Rear axle fluid- Update-Photos

Eddie-O

Hello again folks,

OK, took some pics of the unit in front of the axle housing and I hope this can help resolve my dilemma . Not the best pics, but you'll get the point.

I'm leaning towards what some of you have mentioned, an over drive perhaps ?You'll see the drain plug on the bottom and what appears to be a fill plug on top. Would this unit take the same gear oil as the axle? Also, what would be the correct level of oil? How would I know it's where it should be? Thought I would just pull the plugs and see if there is a dip stick or gauge on one, but I don't dare without knowing for sure. I know there has to be someone on this forum who has the same unit! This is my last item to care for before I take her for a spin.

Thank's to you all for any help or advise and all stay healthy.

Ed

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Eddie-o,   Here is a pix of my over drive on the pax side.   This side has two plugs.   The rearward plug has a vent pipe that crosses over the OD.    Just forward of that one is a second plug.    This one is a bit lower and is used as a full fill level.     The bottom of the OD case has a drain plug when flushing / cleaning the OD.     The OD is filled with 90/140 rear end gear oil.    You replace the bottom plug and snug it like you would the drain on the rear end.    Have both side plugs open and refill the OD using the upper opening.   Fill the OD until oil begins to come out the lower side opening.   Then plug the lower opening and replace the upper opening with the plug that has the vent tube.   Be sure the vent tube goes up and over the OD.    This way the OD does not pressurize and blow out the oil.     

3913DD32-EA9D-4E56-87AC-A971B9AE0DFA.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3d600655965f23bc36e15ef

Don't remove that. It holds the pinion bearing in.

Taking the lower pan bolt(s) out should drain it. Remove the pan to clean out inside. Pay attention to the location of the fill plug on the pan. Someone in here probably knows how far below the hole to fill. If not, get the capacity from the service manual, and put that much in (or a tiny bit less). Many older cars did not fill all the way level with the fill plug like newer ones.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

When I change oil in my OD,  I use a magnet on a stick and insert it in both side openings.  The ole finger inserted  also helps.   Why you say ?,    Well last year when I was doing my PM under my '38-46s'  I found a small amount of  'stuff'  inside.    I stuck my magnet in and found a bearing cage that was on its way to destroying itself.    The  'cage'  is the part of the ball bearing that keeps the balls  equally spaced around the races.     These two ( sometimes only one ) bearings are on the out put shaft of the OD.    Most OD's have two.    You need to disassemble the OD and clean, and replace all three bearings inside the OD.     Make sure to replace them with bearing that are NOT MANUFACTURED IN CHINA..    I owned a bearing shop for over 18 years.   I know what works and what is a poor choice.     Chinese bearings are poor quality - - -.     Even Rusian bearings are better.    If you have any questions,  e-mail me.   

Yes, do NOT loosen the bolts  (three at 120 * ) as they hold the pinion shaft forward in the pumpkin.   Drain the rear end using the bottom plug.   Oil that is in the pinion area will drain - via gravity,  to the bottom of the tear end.    Removing the rear cover will let you look in the rear and see if  there is any 'sluge' in the bottom.     All the rears I've worked on are fairly clean and the oil is also clean.   If dirty,  you will see it now.    You can stick your hand into the bottom of the pumpkin and wipe the residual oil out for final inspection.    Clean the gasket area and replace the cover using RTV on the gasket.   Just enough to lightly cover the gasket on both sides.   Put it together and use a torque wrench to tighten the cover to the pumpkin.   Then (if you replaced the cover in the correct orientation) refill with rear end oil up to the  plug opening at the back.   The factory oil level determined by the factory plug,  gets you there....

What?

Overdrives? Grease? 1918?!!!!

Hate to be this contrary, but no, no, and no. I get that the OP did not post a make model, and year, but April Fools Day is over, and this is getting ridiculous. The pictures show a Buick rearend, probably with hypoid gears, probably from the late 30s or the 40s. The bolts with a locknut hold the front pinion bearing in. They are torqued, locknutted and sealed with sealer when the rear axle is assembled. They should not be screwed with ever, unless one is tearing down the axle completely, and removing or replacing the bearing. The bearing is oiled by the rear axle oil.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You guys are GREAT! Thanks for all the input and help. I got it. I'll just drain the oil through the rear cover, clean, replace gasket and refill. I'll leave that front unit alone. BTW , I failed to mention that it's a 41 Sedanette with dual carb, flat eight. Ordering the gasket today and with a little luck, do the shake down ride next week Snow and salt are gone, but still rain for next couple days. That's OK though, will help to wash the last of the salt away. I'm going to assume the cover plug is in the correct orientation in the first pic . Don't know if it was ever off but if it was I'm hoping they installed it correctly. The car had a full restoration a few years back so I'm guessing it was done right. Everything else on the car was done perfectly from front to back.

I can't thank all of you enough!

Stay healthy and safe

Ed

• Like 1

On my '37, I removed the cover completely to clean out the old oil.

DSC_0448.thumb.JPG.2c89149ccfa80c1391ee887b8bff33f1.JPG.81933a62d67f8ea0358dcd43b3a9bf2e.JPG

Remove the cover and clean out years of thick goop

DSC_0542.thumb.jpg.f07c810f884568cea23fbd0d8603fe88.jpg.93efbc07a0894c426bbcb4d17c375a73.jpg

Done.. everything cleaned up

DSC_0548.thumb.JPG.baacac617bf00c2f8884ec18483dd337.JPG.60c50ef37191f3403d534726195616cd.JPG

Scrape the old gasket completely

DSC_0560.thumb.JPG.6c096b33498746bea6993c6c6fb715c0.JPG.4617b62e154383fb1cd6d0e3da093b4a.JPG

Now nice and clean, I applied a thin bead of permatex black

Be sure you orient it the same way it came off so the fill is at the correct height

DSC_0578.thumb.jpg.673b634846473a4ec575a1de5e06287b.jpg.c238d5917238b13af2fc7d4d1b7cc084.jpg

Button her up and fill only to the drain hole.

• Like 3