Bhigdog

A day in my new life

My life has changed very little.  I’m semi-retired and for the last five years my time was spent doing computer graphics and illustration in my home office or out in the garage working on my 32 Dodge Brothers sedan.  We live in a small town in the middle of nowhere, have plenty of toilet paper at the local grocery store and count our blessings.  Living in the boonies has certain advantages you don’t appreciate until something like this happens.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Since we’re not in trouble till the humor runs out:

Here is an instructive little video on how to make a mask if you can’t obtain one and no sewing is required! It’s something we all have at home right now (just make sure they’re clean).

Pretty sure everyone can view it - whether or not you use Twitter. Sorry, it’s the only place I could find it. It’s in Russian — but trust me, you don’t need to speak Russian to understand it.
https://mobile.twitter.com/danbbaer/status/1246169256049258496

Now, some of us have been having fun making fun of the HOARDERS. Turns out, we can’t blame 100% of the shortages on them. There’s something to this, and it ain’t going away anytime soon.⬇️

https://marker.medium.com/what-everyones-getting-wrong-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-c812e1358fe0

Stay well everyone.

Edited by Ben P.
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Keeping busy catching up on projects as the list was long. Writing a few "looking back in time of the history and club" articles based on 60's / 70's / 80's old newsletters for the Amphicar clubs newsletter. Editors are always looking for articles. Good time to help them out. Brakes & rotors for 05 Bonneville, vette needs a throw-out bearing, took and emailed a bunch of engine compartment picture's of my 55 and sent them to a guy restoring a safari. Amphicar, trailer and tow vehicles need cleaned from our Florida swim in which was cut short due to the virus. Appears that the Citicar will be sold to the person I bought it from years ago go figure. Lots going on. Wife is in the house making us masks which should prove interesting.

• Like 1

I watched the make-your-own-mask video Ben P. posted - thought that was a pretty good idea.  Then, I got a pair of my own underwear to give it a try.  Unfortunately, I'm a pretty good-sized round-bodied type of guy.  When I put my head through the leg of my shorts, it fell down around my neck because it's WAY too big.

It will probably work okay if your body configuration is normal in size.  If you're not, you're probably out of luck.  The good thing is, my wife got a huge kick out of it.

Social isolation isn't a new concept for me. My wife and I live in the country, with no really close neighbors,yet within 5 miles of small towns and less than 15 miles from 3 larger centers.

All my old cars are ready to roll,but there's no place to go ! Our club,the Historical Automobile Society of Canada, is considering writing this year's activities off and starting fresh next year.

There's still yard work to do. I've rolled the lawn twice and the way it's greening up I'll soon be cutting it.

Had a real strong wind last Sunday that blew a big spruce tree onto my garage roof. Amazingly there was no damage,as the multiple branches spread the weight of the tree around.I contracted a local tree removal guy to deal with it

Our Ontario premier gave us the bad news yesterday. This virus could continue to affect us for the next couple of years. The death toll will depend dramatically on how seriously we take the physical distancing and isolation measures prescribed .

Stay safe but stay connected.

Jim

IMG_1623.JPG

lawn rolling.jpg

12 minutes ago, Dosmo said:

I watched the make-your-own-mask video Ben P. posted - thought that was a pretty good idea.  Then, I got a pair of my own underwear to give it a try.  Unfortunately, I'm a pretty good-sized round-bodied type of guy.  When I put my head through the leg of my shorts, it fell down around my neck because it's WAY too big.

It will probably work okay if your body configuration is normal in size.  If you're not, you're probably out of luck.  The good thing is, my wife got a huge kick out of it.

Just remember ...........brown side OUT.........😉...........Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In my county in Ohio we have just had our first case, I still go to the parts store and hardware a couple times a week. I am retired and my wife still works so my routine has changed little.  I take care of the house, cook and mess around with my cars. 
I do miss my daily trip to the VFW for a couple beers with friends but its saving me some money.

It bothers me that the wife and her daughter are both nurses. They are both very good at what they do and take every precaution. The wife usually removes her shoes in the garage, strips as she passes the laundry room, and on to the shower in the basement. 

Got the dough rolled into bagel shaped objects and in the oven. Not quite as easy to make bagels as it sounds. I'm pretty much covered in flour, dough stuck to my shirt and pants. My "bagels" look more square than those that you see in the deli. Oh well, the proof will be in the eating.

