1966 Riviera Paint Code Help

sjbB112

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum, and having read through a bunch of different topics I decided to join. Myself and my two brothers are in the process of restoring a 1966 Riviera as a surprise gift for my father. The body tag indicates that this is a paint code B car, Riviera Gunmetal. However, I can not find a single photo anywhere of that color on a 66 Riviera. I was wondering if anyone had access to any pictures, or maybe have a 66 in that color. At this point, I am assuming it was a rarer color option for the year. The color does show on the bottom of the truck lid. 

We've been fortunate to score the car (which has been mostly unmolested) for $3k, and we just got the ol' 425 fired up last weekend and she runs beautifully. 

Lastly, it looks like one of the major things we may need, but are having trouble finding, are new front and rear bumpers, while we can rework them, they are slightly rough. Any suggestions?

Thank you to anyone for the help! 

IMG_4937.jpg

IMG_4939.jpg

91030711_575649053039053_5935855308009111552_n.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, thanks for the reminder Mr. Ed.

I just renewed. I guess my renewal card got trashed while I was on the road.

I wish they'd find my ROA # from the 80's.

Hey sjbJ112 - I got a free and decent driver grill if you become a ROA member!

Congratulations Sjbb112 (might want to rename that), Riviera Gunmetal is a great color and seldom seen. Its a blue gunmetal that is black in some light, navy blue in others. It is not particularly a rare color, yet it is the lowest run of the "Riviera" specific colors that year. A bit under 3000 produced in 66. When you join you will access to statistics and intel like this. 

Your probably going to want to buy a 1966 Buick paint book to see the paint chip and get multiple example to compare to your trunk and get a color that is accurate that you like for restoration. 

1 hour ago, PWB said:

Do you happen to remember when you first joined?  Like down to the month?

Interestingly I have just finished painting my ' 66 GS back to its original B code gun metal gray in a frame  on restoration  I am hopefully  getting the car in the next couple of days from the paint shop and I will be glad to send you some pictures. My car was at some point painted black laquer in a Texas dust storm! I had it taken back to bare metal during this repaint . I can tell you that when I had the paint shop spray out a card for me , it was absolutely a surprise . I loved it! As mentioned above , it's a very subtle blue hue  that pops in the  sunlight ! . There is "nothing " gray about it . I highly recommend it . Picture to follow soon .

KReed

ROA 14549

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kreed said:

Interestingly I have just finished painting my ' 66 GS back to its original B code gun metal gray in a frame  on restoration  I am hopefully  getting the car in the next couple of days from the paint shop and I will be glad to send you some pictures. My car was at some point painted black laquer in a Texas dust storm! I had it taken back to bare metal during this repaint . I can tell you that when I had the paint shop spray out a card for me , it was absolutely a surprise . I loved it! As mentioned above , it's a very subtle blue hue  that pops in the  sunlight ! . There is "nothing " gray about it . I highly recommend it . Picture to follow soon .

KReed

ROA 14549

Hi Ken,

Do you remember us looking at this car and me reassuring you to return the car to Gunmetal? One of the best colors IMO but I definitely perceive the color as being a blue/gray-silver depending on lighting. If the color "popped" in the sunlight there is a heavy dose of metallic in the mix which will change the hue toward gray/silver at certain angles in certain lighting conditions. Looking forward to seeing it!

Tom

@sjbB112 check the spare tire well. If it hasn't been repainted it should be painted the original color.

You also might pull off the door panels and find the original color on the inner door body. 

Join the Riviera Owners Association. You will be glad you did. 

• Like 1

Hi Tom - yes I absolutely remember you telling me I would over the color and I do ! I have never seen it before . I have to put it all back together now as it is scattered  out all over my garage floor and may be calling you soon as I seem to always have "nuts and bolts  and little pieces " left over . 😃Waiting on replating Of my bumpers now .

KReed

ROA 14549

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PWB said:

Based on the recommendation of many of you, I submitted my information to become a member of the ROA this morning! Thank you all for the help, I can already tell this is a passionate and extremely informative group.

A little about myself! My name is Steve (I'll work on creating an easier username), and I've had a passion for cars and drag racing since as long as I can remember, currently 27, I started racing locally at 17 and have been fortunate enough to claim many wins, and championships in my 79 Camaro dragcar. 

