Location of engine no. 1922 Oldsmobile 43AT

OLDMAN

Can someone tell me where the engine no. is located on the engine of my 1922 Oldsmobile 

Model 43AT?

I have the plaque on the "fire wall" identifying the engine no. , but can not locate the no.

on the engine itself. I have located casting numbers, but no engine no.

Thank you,

OLDMAN

19 minutes ago, OLDMAN said:

Tinindian. Yes the engines are pretty much the same. Oldsmobile used the basic engine of the Chevrolet and put their name on the intake manifold plate. Where is the engine number on the 1922 Chevy?

I should have thought to look at the '22 Chev info.

According to The Standard Catalog the FB Chev engine number is stamped on the flywheel.

• 11 months later...

The engine number is located on the front mount left side on top. The engine was made by Mason. The Chevy FB engine was similar, but not the same. If you have any more questions just give me a yell. I'll help you out on your 43A. I have a lot of info. 

DSCN0718.JPG

48 year mystery solved thanks to you, Mark.  I purchased my 1922 Oldsmobile 43AT in 1973. It came with a spare engine. I long suspected that the spare engine, which has a busted block and a busted cylinder head, was the original engine.  The Serial Number Plate on the Dash (firewall) of my car shows Motor No. B17037 and Car No. 16476.  The spare engine is set up for 4 point suspension, and the engine in my car has a 3 point suspension.  Oldsmobile used the Front Motor Arm for the 4 point suspension up to engine No. B24664. After engine No. B24664, Oldsmobile went to a 3 point suspension. My car is set up for both a 4 point and a 3 point suspension. The 3 point suspension engine does not have the Front Motor Arm. Instead, it has a cast iron Gear Cover which rests on and is bolted to the Front Cross Member of the frame.  The Gear Cover for the 4 point suspension is stamped steel.  Since the engine in my car does not have the Front Motor Arm, there is no place for the motor number.  I was able to find the motor number on the Front Motor Arm of the spare engine right where you showed it in your posting. Thus, proving that the spare engine was the original engine.  In the 9 years it took me to restore my car, I could not locate an engine number.  Unlike a '22 Chevy, the engine number is not stamped on the fly wheel.  Thank you very much, Mark, for solving this mystery and the offer to help me with my 43A. -- OLDMAN (Ross)

• Like 1

Difference I have seen between Olds and early Chev 4 engines is single exhaust port in the centre of the Chev head, but 3 ports in the Olds head.   I suspect that the Olds would have a better arrangement to remove excess exhaust heat from the low compression ratio engine.  Bob Schuhkraft showed me remnant of original plaited felt wicks that were intended to gather oil splash within the crankcase ( of his 1912 Chev 4), and assure some lubrication for the crankshaft main bearings. ( The alternative oiling was by "Faith and Hope", which was what T Ford and many others relied on.

• 1 year later...
On 3/23/2021 at 2:55 PM, OLDMAN said:

48 year mystery solved thanks to you, Mark.  I purchased my 1922 Oldsmobile 43AT in 1973. It came with a spare engine. I long suspected that the spare engine, which has a busted block and a busted cylinder head, was the original engine.  The Serial Number Plate on the Dash (firewall) of my car shows Motor No. B17037 and Car No. 16476.  The spare engine is set up for 4 point suspension, and the engine in my car has a 3 point suspension.  Oldsmobile used the Front Motor Arm for the 4 point suspension up to engine No. B24664. After engine No. B24664, Oldsmobile went to a 3 point suspension. My car is set up for both a 4 point and a 3 point suspension. The 3 point suspension engine does not have the Front Motor Arm. Instead, it has a cast iron Gear Cover which rests on and is bolted to the Front Cross Member of the frame.  The Gear Cover for the 4 point suspension is stamped steel.  Since the engine in my car does not have the Front Motor Arm, there is no place for the motor number.  I was able to find the motor number on the Front Motor Arm of the spare engine right where you showed it in your posting. Thus, proving that the spare engine was the original engine.  In the 9 years it took me to restore my car, I could not locate an engine number.  Unlike a '22 Chevy, the engine number is not stamped on the fly wheel.  Thank you very much, Mark, for solving this mystery and the offer to help me with my 43A. -- OLDMAN (Ross)

3/27/2022 Update. Thank you again Mark. My car with the 3 point suspension motor does have a Front Motor Arm (actually, a Motor Plate similar to the motor arm as on the 4 point suspension, but it does not support the motor) 3/28/2022 Update. I checked the Oldsmobile Parts Book dated June 1923 3rd Edition and it lists what I called the Motor Plate as the Gear Cover Plate which was used on and after engine no. B 24664. It is just somewhat different than the spare motor that is a 4 point suspension set-up. The motor number is right where you said it would be as per your information a year ago. I am approaching 80, that is my excuse for not seeing what is now obvious to me.

OLDMAN! 

Edited by OLDMAN
I added some information. (see edit history)