Could be worse. I just talked to a friend who lives in the heart of NYC. He's sequestered in his "apartment" that probably started life as a closet.

He just found out he has bed bugs.

At least he won't be alone....😀........Bob

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

Marty said " The New Orleans area now has 3,476 Confirmed Cases, up 328 since yesterday. Our death rate per-capita is highest in the nation - likely as a result of crowds from cruise ships and world-wide visitors during Mardi Gras - people shoulder to shoulder, six-deep, lining the many parade routes and the French Quarter during the weeks leading up to Fat Tuesday, Feb 25th - the week leading to our AACA Winter Nationals in Miami.

Not sure I agree Marty,. The State's COVID19 death rate is highest likely because the State Governemnt allowed this event to happen on Feb 25th in the first place, in spite of all the warnings beginning in early January from epidemic experts at CDC on the serious nature of COVID19, it being very contagious and deadly, and early advice on avoiding recent arrivals, social distancing, avoiding large crowds, hand washing,  etc, etc. The Mardi Gras events should have been cancelled but as I see it, the elected officials decided to roll the dice. Awful leadership statewide, and the Feds were silent. 

Sometimes there is an awfully dear price to pay for the almighty dollar. I see 8 states are still sitting on their asses as the national death toll passes 7000, but do note Alabama and Missouri got on board today.  

12 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

Trimacar said: Actually, it’s said the high death rate in Nawlins is due to the love of food in New Orleans, the city has abnormally high numbers when it comes to obesity, blood pressure, and so forth, none of which helps one survive.....

So let me see fellows, if the government leadership knew  ... 

... then you would think (at least I would), that that would be a major reason to act swiftly, even more swiftly than other states, and cancel/postpone the Mardi-Gras. Am I missing something. No excuses any more. At some point someone has to be held accountable.

20/20 hindsight, blaming state government just doesn't cut it - at least in my opinion.

Not all government did know, and they were receiving mis-information at the highest levels - and Mardi Gras is not a single entity, it is not State Government-controlled. It is thousands of individual entities all over the area, as far as Mobile, Alabama, Florida, Texas - not just the big ones in New Orleans, Metairie, Kenner, Northshore - and it is not government sponsored/owned - it is hundreds of private clubs donating their time and resources so that visitors from your home town, and from around the globe can act in a way they wouldn't dare to act at home if someone who knew them were watching.

I believe that personal responsibility is, now and always, a factor. Back in mid-February, mere days before Mardi Gras there were just a few "Hot-Spots" known, listed, and widely politicized per Coronavirus. We were told of a nursing home "HOT SPOT" in Washington State, but mainly it was in Wuhan, China, plus a cruise ship, and spread by people who had contact there, right?  Misinformation? Mardi Gras? Hindsight is always 20/20, but thanks for the thought - and no, we were not there - we were on our way to judge at the Miami AACA Nationals. We are reminded to make our own decisions - And we ARE capable of that -

but the intent of Bob's thread, as I understand,

is for us to interact, personal, cars, family -

to stay in touch and not just to bitch and bellyache about what somebody else, some politician, some government agency, some local know-it-all, should have done.

At this moment all I really want is for us, our loved ones, my own family and yours, to survive, be healthy, and be a part of our future.

Thanks to all for the good wishes for my wife, for my thumb, for everything else,

but mostly let us appreciate our medical personnel, our first responders, UPS and FED/EX folks, our volunteers who step up "Just Because", 

The good news? My cooking skills are about on par with my mechanical skills - take it or leave it - but I can fix what I mess up- (wish I had Trimacar's skills)-

Wife continues to do OK and waiting Tuesday's chemo infusion. Son, daughter, in-laws are hanging in despite jobs requiring some social distancing personal interaction (hospital building/plant engineer; psychologist dealing with military veterans and their ongoing PTSD issues, computer hardware/software tech for medical equipment - all still working exhausting hours to support the community.

Grandson called from college last night.  - he has been offered acceptance by at least two different Grad Schools so far, including teaching assistanceships and stipends - that will help - so proud of this kid !!!

Of course all his final semester college classes are now online -  interesting when he is a Music Performance Major, and nobody (not even us) will be allowed to attend his recital (Judges are in separate rooms listening via video?). His (non-ceremonial) college graduation is a month away. This kid, also an AACA judge and tour driver, has been Deans List every college semester, and like thousands of other college and high school graduates, his mom will not get to see him wear the "Cap and Gown" - a small thing in the big picture? Absolutely, but still another part of life as we now know it.

