1957 U-joint - make greaseable?

lancemb

I am rebuilding the rear end in my 75R, and replacing most perishable components.  The original U-joint does not come with a grease fitting or a hole to access it.  The replacement has a grease fitting.

Is it worth making an access hole in the torque tube to service it?  Has anyone ever done this?  There is already an access hole to service the grease fitting on the rear shaft.

I replaced mine on my 60.  I had thought to put an access hole to the newly replaced u-joint with grease fitting but did not bother.  My reasoning is the amount of miles I put on the Buick.  Maybe 2000 miles/year.    If the original lasted 35K miles(she sat a lot/grease got hard as  rock. Finally failed) my new one should do the same amount of miles  if not more.          

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

I replaced mine on my 60.  I had thought to put an access hole to the newly replaced u-joint with grease fitting but did not bother.  My reasoning is the amount of miles I put on the Buick.  Maybe 2000 miles/year.    If the original lasted 35K miles(she sat a lot) my new one should do the same if not more.          

That's kind of what I was thinking.  I have a few days to decide...

2 minutes ago, lancemb said:

That's kind of what I was thinking.  I have a few days to decide...

I also thought I could measure the outside of the tube from the access hole for the rear shaft and drill a hole by the new u-joint if necessary.  I doubt it will be necessary.    

• Like 1

I used a new joint with a grease fitting and worked it in pretty good. I am not worried.

When I called Buick service and explained my problem I asked what I could do to ensure a long life. The older gentleman at the other end said "Excuse me, I will check." After quite a long wait he returned. He said "On behalf of Buick Motor Division we are offer our condolences that you have fallen on hard times and not had the wherewithal to purchase a newer Buick in recent years. At this time we cannot assist you, however we appreciate your choice of Buick in the past. Please feel free to stop into any of our dealerships and see the fine vehicles we are building since your last visit."

RR7.thumb.jpg.20949dfd5bf12b01b32ab4efb41ddbe2.jpg

RR6.thumb.jpg.0e0844c6a0338edba3a2fff24d773e76.jpg

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

The local driveshaft guru where I live swears by the upper-line of Neapco u-joints. They are non-greasable, and according to him last far longer than the greasable equivalents. Not sure if there's one to fit your Buick, but it might be worth looking into if you are concerned about not being able to grease it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bloo said:

The local driveshaft guru where I live swears by the upper-line of Neapco u-joints. They are non-greasable, and according to him last far longer than the greasable equivalents. Not sure if there's one to fit your Buick, but it might be worth looking into if you are concerned about not being able to grease it.

That is all that I use for any car.  Seems that there is always one arm that will not take grease or maybe there is a grease incompatibility.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 9:39 PM, avgwarhawk said:

Yours looks better than my u-joint.  The needle bearings in mine were a fine graphite like dust. 

My symptom was a very small "squeak, squeak, squeak" at low speeds like in a parking lot. I couldn't pinpoint it with the car raised and the wheels rotating in gear. But it was 2011 and I had given myself a big bonus that year, so I did exploratory surgery, that little dry cup ended up in about $4,000 of collateral work by my nephew and I. And my wife still got her new living room.

Around that time there was a member of the Forum who had a broken u-joint and a twisted tailshaft. His problem was separating the torque tube and transmission.

Bernie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

My symptom was a very small "squeak, squeak, squeak" at low speeds like in a parking lot. I couldn't pinpoint it with the car raised and the wheels rotating in gear. But it was 2011 and I had given myself a big bonus that year, so I did exploratory surgery, that little dry cup ended up in about $4,000 of collateral work by my nephew and I. And my wife still got her new living room.

Around that time there was a member of the Forum who had a broken u-joint and a twisted tailshaft. His problem was separating the torque tube and transmission.

Bernie

It was your post about the squeak you posted a while back that had drawn my attention to my squeak.  Mine started the squeak in reverse only.  Then a vibrating rumble up to 40 mph.  Then all the time.  Honestly, the needle bearings in one cup were completely gone to dust.        

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)