1928 Buick Standard Six

Rod Miles

Ready for the re-build of my 1928 Buick straight six standard.  A clear stamp is on the crankshaft gear for lining up with the cam gear.  However the cam gear's marking is not evident.  Advice on properly lining these up with-out the second gear stamp for timing purposes?

Thanks,

Rod Miles Member Number 48784

Any time I disassemble an engine, clutch, transmission or differential I always punch mark everything.  Factory marks are great provided you know how they correspond to each other and someone has not been there before you an messed something up.  After eighty, ninety or more years who knows what may have been done by someone who thought they knew better than the factory.

Rod, 

Here is some information for you to review.  Timing gear marks were quite confusing when I went thru my engine.  If what you are looking for is not here, please respond back.    Hugh

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/333145-1925-buick-master-timing-gear-change/?tab=comments#comment-1930136

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

Any time I disassemble an engine, clutch, transmission or differential I always punch mark everything.  Factory marks are great provided you know how they correspond to each other and someone has not been there before you an messed something up.  After eighty, ninety or more years who knows what may have been done by someone who thought they knew better than the factory.

11 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

I haven’t looked at the Buick shop manual recently, but the cad’s of the vintage has the procedure for aligning everything, though from memory its a bit of a choose your own adventure where you have to find the first component then at the end it will tell you what to do next

• 2 weeks later...

If it has the fiber timing gear the mark can be hard to find. It should be an "0" stamped by the tooth if I remember correctly.

If no luck put the crank at TDC and find the spot where either 1 or 6 is just closing the exhaust and starting to open the intake.  ( with the gear all the way in so the bevel is correct)

Hope this helps🛠️