Gasket Sealer

Cokekid

It really depends where the sealant is being used, there is a wide variety.  I would not use the lower cost gasket maker acetoxy silicones on anything car or engine related since the acetic acid in it is the cure catalyst and causes corrosion on metal surfaces so they will leak in about 3 years.  You can tell by it's strong smell right away.  It is better for ceramic or non metal.  The better silicone sealants have a sweeter smell but most  will  not hold up to high pressure and temp on a head gasket.  Some car manufactures use silicone only on valve covers and oil pans.  But you want to get the right cure time if you need time to fit, and you want the right viscosity and tensile strength so it doesn't blow out.  Some like Loctite 598 black are thinner viscosity, but better quality silicone.  And 5900 is a heavy body black silicone for oil pans- put on, finger tighten bolts, and slightly re-tighten bolts next day after cure.  If a tranny gasket it needs to be chemically compatible.  Have to be sure on rear end pumpkin gaskets to not use just any silicone because most will cause the oil/slip agent to foam and wear the gears fast. I think heavy body grey 5699 is recommended for rear end covers.  I would research on line for your specific application, or call 1(800)-loctite and punch numbers needed to get  to Tech Service, describe your application and they will give you a few P/N recommendations for free.

40ZephSedan

I am trying to put together the usual parts ,Oil pan, Water pumps on this V12 engine.  I had bought the engine gasket set at Hersey last year from Earle Brown Jr and just thought I would be using Gasket Sealer just like I did in the past. On reading your reply, it seems that I have to use some type off silicone sealer. I was hoping some of our members would chime in and let me know what they  used  when their was put together.

I am hoping I have not wasted over $200.00 on materials that I no longer need.

Thanks 

A good gasket sealer for the paper and cork gaskets is Permatex Hi-Tack. It comes in brush and spray type applications. If you use the rattle can, have plenty of newspaper to protect surrounding surfaces. With the brush, put on a very thin coat, more is not better.

Generally it is not needed to seal good gaskets, but it does help to keep the gasket in place when installing. It does make it more difficult to remove the remains of a gasket when it has to be replaced. Make sure that both surfaces where the gasket is used are clean and smooth. The oil pan should be checked to make sure that the bolt holes are even with the rest of the sealing surface before installing the gasket or pan.