Pete Phillips

National meet--postpone, cancel, or no change?

Recommended Posts

Well, I"ll start the discussion if no one else will. I'd like to see some opinions on whether the Buick Club of America should:

 

1. Proceed with the national meet on July 15-18 in Ohio as scheduled?

2. Reschedule it to the last weekend in August or first weekend in September (host hotel is available then)

3. Cancel it due to health concerns and not hold a national meet this year.

 

Next year's meet is in Charlotte, N.C., so if cancelled completely, it will not be back in Cleveland, OH. in the foreseeable future.

 

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Benefits of AACA Membership.

While I would hope we'll be ok by July, September weather is way better.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Pete Phillips said:

....2. Reschedule it to the last weekend in August or first weekend in September (host hotel is available then)

 

JMHO...don't shoot!

As of now, I personally believe July might be a little too optimistic.  But, either late August or early September would be great if all associated processes typically needed to pull off a National Meet could be worked out.  I do understand and appreciate that even in the best of times, coordinating a National Meet is very involved in of itself. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The virus will still be around.  Until there is a vaccine or other preventive, there will be spread.  I will not participate until then.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a former BOD member I have had some calls from members stating their similar concerns. They had assumed that I was still on the BOD.

I am in agreement with Pete about a postponement to the available later dates he mentioned. 

Also in agreement with dship and old-tank and their concerns.

 Pray everyone stays healthy and unaffected.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Proceed.  While it's true enough that the attendees are disproportionately in the at-risk demographic, at some point sanity must prevail.  Let us be optimistic that day will come sooner rather than later.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

 

40 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

Proceed.  While it's true enough that the attendees are disproportionately in the at-risk demographic, at some point sanity must prevail.  

 

Wow! This statement clearly lacks the mentioned sanity. I for one am not prepared to say "scr*w you" to our older, wiser (sometimes😉) members for the rest of our convenience. 

While I fully agree with being optimistic, hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I would rather see a postponement than cancellation if that’s necessary.Gary

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

Wow! This statement clearly lacks the mentioned sanity. I for one am not prepared to say "scr*w you" to our older, wiser (sometimes😉) members for the rest of our convenience. 

While I fully agree with being optimistic, hope for the best, plan for the worst.

There's a lot of sanity in that.  July 15 is 3-1/2 months away.  If we're shut down for that long -- if it is still deemed unsafe to hold the meet at that time -- then you might reasonably posit that things will still be sideways 6 weeks later in September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

Wow! This statement clearly lacks the mentioned sanity. I for one am not prepared to say "scr*w you" to our older, wiser (sometimes😉) members for the rest of our convenience. 

While I fully agree with being optimistic, hope for the best, plan for the worst.

 

Thanks Matt, but it's not just "older" people who are susceptible.   Cancel!  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JohnD1956 said:

 

Thanks Matt, but it's not just "older" people who are susceptible.   Cancel!  

That's true.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have already cancelled my hotel reservations as of about 2 weeks ago.  I could see this coming.  I am probably the typical "young" BCA member at the age of 62, read that as many are older than I am.  I have a co-morbidity (diabetes in my case) so I am at extra risk.  Would you attend if you were me?  I chose not to do so.  Also helps that my wife's birthday is that weekend too...

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Events like this takes months to pull together, those doing this need to know now if this is going to happen and/or when. There's dollars and cents involved in preparing for something like this and a potential for loss of those dollars if the plug is pulled at the last minute. But the main issue here is lives. Who wants to gamble on that?   When lives are at stake, better safe than seeing one friend or one of their loved ones taken by this deadly virus when it could have been prevented. The only right thing to do, Cancel. 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Speaking for myself, and NOT AS A BOARD MEMBER. This whole corona virus pandemic is serious stuff.  I have been reading a lot of information on it and the comparisons to the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic.  If I remember the length of time the Spanish flu to run it's course through most of the population was about 24 weeks.  This number has been talked about for the corona virus, basically 6 months. That would mean it will possibly last until Labor Day.  I hope I am wrong and it is done sooner.  


The second number that I have been seeing somewhat regularly is that it is expected that 70-90% of the population will eventually get the virus unless a vaccine is developed.  The reason I say this because of all of the talk about "flattening the curve".  The curve is the number of persons that get the virus.  That will probably not change without a vaccine.  A couple of scenarios that could happen is a large number of the population get the virus quickly and you have a very steep bell curve. A steep curve would totally overwhelm the medical resources in this country.  There is already a lot of stress in the system.  More people would die for lack of available medical treatment.  The second option is to flatten the number of persons that have the virus at any one time and keep that number less than the medical resources.  That is "flattening the curve". This is what the medical officials are trying to do.   You still have the same number of sick persons, but just a continuous manageable number.  And we have the best health care in the world.

 

The state of Michigan has been soliciting anyone that has a medical license to help. As a licensed EMT, I have been getting numerous requests from the state, county and others. I feel I am unable to go because at my age as I am an at risk person for this disease even though I am in good health. 

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/coronavirus/state-seeks-doctors-nurses-others-staff-field-hospital-tcf-center?utm_source=morning-newsletter-tuesday&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200331&utm_content=article2-headline

 

Here are a couple of good videos that you might want to watch.

 

https://www.spectrumhealth.org/covid19

 

This one has some good data information on how contagious the virus is.  Especially look at the bell curve graph and the dates at the bottom.  The graphs are at 2:00 & 2:30 minutes.