Old cars are starting well, and other than additional planned maintenance, should be ready for the touring season - if it ever gets here. We hope to drive the Sentimental, Reliability, Glidden, and two Divisional Tours, and will support the Founders Tour when it is rescheduled. Hopefully, we'll continue to judge as well, with Charlotte, Annual Grand National in Allentown, and of course Hershey.

Stay well,

Stay Strong,

Stay Six Feet Away,

But mostly - STAY !!

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

This whole mask thing has my dander up! Our out-of-the-way county with only a couple dozen known cases (can't believe most of the numbers they throw around anyway) is threatening to REQUIRE - ALL -people to wear masks when going out to any store or other necessary trip!

Where am I supposed to GET a mask?

I have a box of N95 masks from a local Safety Supply store, and fortunately still have some left.  I normally use them for spray painting, like most who restore cars, but the last time I used one for a non-auto-related activity was while helping during our flood cleanup here in 2013.

Craig

11 hours ago, Isaiah said:

this is a poly to crash the economy in the U.S.A

the kids that  or were graduating this year  wont get a diploma..

As with my grandson, they get the diploma, but just not where, and when parents and grandparents can share , endorse, be a part of the achievement.

We share in the inequity, but have to accept the new normal, at least for now.

15 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

but we have food, medical necessities, and TP - so we're good for now.

This will end one day.  Can't wait to get back to NO.  Spent one week a month there for eight years starting right after Catrina.  Sure miss French Quarter Festival

Starting our 4th week of isolation (wife is immunodeficient) accompanied by our 11 year old triplet grandsons (parents work in the service industry)  Getting good at home schooling.  I am amazed that no one is getting cabin fever here yet.  Spent yesterday cancelling hotels for cancelled tours and Pate swap meet.  Living on a small ranch is a plus as there is always maintenance to do.  Regarding masks just get on U Tube videos for about 15 different  directions.  The only thing a Non M 95 mask does is help protect you from droplet contamination which is important.  More importantly it will lessen the chance of an infected person who is shredding virus from contaminating you with their normal breathing.  When the serology test becomes available we will be shocked at how many of us had Covid 19 without major symptoms.  Son was at Wal Mart yesterday and no one was following guidelines including the staff.  Five per cent wearing masks.

Grandson finishing his graduate program and grand daughter getting her Undergraduate degree from Oklahoma University in a few weeks.  All parties are cancelled  This will save me  a couple grand.  I am sure they will be happy with checks.  

Thanks for starting this thread and stay safe

Posted (edited)

I haven't had TP for almost 3 weeks now. Been relying on a stock of Kleenex. I have not seen TP in any of the stores I've been to for nearly a month now. Safeway has a sign on the shelf saying take no more than two; but the shelf is completely empty, and no Kleenex or paper hand towels either. Also been to Lucky and FoodMax which are SaveMart stores and their shelf also empty. I used to always buy TP at the Dollar Tree Store but they are always out now.

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

Waiting for the frogs and locusts.....

So, it's not quite enough with disease and pestilence stalking the land. Last night just before 7pm we get a 4.9 magnitude earthquake up in Anza that gives a pretty good shaker here in Palm Springs, and within seconds my phone lights up with biblical joke texts from 30 different people.

Now I enjoy a good laugh as much as the next guy and I could certainly see the humor in this one, but I think I'm gonna brush up on my Book of Revelations.

y'know.... just in case. 😄

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GregLaR said:

So, it's not quite enough with disease and pestilence stalking the land. Last night just before 7pm we get a 4.9 magnitude earthquake up in Anza that gives a pretty good shaker here in Palm Springs, and within seconds my phone lights up with biblical joke texts from 30 different people.

Now I enjoy a good laugh as much as the next guy and I could certainly see the humor in this one, but I think I'm gonna brush up on my Book of Revelations.

y'know.... just in case. 😄

Or maybe Book of EXODUS ?

Is Passover now cancelled - surely to celebrated differently - maybe using ZOOM - because of PLAGUE ??

19 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

For those of you out of TP go to Amazon and buy Genuine Joe 23600 center pull towels.  They are under Commercial Paper products.  Function adequately as TP and Paper hand drying towels

14 minutes ago, Robert G. Smits said:

For those of you out of TP go to Amazon and buy Genuine Joe 23600 center pull towels.  They are under Commercial Paper products.  Function adequately as TP and Paper hand drying towels

But can you flush them?  Or does one need a sealed trash can in bathroom?

