Great day for a car ride in the country

Brass is Best

Posted (edited)

Speaking of a ride in the country:   June 19th was "National Drive your Early Ford V8 Day" and we did.

In our area there are few stock early Ford V8's, and I called them all for a ride up the Cullsaja River towards Highland, NC., to the Ford Barn.

We found the Ford Barn on Peeks Creek and took this group picture.  Followed by a tour to Franklin and the Motor Company Grill for a late lunch.   Only one STOP on the way as for a Barn Sale where we bought a few tools then followed the river to Franklin.  We had a 34 Fordor, a 35 Fordor, a 36 Tudor, a 49 F-100 and a 49 Lincoln Cosmopolitan, all lined up in front of the Ford Barn.31261382_IMG_18501.JPG.998f356638897ba923f81f6c9f767850.JPG

Edited by Paul Dobbin
corrections (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Hit the hills in NW CT yesterday, 50 or so miles in our 30 A roadster.  Brakes, front end, steering box, springs and shocks, along with clutch and motor mounts all done last year, some tweaking after some rides close to home done, so it was time to test it all out a bit further from home.  We are really pleased!!  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That is a neat Willys.  I read somewhere that military spec had the tire mounted on the back as opposed to the sides. This way the vehicle could be easily rolled to either side if bottom work needed to be done? Sounded kinda crazy to me, anyone know if thats true?

9 hours ago, TAKerry said:

That is a neat Willys.  I read somewhere that military spec had the tire mounted on the back as opposed to the sides. This way the vehicle could be easily rolled to either side if bottom work needed to be done? Sounded kinda crazy to me, anyone know if thats true?

Military Jeeps or MB jeeps had no tailgate and a rear mounted spare. They were kept narrow to go through tight places. When the Civilian Jeep or CJ was given a tailgate the spare was moved to the side. Life expectancy for a Jeep in combat was 14 days. So servicing the chassis was probably not the first priority. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

WE had the 1951 Willys-Overland Jeep CJ-3A out for a ride the other day. 

I like your taste. You probably have one of the best looking UTV's I've seen yet. That deep red looks much better than the Viper red that came on my 90'.

• Like 1