Sign in to follow this  
Jolly_John

1963 Riv. Outside Mirrors?

Hi, Gang. My memory is that the oval interior adjustment control escutcheon plate helps identify the year Riv this mirror fits. However, I've forgotten if the oval is 1963, and 1963-only. Would someone please clarify this for me?

Also, if this is a '63 mirror, it this the year of outside Riv mirror that is interchangeable from driver's side to passenger's side? Again, I know one of the years of Riv mirror does interchange left to right....but unfortunately, I've forgotten which year. It's just great to get old (anciently old), isn't it. Thanks for any help. John

076 (640x410).jpg

073 (640x423).jpg

Benefits of AACA Membership.

63 only. In 64, the escutcheon was a rhombus.

• Like 1

John. You have 1963s there. 64 were square and mounted with corners vertical as a diamond.  

Dale

Hi John,

The escutcheon you pictured is `63 but both the `63 and `64 mirrors can be adapted for both left and right side installation,

Tom

Posted (edited)

Wow, what great help from all of you guys. My thanks to each of you. Plus, a special "thanks for the memories" to Ed (RivNut). I haven't heard or seen the word "rhombus" since 10th grade geometry. And, that's a long time ago! John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)

28 minutes ago, Jolly_John said:

Wow, what great help from all of you guys. My thanks to each of you. Plus, a special "thanks for the memories" to Ed (RivNut). I haven't heard or seen the word "rhombus" since 10th grade geometry. And, that's a long time ago! John

Wow...learn something new everyday.... I always thought the `64-`67 escutcheon is a square?? Good luck with your mirror John!

Tom Mooney

Posted (edited)

WOW, again confusion on my part. My mirrors have the rhombus (square) not the oval escutcheon. I thought my car was a 1963. Correct me if I am wrong,, here is my data plate.

Did any of the 1963 Riv's come with the square escutcheon  cause mine has it?

data plate 2.jpg

Edited by TheOldMan (see edit history)

On my '64 that I bought new the escutcheon is square & NOT mounted  like a diamond.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheOldMan said:

WOW, again confusion on my part. My mirrors have the rhombus (square) not the oval escutcheon. I thought my car was a 1963. Correct me if I am wrong,, here is my data plate.

Did any of the 1963 Riv's come with the square escutcheon  cause mine has it?

data plate 2.jpg

Style 63-4747 - definitely a 1963 Riviera

Build date of 1st week of April - middle of the production run

Code S7 - remote mirror.

Could be a replacement for a broken one. Who knows after 57 years?  

• Thanks 1

My thought exactly, Ed. Stuff gets repaired or replaced over the course of so many years. John

I would think, but I'm not sure, that one could remove the cables from a 64 joy stick and connect the to a 63 joy stick. This would allow someone to put the proper joy stick/escutcheon in place without having to remove the door skin and change out the complete mirror.