1936 Buick carpet

Paul White

Hi all, I am looking for details concerning the type of original carpet used in the '36 Buicks. I would also be very grateful if anyone with a piece of carpet could post a close up photo. I am also interested in whether there was some form of covering (carpet?) on the rear shelf between the rear seat and window(s.). Also interested to know what type of edge binding was originally used, Cheers Paul 

Edited by Paul White (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Paul White said:

Hi all, I am looking for details concerning the type of original carpet used in the '36 Buicks. I would also be very grateful if anyone with a piece of carpet could post a close up photo. I am also interested in whether there was some form of covering (carpet?) on the rear shelf between the rear seat and window(s), Cheers paul 

What was used in Australia (GMH production) is likley to be different from USA

The carpet would probably be "Wilton Wool Carpet" and it generally comes in two weights and comes both canvas backed and rubber backed - your car would use the canvas backed style and probably the thicker weight.

The downfall - you still have to keep moth balls in the car as carpet is wool.

There are also some nice commercial substitutes available in synthetic - it is for commercial/industrial and it has a canvas-ish backing albeit somewhat stiff and your upholsterer may be a bit grumpy about sewing binding on the edges.

Many cars also used  something called  Mosstread - it is like a very thick velvet and they wrapped it over sheet rubber - Bill Hirsch use to carry in the US and otherwise sort of tough here to find a good substitute. 

Additionally, your car may have had a brown (pr black) rubber floor mat in the front with or without carpet on certain sections - I am not sure though and doubtful it has been reproduced for RHD.

You are correct that the BEST WAY TO GO ABOUT THIS IS FOR SOMEONE WITH AN UNRESTORED CAR TO POST PHOTOS.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 2:45 PM, Paul White said:

Also interested to know what type of edge binding was originally used,

As near as I have been able to deduce, for USA Fisher bodied cars, the carpet binding would have been artificial leather or leathercloth, probably nitrocellulose based, like Fabrikoid (similar to Rexine in the UK). I think leather was also a possibility, but much less likely. In Australia or South Africa, all bets are off.

I agree with John_Mereness that Wilton wool carpet, cloth backed if you can find it, is most likely closer to original than anything else. I am no expert though. I have been collecting pictures of old shredded (probably original) mid 30s Fisher interiors for a while now. My intention was to post a thread asking these questions and a bunch of others. I doubt any of it would be much use for Australia or South Africa, as I suspect local materials would have been used.

I would say a vinyl edge or perhaps cloth (same special cloth for carpet edging as used for 30's/40's/some 50's windlace).  

leather - not so much in anything other than really high end coachbuilt cars.

The mosstread carpet i believe has so edging - it is like a pile velvet rolled over a sheet of foam rubber. 

I would lean toward some complimentary color Wilton Wool carpet or a commercial substitute with perhaps a brown vinyl edge 

What series is your Buick ?

I saw Bob's Automobelia still caries Black for the smaller cars:

2 of 10
FF-36BK.jpg

1936 S.40-60 Black Floor Mat. FF-36BK

$280.00

CODE: FF-36BK
Availability: In stock
Quantity: 
ADD TO CART 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Bob's used to stock unpunched ones in both black and brown that could be self-trimmed for earlier models, RHD, Pontiacs, etc. There were rumors of another run possibly this year. I don't know where that stands now. I could sure use one myself.

https://bobsautomobilia.com/interior-floors-and-doors/floormat-w-jute-backing-brown-1934-36-.-ff-36bnu/ Since it is still on their website but shows "out of stock", I would suspect that they will be getting some more, but you would have to ask them when they expect to have them back in stock. 

• 1 month later...