A day in my new life

Bhigdog

16 minutes ago, Laughing Coyote said:

This morning I asked my wife if she was going to go to the grocery store to see if she could find some TP (gold on a roll)

Toilet paper is worth some big money these days.

Scarface-Toilet-Paper-759x500.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Laughing Coyote said:

I snatched up my 2 limit and checked out. Today was a good day!! I may have to buy a lotto ticket.

You should have headed over to the prune aisle and then have yourself a party......................Bob

• Haha 2

I've observed a few changes on my usual walks with my dog . The sky is a deeper blue than usual. There is considerably less traffic noise from the freeway two miles away. There is far less fast food garbage to pick up along the ditch. It's a nice respite, but I'm afraid civil unrest may soon follow if normal commerce can't resume in the near future..

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Grimy said:

My British father asked for coffee (he didn't like tea, strangely enough) "saucered and blown," which meant cooler than normal or even tepid.  I'll stay with "piping hot," thank you.

My great uncle on the farm always poured his tea into his saucer and blew on it before slurping it out of the saucer.  He also used to come in out of the field, pick up the teapot and pour the leftover tea down his throat........until the day my aunt had filled the pot with lye to clean it out.

A bit too cold here to work in an unheated garage so besides my two hour walks I have been sorting dozens of discs of vehicle pictures, labeling them properly and saving them to  USB flash drives.  I say the walks are for exercise but really they are to give my wife a break.

I wondered if Noah released a dove today,would it come back with toilet paper instead of an olive branch? Just a thought I had. This too will probably last for forty days.Come to think of it,I think Noah was the first person to ever be on quarantine,with no tv or internet. At least he had his animals.Greg

Edited by Buick35
add text (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

Seems the local supermarket hasn't had eggs for a couple weeks (or they were gone when SWMBO was shopping there)

so my task for the day was to find  some.

Theres a Mennonite market about eight miles west of here that seemed like a good bet and it was, the coolers were well stocked.

Use of the back roads and byways let me cover close to thirty sunny and leisurely miles without braking a single egg.

Took along a passenger on the trip, he seemed to enjoy it.

Everyone stay well.

5 April Bear Onboard.JPG

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JimKB1MCV said:

Seems the local supermarket hasn't had eggs for a couple weeks (or they were gone when SWMBO was shopping there)

so my task for the day was to find  some.

Everyone stay well.

5 April Bear Onboard.JPG

In this part of the world, egg farmers are giving away hundreds of flats of eggs to food banks and dairy farmers have been told to dump thousands of gallons of milk down the drain, due to oversupply. The market is drying up due to forced closure of restaurants. One local farmer affected said that most of his production went to Tim Horton's.

Regular eggs haven’t gone up much around here, but I do see organic dozens in the $5 range....milk and dairy products seem about the same normal price....it is interesting times we live in, that’s for sure!

6 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Regular eggs haven’t gone up much around here, but I do see organic dozens in the $5 range....milk and dairy products seem about the same normal price....it is interesting times we live in, that’s for sure!

The price is Lancaster county PA where egg farms are everywhere and two major egg marketers are located 5 miles from where I live. Bread is getting more plentiful but toilet paper is still hard to find some days.

With owning another property having a house originally built in 1908 it has 18 mature trees on it and some days things happen.

IMG_6756.thumb.JPG.977038c3cce051c212d7f6d464359f9d.JPG

Working carefully it took me 5 hours to get it down on the ground. Fortunately there wasn't any property damage.

Unfortunately it's not going to make good firewood...

IMG_6763.thumb.JPG.a6530fc4aba5539628e5eb75142bb679.JPG

24 minutes ago, J.H.Boland said:

We had the same windstorm. No damage to the garage or the historic outhouse ,thankfully.

IMG_1623.JPG

Good that there was not damage to buildings-

Should you apply for designation on the National Register of Historic Places for the Historic Outhouse?

Is there a Sears catalog inside?

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Good that there was not damage to buildings-

Should you apply for designation on the National Register of Historic Places for the Historic Outhouse?

Is there a Sears catalog inside?

