Series 50 or series 70

51BuickWoody

I've got a 51 Woody. I have conflicting evidence on what engine I have. The oil pump shaft and engine cast number suggest I have the series 50. However, the crankshaft bearings have a hole for oil distribution. The manual says that the series 70 has a hole in the bearing and the series 50 has a slot for oil. The manual suggest that the bearings on the series 40 & 50 are the same size but the series 70 is larger. Can anybody offer any help? The engine casting # is 63034055

Edit: 

Thanks for all the help. For years my father believed that it was the Model 70. But I believe we have the Model 50. The engine number behind the distributor is 1343404. The fender has 3 ports. I'll add more photos later.

20200315_124200.jpg

20200315_113135.jpg

Edited by 51BuickWoody
Adding info (see edit history)

I see you have not received an answer. I will try with the limited information. 

In your first post you say you have a Roadmaster.  If so, unless some did something unusual,  you have a 320 CI  engine that came in all series 70 , or Roadmasters.   The Super had a 263 CI engine.

You posted a "casting" number.  Needed is the  Engine seriel number STAMPED on a machined surface just behind the distributor.

A quick  tell is the crankcase ventilation intake on the driver side of the engine. The 320 , Roadmaster engine, has this intake, about 1 1/2"  x 2   1/5" located at the front near the generator mount.   Super, 263, it is near the back of the engine.

Pictures?

Ben

• Like 1

Heh, lookie. there goes Ben, chasing another rabbit.................

Woody, Ben is good, but we can't read minds and we can't run over to your garage and look, so...................................

PLEASE post a picture and a WHOLE LOT more info, if you really want our help.

Mike in Colorado

• Haha 2

On 3/29/2020 at 7:34 AM, 51BuickWoody said:

Edit: 

Thanks for all the help. For years my father believed that it was the Model 70. But I believe we have the Model 50. The engine number behind the distributor is 1343404. The fender has 3 ports. I'll add more photos later.

4 ports = Roadmaster = 320 cu

3 ports = special - super = 248/263

Your engine serial number 1343404 does not match the known sequences.  Stamping if some times not clear  [1=7?]

Look here https://www.teambuick.com/reference/ident_engine_til_52.php

And here for head length https://forums.aaca.org/topic/235514-248-vs-320/

Edit

What you list as casting number 6303405 5 matches 1951 series 50 engine serial number

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

19 hours ago, 51BuickWoody said:

Super 50. Would have been nice to have the 70. I live in San Diego at the top of a 4 mile long hill. I was worried about it going up and down the hill. When my dad was driving it in the 70's he said it had plenty of power. 

If it is running half way right it will have NO problem.  

Ben

• Like 1

Our tranny was rebuilt a few years ago. The engine has good compression. I AM still trying to figure out why the crankshaft bearings have a hole for oil distribution when the book and all other evidence says it should have a slit in the middle. I'll add photos another day. Covid-19 has me keeping my distance from my father. The car is at his house. 

On 4/6/2020 at 8:18 PM, Mark Simmons said:

And if it's running half way left it will be a problem.......lol

... and if it running half-fast,

it could be a problem

• Haha 1

Most assuredly a 1951 263 engine from a Super, 50 series. The '51 50 series Dynaflow engine numbers began with 6,240,564   5.  

1952 began with 6, 646,230  5. The final numeral separated from the seven digit number by a space is the series designation.  I am unsure why your manual indicates what it does. My 1950 Shop Manual does not. That bearing looks just like all I have seen.

Ben

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mark Simmons said:

I remember reading some years back the difference between the 320 and 263 motors was the cc venting on the left side of the block the 320 was towards the front and the 263 towards the rear.....????

Yes.  263 and 248 at the rear.  On the drivers side    .   Even without the engine number to check, the placement of the number tells us this is a small [ 248/263 ] engine since it is in front of the distributor.  320 is behind.

Ben

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 51BuickWoody said:

$270 for new crankshaft bearings. Is it worth it? We don't plan on "showing" the car and really it's just gonna be a Sunday driver for my dad and I. We're on a pretty tight budget.

Been where you’re at a few times!

I believe you’ve answered your own question, tho.....

”Driver” being the operative word.  
Consider forgoing Or delaying cosmetic, bling, or comfort related items at this point.

And spend tight dollars on driver related necessities.  Your crank is exposed and you are so very close to 

a well executed ring and bearing job if the bores are in reasonably good shape.  Maybe clean up the head and 

check for any questionable valves and seats.   Worst case.....maybe a valve job.
In the old car world.......not a lot of tight budget dollars to breathe “driver” life back into the car.

Why was the engine out to begin with? A problem? Or a desire to restore?  

As long as it is already out it makes sense to take care of the bottom end.  It may save you from having to pull it again.  BUT,  can you just change the bearings without addressing the finish on the lobes of the crankshaft?  Ben is right about using plastigauge to check the clearances.  But if the engine was pulled because of a problem ( maybe a rod knock?)  then there is no point in putting it back in without addressing that issue.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/29/2020 at 8:12 PM, 51BuickWoody said:

A few more photos. Covid has really slowed us down. We built a sand blasting booth and have been blasting the front end. We have the disc brake conversion kit. Gonna paint the front end 1st, reattach it to the chasis, then put the disc brakes on. 

20200926_091718.jpg

20200921_153122.jpg

20200912_130735.jpg

20200906_121403.jpg

On 9/29/2020 at 8:12 PM, 51BuickWoody said:

A few more photos. Covid has really slowed us down. We built a sand blasting booth and have been blasting the front end. We have the disc brake conversion kit. Gonna paint the front end 1st, reattach it to the chasis, then put the disc brakes on. 

20200926_091718.jpg

20200921_153122.jpg

20200912_130735.jpg

20200906_121403.jpg

20201025_082454.jpg