Gray Davis lamps

Dlatimer78

I have a pair of gray davis lamps here in the United Kingdom.  I’ve had various people comment on their original application from Cadillac to Ford Model T.  I would find them hard to move on if I don’t know where they came from.  I can sell them easily as a decorative item but I would much rather they go back on a car.  Photos attached,  anyone any ideas?

273F7EA8-9578-4CEC-92F9-A9F205BFC0D2.jpeg

F7355EBF-2DF8-4D3E-A07D-EF53787DE0CC.jpeg

5ECFB6E8-B1B7-4F5A-BF3C-D71D2F76F308.jpeg

With the trunnion mount I would say they are more likely a spotlight off a fire truck than a car and would have been mounted singularly. That type of thing is also tossed onto period speedsters which might be why the Model T was mentioned. Good luck 

Given that style of mounting and the nice plating I would agree that a Fire Truck is the most likely use. Also possibly a Yacht. Some commercial trucks also used lamps like this but generally just painted steel shells and mounting bracket.

They seem reasonably common at swap meets . Over the years I have seen several for sale, but mostly the painted version.

Greg in Canada

Agree with Mark and Greg, most certainly used on a truck, probably a firetruck.  They were also used on boats using that kind of mount.  A similar lamp sold at auction in 2018 for $125.  They are not really a "pair."  Obviously they were plated at one time and one has been polished down to the brass.  Would date them to the early 20s.

Terry

Thanks guys for all the info, I really appreciate it.  I’ve seen one or two up for grabs in the US but they are a pretty rare item here in the UK.  I was hoping someone would come forward and say they are exactly what they are looking for.  I’ve thrown them on eBay with your comments.  They will most likely end up in someone’s living room as a decorative item but never mind.