This is a deluxe two hole outhouse. Hanging on the wall is a washboard made into a mirror, a framed copy of the lyrics for Billy Edd  Wheeler's "Ode to the Little Brown Shack" and a toilet paper dispenser in the shape of a miniature outhouse. My late mother added another conversation starter,a plunger ! This being Canada, an Eaton's catalog would have been original equipment.

As to being registered as an Historic place,I really don't want strangers beating a path to it's door. I installed a "No Dumping" sign in front of it last year.

• Thanks 1

My grandfather started using glossy page magazines in the shop crapper. For a young guy first sampling beers in local bars it is not the right stuff. Ahhhh, the memories of youth.

My mother used to tell us about the 4-holer they had on the farm. When they moved into the village they had four bathrooms with running water in all. The best one looked out across the front porch roof with a grand view of everything happening on South Avenue. City living. Still had the mail order chicks in the incubator in the dining room.

Bernie

Fun time this morning. At least I thought so. My wife was helping me move cut and split firewood from the wood lot to closer to the house. As I mentioned in an earlier post field mice find the loose piles a perfect housing project.

Well this morning as we picked up a pile a mouse ran up the inside of my wife's pant leg. Such screaming and dancing you can't imagine.

No harm done. Both mouse and wife are doing fine.

But I will say this: that mouse got my wife out of her pants a lot faster than I ever could...............Bob

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Well this morning as we picked up a pile a mouse ran up the inside of my wife's pant leg. Such screaming and dancing you can't imagine.

Makes me think of Ray Stevens' song about the Mississippi Squirrel Revival.

Jim

My wife is also an extreme Mouseaphobe. We live in a mixed suburban/ rural area with a very healthy rodent population. Most years at least a few make their way indoors. When my wife comes across one there are shrieks like she just found a coiled rattlesnake ready to strike.

She has trouble sleeping until I { or the cat } manage to catch the offender.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I'm so proud.........I live in one of only four states with no stay-at-home orders at all.

Yesterday I went to register a car. Had my mask on, stopped about 10 feet from the counter. The woman ordered me to approach, put papers on counter and step back. Etc., etc. This all took a while, but I had my sh*t together. When finished I said, "Thanks for coming to work, Theresa". She glared at me through her mask and said, "I don't have a choice or I would NOT be here!"

When I go to our one little grocery store, I say the same, "Thank you all for coming to work". Every time, they all seem to appreciate it. They got paychecks coming and their neighbors may not, I guess. John Prine passed, that ruins my week.

• Like 3

We're running low on our favorite wine in a box. A cheap burgundy  swill. Since PA's liquor stores have been closed we will defy orders tomorrow and travel to NJ and stock up. Kind of exciting. I have planned our route out and return so as not to draw attention. We're thinking back roads are safer. I figure that with the wife and two dogs in the car no "Trooper" will suspect we are ban flaunting, tax evading, moonshiners.

So with N95 masks, nitrile gloves, and PB&J sandwiches and Pepsi Cola  packed we will set off on our adventure tomorrow late AM.

I'm so stoked.

Forbidden fruit is always the sweetest.

Most fun I've had in awhile............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Restaurant take-out, only $18.55 with tax for a 20 oz T-bone, with beans, baked potato (or mashed or vegetables), salad and bread.

P4070007.JPG

Yowee Mama! What a deal. It's an ill wind that blows NO good................Bob

Bhigdog - I live in NJ.  Our booze emporium is only taking phone orders for pick-up.  They text you when your order is ready.  I picked up a couple of cases of wine today.  The weather was unpromising, so I drove modern.  My last order was ready on a nice day, so I picked it up in a 1914 Model T.  If questioned, I'll say I'm self-medicating with over-the-counter drugs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

We're running low on our favorite wine in a box.

We are in our 4th week  of isolation with our 11 y/o triplet grandsons.  Fortunately I purchased 3 cases of wine locally and another 2 cases online so we are in good shape for some time.  We have been home schooling since day one.  We get a weekly work schedule from the school.  Normally the kids can complete a weeks work in one day.  They say this amount of school work in usual.  No wonder our education system is failing.  When this is over I am going to miss being a substitute parent 24-7.  Stay safe.

