Early Chevrolet Serial Decode

Asking for help deciding this Chevrolet build plate. 

I believe it is a 1928 National AB 2dr model, made in Tarrytown NY, but would like to verify and document that if possible.  

419DD134-5E55-499D-8925-463BD1333715.jpeg

Some pictures of the rest of the car would be helpful. Since your tag is held on with screws instead of rivets this may be an instance of the tag not matching the rest of the story. I am working on a 28 open car, and have a 29 coupe. Art

On 3/30/2020 at 11:54 PM, Periman said:

Asking for help deciding this Chevrolet build plate. 

I believe it is a 1928 National AB 2dr model, made in Tarrytown NY, but would like to verify and document that if possible.  

419DD134-5E55-499D-8925-463BD1333715.jpeg

Have more photos but it won’t let me upload due to size, but it’s a 2dr and had a backseat, I’ve seen ones like it called a “coach” model. 

Its like a 2 dr sedan. 

Thank you

chad 

periman@sbcglobal.net

7 hours ago, Periman said:

Have more photos but it won’t let me upload due to size, but it’s a 2dr and had a backseat, I’ve seen ones like it called a “coach” model. 

Its like a 2 dr sedan. 

Thank you

chad 

periman@sbcglobal.net

I don't know very much about Chevy's but. . .

At one time in the 20s or 30s the SAE published a list of body types with their official naming. In that scheme what Ford called a Tudor and Plymouth called a "two door sedan" the SAE called a "coach". I think GM went along with the SAE's names and called it a coach also. So yes, it is "like a 2 dr sedan" because if it is a "coach" it is the same thing.

I'll give you $50 for that old car mister.

Yes its a coach the most popular model for 1928. Go to old car manual project online for more information.  Art 

Was surprised to see how much wood was used in the body of this car. 

Anyone know what specific type of wood was actually used in the manufacture of automobile bodies at the time (for the body structure, inner door panels, etc)

• 1 month later...

I've had to remove old pieces of a car in our wood lot. On one piece that looked like the seating area of an old car was an identification plate from the Chevrolet Motor Company for a Model CAPITOL with 'Car Number' 6L M 2867. So far, I've found out that indicate a Capitol manufactured in 1927 in Oakland #1687 off the assembly line. The 'L' and 'M' (very distinct on the plate) don't jive with any of the identification information I've found. Anybody have more information?

2B25034C-54BE-4B11-93C8-5CB46146A17A_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.8a609343d8765f1bad1178320ddd2681.jpeg

LM was for a 28 Capitol truck. I think that was the early 28 truck without 4 wheel brakes. LP was late 28/early 29, and LQ was late 29. Unlike cars the truck models changed mid year, around June. I would have to look up which plant was #6 Art