Working at Home, a new reality

trimacar

Well, for all you car people working from home, I came up with a few guidelines on how to respond to your boss.  If he knows you well, he knows that there are cars calling you from the garage, so when he asks you these questions....

-When can I expect to see your report on the situation....."Well, boss, I still need to think of a few more solutions to add to the report" (but I'll think while I'm installing the starter on my 19twentyeleven GoesIt Special)...

-Can you get to this project ASAP?....."Sure, boss, just as soon as I clean up a little of this previous work"....(scraping the crud off this differential, that is)….

-Our biggest client sent this email, could you please respond to him..."Well, of course, boss, let me get to the bottom of this first" (as I'm cleaning out the oil pan of my early Puttermobile)

-Can you go back to that spreadsheet and change to better match my projections?  "Changing it now, boss" (changing the oil, that is, my Goggomobile was long overdue)…..

You get the drift.....who else has good answers, and what is REALLY going on when you use those answers?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Boss: How long do you think this will take? 

Me: Let me put together a detailed timeline for you Jim. (Let’s see, the pistons are arriving in 5 weeks, rods should be here mid April, valves are ready to go back in...) The project should be completed in mid June so long as there’s no vendor issues with the component acquisition, I will keep a close eye on it and keep you informed.

Now, explain any of this to the wife also working from home is a different story all together...

Edited by Mark Wetherbee (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Boss: Send me your updated quarterly sale projections by the end of the week.

You: Although future prospects seem grim due to recent trends around Covid-19,  (car shows are cancelled everywhere) material supply and inventory is very good. (auto parts stores and on-line parts sales are doing well supplying me with what I need for  my '38 sedan work). The bucket of available labor resources is very good (I  have lots of free time to wrench at home). Multi-tasking (scanning your work emails occasionally while in the garage) is the new normal. Networking (visiting social forums like this one often) is proving to build future sales opportunities. (I met a guy with a core flat head V8 he'll sell and ship to me in September). Available bandwith remains constant across all swimlanes. (no matter which car I work on, it's awesome, I have all the time I need right now). Forward trending accounts payable, at this point is consistent (I've been ordering parts using my hidden Paypal balance, wife has no idea) However will likely tighten, as outstanding balances creep up 90 days out. (I'm going to have to get really creative when my hidden cash is all used up. Perhaps I can sell that spare 350 SBC I have out back of the barn). Health and safety objections for the quarter are on target. (I've only smashed a finger on one hand with a hammer, and had a jack stand fall over but the brake drum missed my foot. I've not lost any wrenching time yet!) In summary 2nd quarter growth will be slight stunted, however on par with previous running 12. I'm expecting we will retain what we've won in Q4 19 as slow and steady wins the race. (I really hope to have the car out cruising by July. If this keeps up, I should be done by then)

• Thanks 1