Cleaning Gas Stains From Glass

$um Fun

I am restoring this early electric Stewart Warner fuel pump  and looking for a good proven method to clean the gas stains from the glass bowl. They are on the inside of the bowl and probably been there for the last 75 plus years.

pump1.jpg

I'd start with a week-long soak in MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) or (2nd choice) acetone, but "varnish" almost always requires some mechanical effort.  Find a way to hold it steady without breaking it, and use brass bristle brush after it's soaked awhile.

• Like 2

My son messes around with old bottles. After laying in the ground or buried in the remains of an out house for many years they are pretty scuzzy. He tumbles them, inside and out, in a purpose built bottle tumbler using chopped bits of copper wire as a medium. After a few days they come out bright and shiny.

Google bottle tumbler. .............Bob

I agree with Grimy. Soak it in MEK for a week. It might need more cleaning afterward, but after you take it out of the MEK and let it dry, you will probably find that all that buildup of crud has turned to dry power that will crumble and wipe off with a shop rag.