 

I hope this dissipates quickly and we can go on with our lives, but only time will tell. September might not be late enough for the meet.

 

The decision for the meet falls on the meet committee and the board. 

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the location and hotels are available in Sept. ,now would be the time to change than at a later date. Which could mean a cancel for the year .There is a lot of work that goes into planing with lots of people .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ROA, Riviera Owners, already cancelled their meet in June.  No good answer with all the uncertainty and actually no bad ones today.  I have already seen one of my daughter's summer programs cancelled and another on hold for a month. I've faced similar situations with having to cancel large events due to weather related issues and having thousands disappointed. For me decision time was as soon as we could determine there was no alternative.  I don't know when the hotels need a commitment for Sept, but that would be the decision deadline unless it was determined prior to cancel for 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lotta freaking out going on.  Folks tend to forget that worst-case projections are only projections. and that there are experienced and qualified people who suggest that the virus may not be as contagious and/or as virulent as the apocalyptical scenarios would have you believe.  As more testing is done and more reliable data is gathered, the picture will come into sharper focus.  Until then, there's no reason to reflexively believe that what might happen is what will happen.  Decisions must be informed by reason rather than fear.  The consequences of overreaction can be as bad or worse than the damage caused by the disease itself.

 

In the meantime, go work on your cars.  You got nothing else to do.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please note the The National Meet Committee and the host Chapter running the Strongsville National Meet are following the situation closely. There are a lot factors involved with the decision to go on with the meet, to cancel it outright or to postpone it. All these factors are being weighed , but all must realize that this is a very fluid situation. The facts as I see them at the moment are: that this is a VERY contagious disease. It can and has killed people. Most Governors are restricting travel and gatherings. Many people have lost jobs and income, as well as net worth . All the factors come in to play, when you are making decisions that affect our membership. No decision will be made lightly. We are very fortunate to have very talented people one the National  Meet Committee and on the BOD. A decision will be made when the time to do so becomes obvious. 

Jack Welch National

Meet Committee Chairman.

Secretary BCA

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a past meet chairman I have to side with Jack however a date within the next couple of week to decide to postpone or cancel  I know all of the hard work and the fixed costs are spent. Make a decision in the next 2 weeks. At this point in time I think we should cancel. If shirts and awards are done the money is already spent so in my opinion NMC needs to start looking  for a way to market shirts etc. Hotel contracts if we have a cancel contract cancel In the next week or so but whatever the club just needs to cut costs to the bone

This virus will continue to kill so it is what it is. Salvage what we can and move on.

WASH YOUR HANDS AND FIGHT ANOTHER DAY

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Speaking for myself, and NOT AS A BOARD MEMBER. This whole corona virus pandemic is serious stuff.  I have been reading a lot of information on it and the comparisons to the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic.  If I remember the length of time the Spanish flu to run it's course through most of the population was about 24 weeks.  This number has been talked about for the corona virus, basically 6 months. That would mean it will possibly last until Labor Day.  I hope I am wrong and it is done sooner.  

 

Don't believe they worked as hard on 'flattening the curve' back in 1918.  With flattening the curve, the 24 weeks of 1918 will be 48+ in 2020.  If, the two track at all similar.

 

2020 is a scratch for me for any car tour or meet unless they find a silver bullet and even that will take months to test, produce and deliver so still a scratch.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say move forward, even if later date.  No lives will be gambled against anybody's will.  It might be lightly attended, but low club revenue is better than none.

 

We very well may see this thing largely die off over the summer.  Postponing it will give a little time to see how it goes, at the least.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cancel !   There is so much planning and cost for a 'maybe' event.

Then if lightly attended it would be a big loss.

Lets wait till its safe, and that wont be known until a couiple of safe months after this ends.

So next year.....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The question I have (probably for Pete), is how much planning and cost has already been incurred?  My guess would be a lot.  All of this is a "sunk" cost, such that it won't be recovered anyway.  If the incremental cost is rather low, probably worth trying to have it a couple months later.  It can always be cancelled later, if a "point of no return" date is identified in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr. Fisher, you, Larry Schramm, and Chuck Kerls are the only voices of reason and sanity on here.  It's just a blasted car show for cryin' out loud.  Evidently some people are willing to trade their lives for a stinkin' plastic trophy.  As that old saying goes - Stupid Just Cannot Be Fixed.

 

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I understand that we are just talking out loud and the real decision is and should be by the BOD and the local chapter.

But I have to ask if anyone has considered canceling this year and bumping everything back by one year?

 

That would make 2021 National Meet in Cleveland, 2022 in Charlotte, NC etc.

I totally understand the logistics involved in making those changes for the 2021 and 2022 meets since they are already in the works. And the amount of work the 2020 Cleveland NEO BCA Chapter would have to complete would be monumental, but I would think the $$ losses would be minimal if deposits made can be maintained, trophies can be used, etc. ..... and having another year to finalize the details should make changes easier to be accomplished.

Not to mention that the Charlotte committee would have tons of work to do also.

I realize that to make this work, a lot of details would have to fall into place and luck would have to be on our side. The membership wouldn't miss out on the great meet that is planned by the NEO chapter and especially those planning to participate can still look forward to the meet....just a year later.

 

So before you totally trash my idea, please think about it for a short time. 

Edited by wmsue (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now