Przemek M

Shopping in Bob's Automobilia store - surprising experience

Sorry for bothering you with my surprising shopping experience in the Bob's Automobilia store. Maybe someone can help me to understand this situation:

I bought a fuel pump kit from Bob's store (described on Bob's website and invoiced as 1932-39 S.60-80-90 + 34-35 S.50 FK-117) The kit was supposed to fit my 1932 Buick. (Series 60).
I received a set 36-39 60-80-90 + 34-35 50, that does not fit my car.
It turned out that there was an error in the description of the FK-117 set on Bob's website. Instead of 1932–39, it should be 1936–39.
I sent polite complaint to Bob and received an email saying I can exchange the kit. At the same time, Bob on his website corrected the description of the set, which is now correctly described as 1936-39 instead of 1932-39.
I told Bob that he should cover the shipping costs in this situation and I received the following response:

"You may return for a exchange or refund (like ALL customers)"

So I sent another email to explain this situation, which in my opinion is obvious: the store made a mistake in the description of the item, the store covers the costs of exchange.
In response to my message, I received the following reply:

'Good Bye
 Shop elsewhere"

All my emails I sent to Bob were very polite. This is not a big deal and I am still not entirely clear what is the reason for such Bob's behavior.
Maybe I just don't understand the rules of the seller and customer relations in the US? However, this is quite a surprising experience.
I would be grateful if anyone could explain it to me.

Greetings and stay healthy,

Simple answer:  Bob is wrong.  He should, at his expense, send you the proper part and, if he wants his part back, pay for return shipping.

• Like 5

Nothing misunderstood if all you say is true.  I won't be shopping there, with service like that.  I guess they don't like selling much.

I've had some mild rudeness at other places, but in the end it was satisfactory and never once was I told to shop elsewhere.

I have shopped at Bob's mostly with good success, not always though. I ordered wiper blades for my '56 Roadmaster a while sgo, and I couldn't get them to fit. Their ad simply said 54-56. Turns out they were only for a small series. I called, and the guy plainly said they don;'t fit the large series. That was it! So I tried them on my son's '55 Special, they didn't fit there either!

Then retainers for connecting rods for my '41. The ones they sold me were for a small series engine, not the large one. Trouble was I'd had them some time and couldn't complain.

So, though I have bought good stuff from them, there seems to be errors in their catalogues.

Keith

I would say that sounds a lot like every single exchange I’ve ever had with a highly skilled mechanic or machinist — but not the Bob I’ve dealt with in the past.

I’d say, like every 3 out of 4 Americans, he’s been on lockdown for weeks now — except he’s in California which has been on lockdown even longer. I also suspect, like every other mail-order based business permitted to be operating right now, he’s absolutely bombarded with orders and inquiries from people stuck in their houses.

In the middle of an engine rebuild, not working, stuck at home, I’d like to be getting that done but can’t! Instead I’ve got parts on order all across the country waiting to be manufactured. It’s not yet clear when this can be done.

I can’t imagine what a business like his with parts on hand is going through right now....

I don’t have any advice on how to confront the situation - but would encourage patience. This is a terrible situation.

Now, the errors in his catalog — there’s no excuse for that.

I have bought a ton of parts from Bob for my '37 so far good prices and service. IMHO If your story is straight up correct Bob is dead wrong. 

Ben P.

"Bombarded with orders" you say !!!!! No one in the old car world is bombarded with orders (I wish !!!!!!!) -- while so many are home now,

Very few are spending money, because they are scared they may not have some shortly !!!!!!

I have some awesome Buick Parts (and G M, Mopar, Ford, and a whoooooooole lot more).  If anyone wants to bombard me with orders, I will be more than Happy to serve.....

516 - 485 - 1935... Long Island, New York..... Yours, Craig.....

• Like 3

LOL. Okay, well, maybe it’s just the common tools and such I’ve been trying to order. Amazon is particularly bad - say they have in stock - place the order - then the shipping info comes - end of May! Cripe, had I know that I wouldn’t’ve ordered. Literally stuck in the mud here.

Got anything for a 1918 Buick?

Everything we know we need so far has to be manufactured as this is a resized rebore....

34 minutes ago, mobileparts said:

Ben P.

"Bombarded with orders" you say !!!!! No one in the old car world is bombarded with orders (I wish !!!!!!!) -- while so many are home now,

Very few are spending money, because they are scared they may not have some shortly !!!!!!