This whole project is something my brothers and I have decided to do to give back to my father, who fueled all of our love for cars. In the 60s and 70s, my father was a huge Pontiac and Buick fanatic, racing Pontiac's at the same track I now called home. Initially, we were looking to recreate one of those cars for him. However, my mother brought up how in the 60s, my father absolutely loved the Riviera, but being they had a young child (my oldest brother) and we're attempting to make ends meet, it was a car he could never afford in those days. With her advice, we completely switched gears to located a 66 or 67 Riv (the years he always wanted). Oddly enough, just 20 minutes down the road a gentleman was selling the car we now have. The car is a 66, and is for the most part, completely unmolested. The drivetrain is all original with roughly 80,000 miles, the only updates being a Holley 650 carb, and a newer exhaust. 

Our plans for this car is to keep it as original as possible, while also adding some small upgrades for safety etc., such as front disc brake conversion, most likely switching to an HEI style distributor with an external coil to keep the original look. 

Currently the car is in our shop getting the necessary body work. The original 425 fired right up with fresh plugs, points, oil and fuel, and runs like a peach! A bore scope and compression test showed a very clean motor, checking out in all aspects that we would hope. The motor will still be pulled, cleaned up, repainted, and resealed as well as a complete cleaning and painting of the engine bay.

In regards to the compression test, cylinder 5 and 6 (adjacent from one another) showed slightly lower than all the rest. all were around 155-160, those two were in the 130 range. When speaking to my engine builder, he said because the car was sitting, its possible with how it sat, they valve seats developed a little rust that will need to wear down, and not to be concerned. Just wanted to confirm that this is probably nothing to be overly worried about. The motor ran great and showed no signs of issues, no smoke, no noise etc. 

We will be keeping the car the original color, Riviera Gunmetal, fortunately one of my brothers is a painter!

We are extremely excited about this project, and can't wait to give my father his dream car.

Once again, thank you to all who have replied, we truly appreciate your generosity and help! 

Edited by sjbB112 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, sjbB112 said:

Based on the recommendation of many of you, I submitted my information to become a member of the ROA this morning! Thank you all for the help, I can already tell this is a passionate and extremely informative group.

A little about myself! My name is Steve (I'll work on creating an easier username), and I've had a passion for cars and drag racing since as long as I can remember, currently 27, I started racing locally at 17 and have been fortunate enough to claim many wins, and championships in my 79 Camaro dragcar. 

This whole project is something my brothers and I have decided to do to give back to my father, who fueled all of our love for cars. In the 60s and 70s, my father was a huge Pontiac and Buick fanatic, racing Pontiac's at the same track I now called home. Initially, we were looking to recreate one of those cars for him. However, my mother brought up how in the 60s, my father absolutely loved the Riviera, but being they had a young child (my oldest brother) and we're attempting to make ends meet, it was a car he could never afford in those days. With her advice, we completely switched gears to located a 66 or 67 Riv (the years he always wanted). Oddly enough, just 20 minutes down the road a gentleman was selling the car we now have. The car is a 66, and is for the most part, completely unmolested. The drivetrain is all original with roughly 80,000 miles, the only updates being a Holley 650 carb, and a newer exhaust. 

Our plans for this car is to keep it as original as possible, while also adding some small upgrades for safety etc., such as front disc brake conversion, most likely switching to an HEI style distributor with an external coil to keep the original look. 

Currently the car is in our shop getting the necessary body work. The original 425 fired right up with fresh plugs, points, oil and fuel, and runs like a peach! A bore scope and compression test showed a very clean motor, checking out in all aspects that we would hope. The motor will still be pulled, cleaned up, repainted, and resealed as well as a complete cleaning and painting of the engine bay.

In regards to the compression test, cylinder 5 and 6 (adjacent from one another) showed slightly lower than all the rest. all were around 155-160, those two were in the 130 range. When speaking to my engine builder, he said because the car was sitting, its possible with how it sat, they valve seats developed a little rust that will need to wear down, and not to be concerned. Just wanted to confirm that this is probably nothing to be overly worried about. The motor ran great and showed no signs of issues, no smoke, no noise etc. 

We will be keeping the car the original color, Riviera Gunmetal, fortunately one of my brothers is a painter!

We are extremely excited about this project, and can't wait to give my father his dream car.

Once again, thank you to all who have replied, we truly appreciate your generosity and help! 

Welcome, and what a cool thing to do for your dad. Keep the photos coming . I’m sure many here would like to follow along.

Brian

30 minutes ago, 71GS said:

Welcome, and what a cool thing to do for your dad. Keep the photos coming . I’m sure many here would like to follow along.

Brian

Thank you! After everything he has done for us, it is long over do, and he deserves it! I'm considering creating a post to create updates and progress along the way, especially if others would also be interested in following along!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Gunmetal was my 2nd choice in painting my car behind Shadow turquoise. Here is a very Original Gunmetal 66GS at Gettysburg.  

