Fender fun.

SC38dls

The other day I took the beast to the grocery and parked at the far end of the lot. When I came out a fellow was looking at my right rear fender. I hobbled up to him ( I’ve got braces on both legs from football injuries) and saw he was checking out new dents in the fender. He told me a pickup had pulled out as he was putting groceries in his car and he heard it hit the fender. Then the truck took off and he didn’t get the license but it was a jacked up white Ford. So I’ve spent some time with the hammer and dollies.  A long way to go before I get to sand prime and paint but it is at least beginning to look better. 

A0195D1C-CE43-4288-80C1-01C88AA2A913.jpeg

59C06413-11B3-4A0A-8B5C-C413233C61D2.jpeg

• Like 1

I will never take any of my antique cars to a shopping center, in fact if I take my new car, I stay with it and my wife goes into the store. All because I witnessed one heck of a accident about 20 years ago. This elderly lady came out of the market and loaded her groceries into her trunk. She then proceeded to place the cart between her car and the one on her passenger side. As she backed up and cut her wheels she hooked the grocery cart and dragged it along the entire side of the adjoining car. She pulled away with the cart attached to her front fender. I stayed and waited until the owner came out and gave her the license plate of the lady that did all the damage. The funny part is that when the police tracked her down, she also damaged her garage trying to fit the car in with the shopping cart still attached.

• Like 2

I have to say I was a little ticked off. It is turning out to be fun in some ways. I’ve never done the hammer & dolly thing before. When I was working the high side it popped out which surprised the heck out of me. I’m amazed what a little bit of patience and not using to much force can do.  That’s really hard for a 250 lb guy that loved hitting a quarterback or halfback at full speed back in the day it was legal to crush them. my wife is amazed I haven’t just wacked  the heck out of it.  
Gentle tapping is making it smooth so it is just going to take time. 
dls

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well, JamesR, if it helps any, I am also in the self-inflicted camp. Ever noticed all the dings and dents some otherwise pristine, low-mileage old man's car has ? I am older than my almost 76 years of age. Doctors pretty much agree I am physically about 90. And yup : I've done serious denting recently. I am building up the courage to sharing with my friends here, almost ready. But though you guys won't like it, I know that a lot of moral and practical support awaits me. And that helps. A lot. And certainly the fact that I myself did the damage helps. I would be enraged if someone else had hit me, but torturing myself over this would be psychologically unhealthy.

I hope they find that jacked up white Ford pickup truck. And I will start a new topic regarding my own dilemma soon. My friend Jim and his brother Mark were in the car with me when I banged it. Jim called me this morning to tell me Mark just died of the Chi-com crown virus. Jim took care of his brother until the very end.  Obviously he caught the virus too. At 73, Jim seems to be doing better. Fever is down. He may pull out of it and develop some degree of immunity. I have strongly recommended to Jim that he joins us here. We are all such good forum friends, and though Jim and Mark were incredibly close and irreplaceable to one another , you really can't have too many friends. Jim does concours quality instrument repair, he did all the instrument work on Danny's latest Cord restoration. He got pneumonia this Winter working on his 1928 LaSalle sedan in the cold of his carport. That analyst friend of mine, Dr. Diagnosis who occasionally weighs in here, tells me psychological health requires keeping things in perspective.    With love,  -   Carl 

Hmmmm, thought I would edit pictures in. Somehow I couldn't get pictures which really do justice to Jim's expertise. But you get the idea

C5C93650-BB7E-47D9-B16E-487D09BF9951.jpeg

B53BE5FC-F385-4AD6-9747-E4CD909F0068.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Add pictures (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Carl, I’m sorry about your friend Mark, my dent doesn’t come close to that kind of hurt and damage. 
I actually enjoying working on it and seeing the improvement even if it will never be the same original fender and/or paint anymore. it is just good to get my head away from all the craziness going on. Stay safe and make the repairs a good thing. 
dave s 

7 minutes ago, C Carl said:

Well, JamesR, if it helps any, I am also in the self-inflicted camp. Ever noticed all the dings and dents some otherwise pristine, low-mileage old man's car has ? I am older than my almost 76 years of age. Doctors pretty much agree I am physically about 90. And yup : I've done serious denting recently. I am building up the courage to sharing with my friends here, almost ready. But though you guys won't like it, I know that a lot of moral and practical support awaits me. And that helps. A lot. And certainly the fact that I myself did the damage helps. I would be enraged if someone else had hit me, but torturing myself over this would be psychologically unhealthy.

I hope they find that jacked up white Ford pickup truck. And I will start a new topic regarding my own dilemma soon. My friend Jim and his brother Mark were in the car with me when I banged it. Jim called me this morning to tell me Mark just died of the Chi-com crown virus. Jim took care of his brother until the very end.  Obviously he caught the virus too. At 73, Jim seems to be doing better. Fever is down. He may pull out of it and develop some degree of immunity. I have strongly recommended to Jim that he joins us here. We are all such good forum friends, and though Jim and Mark were incredibly close and irreplaceable to one another , you really can't have too many friends. Jim does concours quality instrument repair, he did all the instrument work on Danny's latest Cord restoration. He got pneumonia this Winter working on his 1928 LaSalle sedan in the cold of his carport. That analyst friend of mine, Dr. Diagnosis who occasionally weighs in here, tells me psychological health requires keeping things in perspective.    With love,  -   Carl 

Many condolences over the loss of your friend's brother. I know that's difficult, especially when we are all facing an uncertain future regarding this terrible pandemic. A friend's sister-in-law recently lost a brother to the virus, and he was in his fifties, so age isn't the only factor by a long shot. Stay healthy!

My dad started putting some dents in his cars when he was in his eighties, but he lived to 98 and had many good years ahead of him after the fact. Even if your driving becomes a little more restricted you can still enjoy the old cars to a great degree. I put a (somewhat inconspicuous) crease in my '54 Ford while pulling my '55 Chrysler out of the storage unit several years ago. I was in my mid fifties at the time, so I had no excuse 😄.  I've left the dent in the car because 1) it would've been expensive to fix and, more importantly 2) it means I now worry much less about keeping the car perfect or about suffering insignificant damage. That's the psychological benefit, though I did beat myself up for a while. After the damage I realized that I didn't worry about the dings that happened before I bought the car so there's no need to worry so much about the ones I put in the car. 😉

Thank you very much, Dave, and James. I spend hours every day sitting in with all you wonderful people. Haven't really had much energy to contribute lately, though. Frantically and successfully trying to "dump the Seattle dump" before the walls cave in, both figuratively and literally. Now I can move out to my little "mini ranch" to live in peace. I had just emailed the good news to Jim yesterday that the down payment was coming out of escrow. I do hope when Jim is ready, he will feel the warmth and comfort of the AACA forum universe. Please don't anybody minimize the danger from this pandemic. There is so much we don't know. Now there is mounting evidence that the monster is more air transmissable than thought. I had to go out to the FedEx copy center Friday afternoon to fill out and return escrow instructions. Filled my gas tank since the el-cheapo gas station is next to FedEx. I was the ONLY one taking recommended safety precautions at the pump. We are in for some terrible tough times.   -    Carl