I have some awesome Buick Parts (and G M, Mopar, Ford, and a whoooooooole lot more).  If anyone wants to bombard me with orders, I will be more than Happy to serve.....

516 - 485 - 1935... Long Island, New York..... Yours, Craig.....

I just received my Cadillac parts from Craig at Mobilparts -

hard to find items at very fair prices

Craig has the right business attitude, and I will be dong more business with him

He responded immediately to my request, and seems very knowledgeable-

also vends at Hershey

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Ben P.,

1918 is going to be rugged..... I basically do the 1930s - to - the 1970s.

Certainly, Amazon is not the answer.... They are just a Chineseum linked reselling institution....

And, it is not like they grew up in a family run shrine for old parts -- and have been doing this for 49 years, like I have !!!! 

Marty,

Take care of your wife, today.  I will research presently, and call you later this afternoon.

Everyone else,

Marty's order was so big and with instantaneous payment -- that I gave him Front Wheel Seals, that sell for $19.00 - $30.00 each for FREE, and that was for a pair of N.O.S. nice soft supple felt seals, no repro rubber lipped garbage !!!!!!! And I charged him $ 70.00 for shipping --- It wound up being

$ 121.86 -- and I said, don't worry about it --- in this time of very few sales!!!!

Yours, Craig ..... Stay safe, everyone, we are an older crowd....

Edited by mobileparts
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, mobileparts said:

Ben P.,

1918 is going to be rugged..... I basically do the 1930s - to - the 1970s.

Certainly, Amazon is not the answer.... They are just a Chineseum linked reselling institution....

And, it is not like they grew up in a family run shrine for old parts -- and have been doing this for 49 years, like I have !!!! 

Marty,

Take care of your wife, today.  I will research presently, and call you later this afternoon.

Everyone else,

Marty's order was so big and with instantaneous payment -- that I gave him Front Wheel Seals, that sell for $19.00 - $30.00 each for FREE, and that was for a pair of N.O.S. nice soft supple felt seals, no repro rubber lipped garbage !!!!!!! And I charged him $ 70.00 for shipping --- It wound up being

$ 121.86 -- and I said, don't worry about it --- in this time of very few sales!!!!

Yours, Craig ..... Stay safe, everyone, we are an older crowd....

^^^^^^ And THAT folks is how you treat a customer!!  Bravo!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello,
Thank you all for confirming that in the US and Europe the same rules apply in the relations between the seller and the customer.
I usually believe in people and I still believe that Bob is just having a difficult time, which may partially explain his behavior.
Regards,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also saved Craig's contact details and I will definitely "bombard" him with some orders.
Thanks,

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Brad Conley said:

Simple answer:  Bob is wrong.  He should, at his expense, send you the proper part and, if he wants his part back, pay for return shipping.

With Przemek M being in Poland and Bob's in California shipping will be very expensive.  But they should supply the part you ordered at no extra costs.  If paid by credit card charge back may be a option.  If the shipping docket shows the "old" description and the revised web site the new description that would be good proof

• Like 1

Przemek M,

You're being in Poland (I am of Polish and Russian descent) -- do not spend the money to make a phone call....

You can mail me here, through the AACA Forum, or you can email me at

mobileparts@yahoo.com

Whatever is easiest for you is fine by me..... Yours, Craig.....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I started to deal with Bob's Automobilia ten years ago and I always thought their shipping was high and their prices were a bit high. I now deal with CARS (old Buick parts). Very similar parts and the prices and shipping is good. I had a couple of conversations that could have been handled with more grace and charm on their end and I don't need the grief. 

Edited by kingrudy
clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I am pretty sure it was Bob that used to set up in the corner of the Hershey White Field in the 1990's. I bought some things, talked cars, and have good vibrations. He seemed pretty old to me at that time, 30 years older now. You know how those old guys get cranky. I have seen a few. Or, a second generation is in there. I would print the message out and mail it back, USPS. And politely ask for a clarification. Might have been a bad day.

I spent some time around the Reservation when I was in my early 20's. I heard someone there say "Treat a man as a brother until he proves himself unworthy, then ignore him". I wouldn't remember that 50 years later if it hadn't worked.

