1936 Willys model 77

Ave250r

Came across this car and am looking to purchase it.  Was wanting to know more about them. Any input would be greatly appreciated, what to look for.   And possibly a ball bark value.  Was up and road worthy ten years ago.  Been sitting inside on rollers since.  Thank you !

7F798188-663E-4AD0-AE1E-CA9FD000FB48.jpeg

Ave250r, the Willys 77 was produced from 1933 to 1936. They came in coupe, sedan, pick up, sedan delivery, and roadster. A lot of them were used as Gassers, or Street Rods. That is what the car you are looking at is. All Willys Model 77 were powered by a 4 cyl. Good luck in buying the car.

No. Do you have an idea what they are asking for it. Willys 77's don't come around every day, and you have to see  how  good the body and chassis are. I take it, the motor is not the original 4 cyl. Body parts are available in fiberglass. Good luck. John

Ave250r...I suggest that you check the body panels to find out how many are steel (hopefully all of them?). All-steel Willys cars are worth a great deal more than fiberglass replicas. 

There have been many, many fiberglass parts made for Willys. A very good friend of mine was a very well-known gasser driver who match-raced in 38 different states, and went on to become crew chief for a top notch superstock drag racing team. He tells me that his 33 Willys was ALL aftermarket parts, except for the trunk lid handle, which was OEM Willys. The entire body was fiberglass...and this was in the late 1960's. So it is entirely possible that this car you have found could include a lot of fiberglass parts on a later model chassis. Depending on what you find upon further examination, it might still be worth that kind of money. 

Just my opinion. 

PS: Below are some photos of my friend Paul Frost's 33 Willys gasser, back in the day: 

natnltrailsmay1968.jpg

1pencesaug68.jpg

natnltrailsmay68.jpg

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

This was Willys smallest car based on the twenties Whippet. They continued making them after they stopped making the larger more expensive Knight engine models. They had a 4 cylinder engine that was not too good. Later, Delmar "Barney" Roos made major improvements to this engine, increasing horsepower and more than doubling engine life for the Americar model that started in 1938. The same engine was used in WW2 Jeeps and in civilian Jeeps for several years after the war. It was a 4 cyl flathead that was replaced in 1954 by an F head 4.

They were the smallest car made in America at the time, with the exception of Bantam . If you want a small unusual car you could have a lot of fun with a Willys. Not many survive in stock condition, hundreds were cut up for hot rods and drag racers in the fifties and sixties.

I don't know much about the model but if the engine interchanges with later Americar and Jeep models that would be a big advantage. As others pointed out, fibreglass body panels are available. As for other parts there may be a Willys club that can help out.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WOKR is the club for these Willyses (Willys Overland Knight Registry).  Or check out a street rod site, like HAMB.

F head 134 came out before 1954, in 1950.  My 1950 Jeepster has one. Not found in a Jeep CJ until 1954 due to low hood line. The F head is much taller than the flat head.

3 hours ago, Ave250r said:

I was told from a different person she was thinking 5-6,000.  She was unsure what engine is.  

BUY IT!                That is based in pre virus days. Hot Rod value is far higher than restored to original value. Bob 

Its value to you depends upon what you want the car to be.  If you are pursuing an original and this car has been modified with newer drivetrain and chassis components, interior, paint, etc, then all you be buying is a body and a frame.  You'll have to take it from there to return it to original configuration or some semblance thereof.   Analyze what it is when you inspect it, compare it to what you want it to be and then decide on what its value is to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For 5 or 6 grand it's certainly worth it. If I had to guess I would bet that the motor is a small block chevy. It might just need a clean up and for 6K you have a driver. If you plan on scrapping all the street rod stuff and doing a total restoration, thats a different story.

• Like 1

The consensus seems to be, it's a good buy at the price but you should go over the car with a magnet looking for fibreglass parts, check the engine, chassis, interior for modifications, and ask if they have any of the original parts such as the wheels. Take any needed repairs and replacements into account when it comes to price. If the car is heavily modified you need to decide if you want a modified car or not. It's probably not worth it if you have to change the engine, chassis, etc back to stock it would be better to hold out for one that is not modified even if it costs more money. Unless you are happy with the modified car.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Just looked at the car..   not one piece of Fiberglass on it ALL metal.   Doesn’t have the original engine/ tranny.  It has a 4 cylinder Mazda in it.  Looks like it’s been restored but great quality of work.   Needs door windows installed and door panels.  Has like a vinyl top ...  is that factory ?

• Like 1

Note the cars in the original car photos, they all have a vinyl insert area in the top.  That was common in the 1930s cars as making a full metal roof stamping was not yet common practice.  

• Thanks 1

SO at a minimum you will need to find an engine and transmission and  wheels. What about the steering box, front and rear axle, brake drums ? Perhaps a contact with the WOKR ( Willys Overland Knight) Registry person who may be the tech guy for these can answer the questions of perhaps where /what is missing can be located. Are you equipped and ready to take on a project? Do you have the time and space to do so?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ave250r said:

I’d honestly prolly just drive it the way it is. She’s at $5,500 on it.  I don’t that price is bad.   

I'd find different wheels & tires, and drive it as is, cheap entry level car,. enjoy it. Bob 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ave250r said:

I’d honestly prolly just drive it the way it is. She’s at $5,500 on it.  I don’t that price is bad.   

Ave250r, you just answered all your questions. The price isn't bad, and just drive it the way it is. Good Luck. Hope you get it. John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry didn’t see the responses on the second page here.   I was really surprised that the car was all metal and had zero fiberglass on it.  I will drive it as is, maybe find some better looking wheels for it and just have a nice old cruiser.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ave250r said:

Sorry didn’t see the responses on the second page here.   I was really surprised that the car was all metal and had zero fiberglass on it.  I will drive it as is, maybe find some better looking wheels for it and just have a nice old cruiser.   

Since most of us are men on this forum and men tend to be visual creatures, post some pics of when you pick up the car and your progress along the way.

It's a very interesting and unique car, especially being that it is an all metal body not hacked up and full of fiberglass.

Wondering if the engine swap was done clean or if they hacked up the frame in the process.

Good luck with your new purchase!

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'd suggest you contemplate where you want the interior to end up.  It can be an incremental project, but with the end in mind pieces will not need to be redone.  For example, choose the door card material and pattern to match your target, not necessarily what's there now.

A Hollander manual can tell what other cars' wheels will work, but be sure first that your hubs have not been changed.  Some plain moon caps wouldn't be out of character if the Willys ones are too elusive.

• 1 month later...

Didn’t take much to get this car running even though it was sitting so long.  Working on the brakes now.   They stubbed in the mazda front end.   The body work on this car is great.  It has definitely caught a lot of attention and have had a handful of people wanting to buy it.