What a tire company recommends that you bring

m-mman

A map of Ohio offered by B.F.Goodrich.  Look at their recommendations for the tire supplies that you should bring on your trip. 

Rather complete, guess they were just being honest. 

Cant imagine a tire maker discussing repairs like this today. 

tire map 4.jpg

tire map 2.jpg

tire map 3.jpg

tire map 1.jpg

2 hours ago, m-mman said:

Rather complete, guess they were just being honest. 

We certainly do not get honesty these days.  I have traveled with most of those things and have not needed most of them when on a long trip.  Had one bad summer with several flats in town  Old tires that cracked on the inside and pinched tubes on cornering.  New tires solved the problem.

I can remember when my Father-In-Law helped me with my first car in the mid eighties. He was an elderly farmer who would deliver eggs from Hudson to Hillsdale, NY in the forties using a Model A pick-up, a distance of about 20 miles. He told me he would always make sure he had three spare tires for the trip that he made three times a week. One for the trip to Hillsdale, one for the trip back, and one just in case... Now we can go thousands of miles an may never need the spare.

Frank

• Like 1

We need to remember, that way back then, the cars had to share the road with horses. Horseshoe nails were a common road hazard back then and they always seem to find rubber tires.

• Like 1

I don't see a date on the brochure but the Operation and Care Manual for a 1931 Chevrolet gives detailed instructions for mounting a tire in the shop, roadside on the car or on the spare while mounted on the rear of the car. How many of us would attempt such a task? 

20200404_090605.jpg

20200404_090428.jpg

• Like 1

Pontiac recommends the spare mount for drop center wire wheels.  I think it would be a lot easier than changing a tire on the ground.