Bernie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2020 at 4:51 PM, Przemek M said:

'Good Bye
 Shop elsewhere"

Not good that someone put that comment in an email.  Maybe the though was that one person out of the country would not affect his business.  Send another email with a link to this forum discussion and ask that the owner review the situation again.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, old-tank said:

Not good that someone put that comment in an email.... Send another email with a link to this forum discussion and ask that the owner review the situation again.

That is exactly what I would do - at this point. It may run the risk of entrenching him further, but  most comments here gave him the benefit of the doubt - and his closing comment to you (after you were diplomatic) was a clear ‘send-off’.

Perhaps he feels he owes you no reassessment of the situation - but he needs to know he does owe it to his business.

Good luck.

Edited by Ben P.
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, 1939_Buick said:

With Przemek M being in Poland and Bob's in California shipping will be very expensive.  But they should supply the part you ordered at no extra costs.  If paid by credit card charge back may be a option.  If the shipping docket shows the "old" description and the revised web site the new description that would be good proof

In my second message to Bob I offered him exchange on his cost or discount for the next order due to high costs of shipping from/to Europe. The answer was no for both options.

I will not fight with Bob despite evident prooves on invoice and current description of the kit but thanks for advice.

Regards,

21 hours ago, mobileparts said:

Przemek M,

You're being in Poland (I am of Polish and Russian descent) -- do not spend the money to make a phone call....

You can mail me here, through the AACA Forum, or you can email me at

mobileparts@yahoo.com

Whatever is easiest for you is fine by me..... Yours, Craig.....

Hello Craig,

I have already found your contact data together with good references:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/parts-sale-11/nos-parts-sale-craig-studnick-mobileparts-his-flyers-104223/

I will contact you when make the final list of parts I need.

Thanks,

18 hours ago, kingrudy said:

I started to deal with Bob's Automobilia ten years ago and I always thought their shipping was high and their prices were a bit high. I now deal with CARS (old Buick parts). Very similar parts and the prices and shipping is good. I had a couple of conversations that could have been handled with more grace and charm on their end and I don't need the grief. 

Thanks for the information. It's good to know that there are other online stores with Buick parts.

Regards,

7 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I am pretty sure it was Bob that used to set up in the corner of the Hershey White Field in the 1990's. I bought some things, talked cars, and have good vibrations. He seemed pretty old to me at that time, 30 years older now. You know how those old guys get cranky. I have seen a few. Or, a second generation is in there. I would print the message out and mail it back, USPS. And politely ask for a clarification. Might have been a bad day.

I spent some time around the Reservation when I was in my early 20's. I heard someone there say "Treat a man as a brother until he proves himself unworthy, then ignore him". I wouldn't remember that 50 years later if it hadn't worked.

Bernie

Very goo comment. I think I'm somewhere between the "brother" and "ignore" stages:)

Regards,

4 hours ago, old-tank said:

Not good that someone put that comment in an email.  Maybe the though was that one person out of the country would not affect his business.  Send another email with a link to this forum discussion and ask that the owner review the situation again.

I have already sent such a message with another attempt to convince Bob that with such small thing it makes no sense to react like this. No answer yet.

Regards,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Przemek M said:

Very goo comment. I think I'm somewhere between the "brother" and "ignore" stages:)

Regards,

That was probably Bob thirty years ago.  Now you're dealing with Bob, Jr.  I have had very good service from them over many years. One time I bought a 1941 Series 60-70-90 clutch and pressure plate from them.  The restoration shop said it wouldn't work. I called them and they said send it back and they would exchange it.  I did that and the next clutch assembly was fine.  However, Bob Jr. called me after receiving the first clutch back and was a little hot, saying they checked it out and nothing was wrong with it.  I just bailed, telling them all I knew was what the restoration shop told me.  After all, the mechanic there had worked in a Chevrolet shop all of his working life.  That said, I think there was a misunderstanding one way or the other.  I can't say anything bad about Bob (who I knew) or Bob Jr., or the other guys who answer the phone.  Virtually nobody will give you back postage if you send something back.  That's just a fact of life here.  On this subject, ever since the lock-down and for a period before that, nobody seems to be putting anything much up for sale on eBay for pre-War Buicks.  I can't talk, because I have a bunch of 1941 parts, some 39 and some 64 and I'm not putting anything on eBay either.  But that is mostly because I'm too lazy to deal with all of the massive number of rules  you have to put  up with anymore to use eBay.  It used to be a great place to sell.