Sign in to follow this  
jord

Flipper Window

Can someone tell me if a part is missing from the frame? I have a spare hole in the gasket and not sure what fills it, the old gasket also had the hole. Is it possibly a drain? 

1939 LZ 4 door sedan. 

DSC00353.JPG

DSC00356.JPG

DSC00355.JPG

• Like 1

My 38 LZ. sedan had those flipper windows, about the only part I never got into. Looks  quite interesting, quite dinky doo. Mine were sealed up so I left them alone. The rubber seal looked too difficult to obtain and replace. Did you find new rubbers? Would be a safe bet  that hole in gasket is  a drain, is it part of the window seal?

Yes, I purchased them from Boos and it required seaming the gasket, Made a jig to keep the ends together and glued them in place. Worked well. The hole in question is closed at the top and I am concern about it because once the upholstery is in it would be difficult to work with. The old gasket did have it opened all the way through.If it was a drain then where would the water go I never saw a drain hole. Yes I was intimidated with the installation , but once I got into it and with the help of liquid soap it slipped into the frame.

Well Done. Could drain  down inside cavity damping trim panel then on  top of wheel well, may have another drain hole lower down. Don't think they worried where it went in those days. May be you could fit a drain hose  down to under floor area. It may not leak anyway, would you have it out in the rain much though?

Thank's Colin and Shortop I believe I will leave it be and install it. Many thanks