Knight

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_engine

Edit

http://www.wokr.org/forum/index.php

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Wonderful Car! According to the interview with Mike Hewland, Car&Driver, July 1974, about their research on the much better Single Sleeve Valve, Burt-McCollum type, as in Bristol aeroengines, tested also by Continental for cars, just prototypes were built, the 1929 depression came in, advances in detergent lubricating olis solved many problems in Sleeve-valve engines, but Knight double sleeve engines had compression and thightness improved by carbon deposits, lead additives not used then, as mechanism of detonation largely unknown, he was Harry Ricardo who found it, S-V motors lacking a hot spot in combustion chamber, tolerated better the poor gasolines of their times.

Anybody having an spare Knight engine for sale? Blessings +

lamina 52 scaneo A3 300ppp.jpg

Wow ! what a car. It is going to need a very special new owner, but to the right person it will be a very special car.  Where were these cars 20 years ago when I might have filled the bill ? I guess they were out there , just not where I might encounter them.

And probably as far outside my budget then as now. 

Greg in Canada...… correct coast for once. 

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

This is Dale in Montana I do have a spare knight car, not just an engine, I was going to restore it probably won’t get to it. It does have the sleeve valve engine, I think it’s a six cyclinder,I had it running about 18 or 20 yrs. ago. I turn it over ever few yrs. when Iam in that old building, it’s probably been a yr. now Sence I have turned it, but Iam sure it’s free. It’s in Kansas  and Iam going there when the lock down gets over, I could get someone pic.if there is any interest, It’s a three door sedan complete car, unrestored, It has some damage to the rear seat where the top had leaked, from a leak in the building from the old guy I bought it from. Seems like it has the trunk on the back, and some damage to one front fender but pretty nice old car other wise, I do remember it has the bud vace and the key to lock the transmission. I better end,  I guess I got a little long winded here. Thanks Dale. 406 557 611one ranch / 620 332 493two cell and Ks. 

• Like 1

Here are some better pictures of the car now I have moved it.  It rolls freely.  The brakes work very well.  The tires hold air and were not even fully flat in the barn.  The paint is good where it is good, but flaking on the cowl, rear fenders and some areas of the body.  The top is ragged as is the leather but the wood everywhere is excellent. It is very complete.

IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_2877.JPG

IMG_2880.JPG

IMG_2882.JPG

IMG_2884.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2888.JPG

IMG_2891.JPG

IMG_2893.JPG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 1jag4me said:

I’m assured that it’s original

There appears to be green overspray on the passengers rear door jam or there is maroon overspray over green on the jam (and looks to be the same green as the trunk area).

Speaking of the trunk area - do you have a good picture of the trunk from the rear and also entire rear of car ? 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

On 4/18/2020 at 1:22 PM, John_Mereness said:

There appears to be green overspray on the passengers rear door jam or there is maroon overspray over green on the jam (and looks to be the same green as the trunk area).

Speaking of the trunk area - do you have a good picture of the trunk from the rear and also entire rear of car ? 

Here is a picture of the trunk when it is closed. 

IMG_2875.JPG

Just a quick note to anyone following this thread.  The engine now turns freely and is only some minor assembly and some fuel away from running.  I have a video of the engine turning over taken through the intake slots if anyone wants to see it.  I'm not sure how to post it here. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 1jag4me said:

Just a quick note to anyone following this thread.  The engine now turns freely and is only some minor assembly and some fuel away from running.  I have a video of the engine turning over taken through the intake slots if anyone wants to see it.  I'm not sure how to post it here. 

You keep this up you just might find yourself wanting to keep it.

!!

• Like 1

I got the engine turning and shortly afterwards with some fuel and spark and air, it started and ran on it's own. It was smokey as it cleared itself out but was incredibly smooth. Now I see what hoses it needs and all the little fixes to get it to be drive-able.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...