1928 Pulling Rear Brake Drums with Wooden Wheels

Regarding Chrysler's with 1928 external lining hydraulic brakes.  I've done some research and it appears to pull the drum off a rear axle you cannot attach any kind of pronged puller to the wood spokes of the wheel without doing damage to the spokes.  It went on to say a metal cap for lack of a better term needs to be machined which can thread into the hub using the hub cap threads which also has a flange to hold the prongs from a pronged puller as well a a threaded hole in the center of the cap to use with a threaded lug which will apply tension on the end of the axle to pop the spoke wheel attached to the drum off.  Is this the only way to do this?  Is there a tool that will take the place of having to make something?   

Hey keiser31, thank you, does anyone know the diameter and thread size of the 1928 Chrysler hub cap?  Or better yet what type of puller was specifically made for that purpose?     

We made a puller for the '28 Dodge we worked on. The tool threaded over the centre hub threads. We split the threads and had bolt fastened across the thread gap there to be able to tighten and cinch down the threads good and tight. Then a threaded bolt was inserted through the centre of the cap tool. It was tightened against the axle centre forcing the wheel off the tapered axle shaft.

Being able to cinch down on the hub threads is important. If not the threads on the hub can be destroyed. There is not much there to bite on to. Sorry I don't have a pic of the tool we made.

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 8.17.26 AM.png

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

Yeah 23hack I know.  See I own the car but it's not here it's stuck in another state courtesy of the Coronavirus embargo.  Don't ask for the details.  Someday the sun will rise and we will come out from under these stormy skies, then many things will be possible which are not possible now.......I hope.

The parts book says the model 62 and 72 share the same hubcaps, BUT, my experience with Chrysler screw on hubcaps of this era, has taught me, that there are several different sizes, so best to measure the hub, even if you have to wait until after lockdown is over.

Many years ago, when I started rebuilding my 28 model 52, I had the same senario, trying to get the back hubs off the shafts. An old time mechanic told me, loosen the hub nuts several turns, then drive the car around in figure of 8 circles a few times and then jolt the car back and forth on the clutch, with the motor running. He said the torque would loosen the hubs from the shafts. I have never tried this method, and could not try it, as my car was in a thousand pieces and the wood spokes were all missing thanks to white ants, but if your car is running, with a working handbrake, it is worth a try.

Here is my puller that my local engineer made up for me. Note, front and rear hubs are not the same, ask me how I know...🙃

I initial took my front wheel to him to make the puller, when I got it home, it was way too loose on the rear hub.

I can't quite recall what he said the dimension was, something like 2- */64". Like others have said, measure it to be sure.

IMAG3242.thumb.jpg.6d336f646b61b4df2c27a2cdfd807cca.jpgIMAG3243.thumb.jpg.1f1c234d7341d8048d4023bbdf616b5e.jpg

Edited by maok (see edit history)
  • Like 1

ArticiferTom, thank you, if you read my previous post I don't have the car in my possession yet so I've just been delving around for information based on what I believe will be issues which will need to be addressed.  Your offer is very kind and I may need to take you up on it.....

• Like 1

Not hard to obtain, contact this person.   (gmcmurtry@embarqmail.com)

OR

You could locate either style of puller shown.  These involve jacking up the opposite wheel to the one you want to remove.  You then screw the "knock off" puller in place of the axle nut.  Tighten and then you hit the puller with a large hammer.

OR

Follow the above directions using the axle nit.  You back the nut off until it is flush with the end if the axle, the strike it HARD with a LARGE hammer.

Any/all of these work.  I have listed them as first, second and last choice.

101 puller.png

102 puller.png

knock off.jpg

Edited by Guest
more information (see edit history)

• 11 months later...

Now this really vexes me.  After months of looking for a correct hub puller for my 1928 Chrysler Model 72 with wooden spoke wheels, I find one, 2 3/8 diameter 16 TPI (yes I measured it with a thread pitch gauge) and it will NOT thread onto my hubs.  I don't know if the threads on the hubs or the threads on the puller are buggered but I can say the hub caps screw onto the wheel hubs with no problems.  Has anyone else encountered this?  

I cannot believe it was one year to the day I replied to this thread . I went to the shop and looked at the two I have . Neither one is close to your dimensions , or I would send you one . This is vexing ! With the right dimension it will fit . As you say the hubcaps fit , but not the puller . Where are you located ? Is there a Chrysler / Dodge / Plymouth club member near you to ask for club help ? 

Hi HarryLime, I'm in New Jersey.  It's not a crisis now because my wheels are off and are in the restoration stage.  However, it would sooth my mind to know why this %#@&% puller does not thread on.  I tried to bring it to a local machine shop for a diagnosis and was turned away, too busy for that stuff.  Now I feel I can't trust another one to fit unless I try it before I buy it!

Addendum:  A digital caliper was used to measure the diameter of my rear hub and it read 2.496 so I have to challenge the information posted by Sasha39 (please don't take offense).  It appears that my rear hubs are 2 1/2 inches wide 16 TPI and not 2 3/8 inches wide 16 TPI.  I've also heard from an knowledgeable third party who claims that information is not accurate.  This is the reason my puller does not thread on to my hubs.......

100_1082.JPG

Hi leomara, no offense taken.

When I look at my Chrysler Master Parts List it lists two separate part numbers for the Rear wheel hubs for the 62 and 72, 38759 for the 62 and 70882 for the 72, you would assume if the hubs were the same you would only have one part number, anyway we can only go by what's written in our reference books.

Glad you were able to work out the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish you were closer as we could just make you one. I made the one for my 30 DeSoto and it has worked good. Been a year ago so I don't recall the diameter. 

Tom your mentioning the tapper is interesting as I just cut straight threads on mine and it just snugs up before running out of threads on the hub. Seems to have the same clearance all the way on to that point. 

As it turns out I got the hub puller which was 2 9/16 diameter 16 TPI and it fits my rear hubs.  My hubs measure 2.56 on a digital caliper, 2.5625 is 2 9/16.  I don't have any idea why the rear hubs on my 1928 Model 72 do not match the 2 3/8 size as documentation implies.  Mysteries abound in the Chrysler restoration process.