Airbrush for small repair

DAVE A

Have any of you ever used an airbrush for a small paint repair?  I had to make a repair on a 2 inch by 4 inch area.  It requires paint on that area.  I thought using an airbrush would allow me to feather in the repaired area easier.   Comments?

Air brush, sash gun, rattle can. Whatever you use mask the area with 1'' tape and turn up half the edge towards the repair. The spray won't make it all the way under the turned up edge and will feather itself out eliminating a sharp masking edge............Bob

"Air brush, sash gun, rattle can. Whatever you use mask the area with 1'' tape and turn up half the edge towards the repair. The spray won't make it all the way under the turned up edge and will feather itself out eliminating a sharp masking edge............Bob"

Bob, can you please post a photo?

I always get screwed up trying to post post pix from my phone but no problem with Email. PM me your email address and I'll send a pix. I promise I'll delete your address and give it to no one. You can post the pix here if you want....or just google soft edge masking. 3m even makes a special soft edge foam masking tape but folding over regular tape is just as good and cheaper......Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Bhigdog (Bob Beck) very kindly sent me a photo illustrating the technique, which I attach below.  He says:

"This is just an outside table but assume you want to spray with a feather edge. Just fold over 1/4" of the masking tape on to itself and mask with the turned edge towards paint area. The spray can't get all the way under the tape so it self feather-edges itself. Works real well. Practice on a test area to get a feel for the process.

"When you shoot direct the pattern so you don't push the tape edge down. Favor a slight angle that lifts the edge. Pretty easy to get the hang of it."

THANK YOU, BOB!

soft edge mask.jpg

I actually use the raised tape edge often when painting my RC scale fighter planes. It’s a technique used for shading as the color tails off and gets lighter because of the tape edge. It’s exactly what bobs recommendation is doing for the touch up area. Use an airbrush often enough and you learn to get the same effect with the trigger. A good airbrush makes a huge difference also.