Harmonic Balancer Replacement

Guest Copper81

Guest Copper81

I have a simple question (some may think it dumb ... oh well, I gotta ask it). My harmonic balancer is toasted and needs to be replaced. I have read all the posts on this but have one question yet. I am going to try the impact wrench method because the breaker bar and bumping the ignition scares me too much!! Just a bit risky for someone that hasn't done that before. But does the single bolt for the balancer turn out counterclockwise as a normal bolt would? If the bolt has reverse threads and I was trying to remove it counterclockwise, with my dumb luck I'd probably break something and I sure don't want to stop driving my Reatta for something that stupid. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated as always.

Almost certain it is standard and not reverse threaded but haven't done for a while & is easy to check - just watch which way the engine turns when running. It unscrews opposite to engine rotation.

Is really no need for directionality, the key/keyway is what keeps it from rotating on the shaft.

ps when removing, pull straight off and do not strike or move the crank sensor magnets which interleave with the rings on the balancer. Same when installing new but then you will be able to see them. Can ruin your whole day.

pps in my experience, with the bolt and belt removed, the balancer just slides off the crank, no kabanging necessary.

I had to change my Timing chain and gears last year and the harmonic balancer was a bear to get the bolt to break loose. I have a pretty good shop with several quality tools and my impact wrench would not budge the bolt.

Ended up having to put a box wrench on the bolt and wedge it against the frame. I then taped the starter (with a lot of praying), one time is all it took. after removing the boxwrench the impact driver spun the bolt out and I proceeded to change the chain gears.

Just a sugestion if you are going this far be sure to change the cam sensor magnet wile you've got it apart.