2 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

Bhigdog - I live in NJ.  Our booze emporium is only taking phone orders for pick-up.  They text you when your order is ready.  I picked up a couple of cases of wine today.  The weather was unpromising, so I drove modern.  My last order was ready on a nice day, so I picked it up in a 1914 Model T.  If questioned, I'll say I'm self-medicating with over-the-counter drugs.

I called 3 different stores in NJ and all said "no problem." One said starting tomorrow all patrons must be masked to shop. We'll see I guess........Bob

1 hour ago, Robert G. Smits said:

We are in our 4th week  of isolation with our 11 y/o triplet grandsons.  Fortunately I purchased 3 cases of wine locally and another 2 cases online so we are in good shape for some time.  We have been home schooling since day one.  We get a weekly work schedule from the school.  Normally the kids can complete a weeks work in one day.  They say this amount of school work in usual.  No wonder our education system is failing.  When this is over I am going to miss being a substitute parent 24-7.  Stay safe.

You are 100% correct about the amount of actual school work going on in public schools.

We home schooled out daughter for 3 years and there is only about 2 to 3 hours of actual instruction and school work going on these days.

At first we followed regular school curriculum but we had to start supplementing that with extra work because she would be done with all her work before 11am.

She has since returned to public school and they are now on this 'distance learning' thing but we have continued to give her extra work just as we did when we were homeschooling.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Weird the different state laws around. I hear tell there are dry counties here in Virginia, but have never knowingly been in one. State ABC stores are open with reduced hours. Wine and beer at most every supermarket. No shortages. Wine is available for delivery from vineyards. Wine and beer is available for delivery with a take out food order. And today's news, mixed drinks will be available for delivery with a food order! And to think we just got "liquor by the drink" in 1968!😉

14 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Weird the different state laws around. I hear tell there are dry counties here in Virginia, but have never knowingly been in one. State ABC stores are open with reduced hours. Wine and beer at most every supermarket. No shortages. Wine is available for delivery from vineyards. Wine and beer is available for delivery with a take out food order. And today's news, mixed drinks will be available for delivery with a food order! And to think we just got "liquor by the drink" in 1968!😉

After a brief year and a half assignment in Ft Wayne, IN, we were assigned for computer support to the office of Virginia's governor for the entire commonwealth. Arriving in January, 1972 after a miserably cold drive through New Years, we had temporary housing at the hospital's Married Resident area right downtown. A sweet young doctor offered to stay with out 7 month old while we headed out to a local pub for dinner and an adult refreshment. There, we experienced a so-so overpriced meal, accompanied by the absolute WORST mixed drinks we'd ever experienced. Having lived in New Jersey, Working in New York City, and then moving to New Orleans, we had a reasonable expectation of quality - and the libation was HORRIBLE. The gentlemen at the next table explained that it had been only a few short years since the law changed. Previously, you were a "member" of a private club, and provided your own liquor - even kept there on premises for your convenience. Public facilities could previously sell bottled spirits, but not for consumption there. Now that licensed restaurants were able to offer "Liquor by the Drink", those of strong religious belief objecting to spirits (at least in public) were going to make you sorry the law was passed, serving the poorest quality mixed drinks --  and it seemed that they were successful.

By the time we moved back to Louisiana five years later, things in Richmond and Western Henrico County, Virginia had improved substantially. Aside from my day responsibilities of Information Systems Administration, my band worked weekend evenings at a fine Greek Restaurant on West Broad Street where the food and drink were exceptionally delightful, as were the George, the owner, as well as his daughter Mina.

This is not good..

For hospitals already in bad financial shape before the outbreak, the loss of income has raised doubts about their ability to keep treating patients.

One of the more financially stable hospital systems in the country, . Under normal conditions, the company earns about $16 million each month in net operating income. But after postponing elective surgeries,

Is losing about $100 million a month,

On Wednesday, vxvxvx , which operates 21 hospitals across Tennessee and southwest Virginia, delivered the same bad news to 1,300 employees, and said executives would take pay cuts. "would furlough workers"

airport:

Airport seeing 3-8 passengers a day

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)