Marty, I’m not sure I’ve ever had a meal you cooked, although I know you’ve had a few from me!

I agree the responsibility is now, and has been for a while, on individuals and their behavior.  It’s human to want to “blame” someone, but the couple of times I’ve, of necessity, had to be out, I see a lot of “it won’t happen to me and you can’t tell me what to do” attitude.  This is one time our sense of freedom is working against us....

Kudos to moderators for letting us keep in touch and discuss this new world we live in....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Lots of little things have changed. Water is my current obstacle. My well has lots of poor quality water, only runs dry about September for a few weeks so normally no problem with toilets ,showers, wash etc.

But for the last 25 years I have been using bottled water for drinking and cooking, about a jug and a half each week. Up until my father sold his house about 3 years ago I stopped in once a week , had a cup of coffee ,

talked over what was going on in the family and the world  , filled my two water jugs,and generally kept in touch with him and his wife. Anything that he needed help with would also be taken care of.

Then I started using the self serve refill at the local supermarket . $3.00 a jug about $5.00 a week. Still just pocket change compared to the $30,000 or so for a new well that still would most likely need a expensive filtration system.

Lots of Ag runoff in our local aquifier.

Now the self serve fill is shut down for health reasons. So either pay $12.00 a jug for pre fill and stock pile the empty's { no returns accepted at this time for health reasons } or buy flats of the small 1/2 litre bottles. either way 

lots more money and at some point a good sized truckload of empty's to eventually have to return. And a small fortune in bottle deposit fees. If this goes on for several months I will have a room full of empty's.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Rarely go out anyway and have worn a mask, gloves.and safty glasses for a month when I make my weekly run for groceries. Living alone I have not much choice about fresh produce.. Death toll in the US (about 1.4%) is much lower than worldwide (near 5%) if you believe the CDC, WHO, and Johns Hopkins (tell me three times) so something is working.

Tomorrow SCi_Fi channel is showing all six Sharknado movies & have DVR primed. It is amazing how many movies use a chrono symplastic infundibulum or similar to fix the unfixable.Marvel uses them all the time, sometimes even in the same movie (End Game). In engineering this is known as "here a miracle occurs". Several times when I was a design engineer I speced things that did not exist. Then. But would.

Puttering around building an Ubuntu server to run Big Blue Button. Thought an open source alternative to the eminently hackable ZOOM that is not cloud based might be useful. Passes time.

Particularly when the el cheapo case I ordered to pile stuff in turns out to have no provision for any outside drive access (like a CD/DVD) but does have multicolored LEDs so must be good.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GregLaR said:

😄

Don't frogs eat locusts?

Cheers,

Grog

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Our new outside look....

IMG_7448 (2).JPG

Hey, you're the people who robbed the liquor store the other day!  😄

I like the minion mask best. Stay healthy!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robert G. Smits said:

I've been going through my supply of 1500 grit wet or dry sand paper. Does a pretty good job and no chance of a finger "poke through". My wife hates it.....😀.........Bob

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Marty, I’m not sure I’ve ever had a meal you cooked, although I know you’ve had a few from me!

I agree the responsibility is now, and has been for a while, on individuals and their behavior.  It’s human to want to “blame” someone, but the couple of times I’ve, of necessity, had to be out, I see a lot of “it won’t happen to me and you can’t tell me what to do” attitude.  This is one time our sense of freedom is working against us....

Kudos to moderators for letting us keep in touch and discuss this new world we live in....

David,

You've had some meals which Dale prepared, and I believe one or two I may have grilled out back when you still lived in Louisiana. Your cooking is especially appreciated - 

1 minute ago, Marty Roth said:

David,

You've had some meals which Dale prepared, and I believe one or two I may have grilled out back when you still lived in Louisiana. Your cooking is especially appreciated - 

That’s true, gee, that was only 40 or so years ago!

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, trimacar said:

That’s true, gee, that was only 40 or so years ago!

We're not getting older,

We're getting better

Jambalaya,

Chicken & duck andouille gumbo, 

Red beans & rice-

Sure is nice-

I've been cooking here for most of the past 17 months-

gotta' be gettin' better at it?

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)