Gorgeous! Yeah, GUNMETAL sounds cool enough, but with Rivieras, looks even better. Thanks for the picture Jason!

16 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Gunmetal was my 2nd choice in painting my car behind Shadow turquoise. Here is a very Original Gunmetal 66GS at Gettysburg.  

IMG_4446r.JPG

Wow! That looks awesome! I can’t wait to get the paint on ours. We can see the color on some spots, but nothing beats being able to see it full blown. Thank you very much for the picture! 

The picture Jason posted is from the ROA meet in Gettysburg which I attended. The picture looks rather dark, at least on my laptop. My experience is that Gunmetal has a lighter shade appearance with more silver/gray highlights. Jason, what do you think?

Tom

4 hours ago, Rivman said:

Here is a bit different view, with different lighting ...

IMG_9880-2.thumb.JPG.e2e7ac3eba8ce6b6375af00bbcff8dd4.JPG

Hi Randall,

Yes, better overall lighting but in this pic it loses its metallic character, almost looks black in this pic. Amazing how pics differ...its one of those colors that`s difficult to describe in words and even more difficult to capture in pics...gorgeous color really

Tom

On 3/27/2020 at 2:18 PM, sjbB112 said:

Thank you! After everything he has done for us, it is long over do, and he deserves it! I'm considering creating a post to create updates and progress along the way, especially if others would also be interested in following along!

It could also be your monitor or whatever screen on which you chose to view it.  I used to have my mo itor connected to my laptop for a larger view.  If I opened the laptop and viewed both screens at the same time, there was usually a difference in color.  I don't seem to get true color when taking pictures with my smart phone or my tablet, only when I use my Canon 35mm DSLR.

Paintref.com says that Riviera Gunmetal was also used by Oldsmobile and Pontiac.  Pontiac probably has the best description of the color. They called it Blue Charcoal.  They have a picture of a 1965 GTO painted that color posted. Pontiac used in in 1965 - 1967 on various models. Oldsmobile had the least descriptive name - Nocturn Mist

• Like 2

If you want to take a real visual image trip and see what lighting and different cameras and angles do for color do this. Type 'Pontiac blue charcoal' into your browser then when the search is over, click on the images link.  If there are 25 cars pictured, you'll see 25 different colors. 🤔

18 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

The picture Jason posted is from the ROA meet in Gettysburg which I attended. The picture looks rather dark, at least on my laptop. My experience is that Gunmetal has a lighter shade appearance with more silver/gray highlights. Jason, what do you think?

Tom

I can't recall if that car was a repaint or not. Perhaps it was and older repaint. When you saw the car in Gettysburg what did you think Tom? As I recall in person it did look a bit lighter much like the bluing on a gun barrel only with metallic. I thought I had a pic of the Fisher tag. I'll have to look. I know there can be slight variations in colors in different years that use same or similar name.

29 minutes ago, Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel said:

I was so excited by this color I purchased some from the autocolorlibrary TPI people.  I think a color change from Desert Beige might be in order.

Hi Ted,

Which type of paint material did you choose?

Tom 

2 hours ago, Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel said:

I think urethane base coat.  I'm sending it to the guy that painted the Stage 1 to spray out.

Nice!...would be cool to see the sprayout...did they specify this color only available in particular paint types or was it available in all paint types?

Tom

• 1 month later...

Finally got my 66 GS  beater out if the paint shop yesterday . Still got a few minor things to tidy up but thought I would share a couple pics . As discussed above the color is  now the correct Code B -gunmetal gray . Apologize for all the glare /shadows but wanted to try and get a few shots of the color which is anything but gray . The dual quads are my add on to this MW 425- it is not an MZ code. Originally an Oregon bought car so non-AC . This was my steep  (and expensive )learning curve on EBay about three years ago. Saw about 50 pics which in retrospect had been photoshopped . Seller said paint was 7-8 /10 .Was actually 3/10 having been painted black lacquer in a  Kansas sandstorm apparently ( that was fun to get off along with the other two coats of paint) . Only rust was the battery tray and the lower front driver fender next to the battery tray. Hard to believe but the seller never returned any of my calls after I got the car. 🤔Anyway it’s about done and is fun to drive 
KReed

ROA 14549

BF301E7F-B78B-48CB-B292-1A04F134C1A1.jpeg

E4B93F93-C424-4EFC-9729-7A8EF1FAA0AD.jpeg

EA4435EC-FE48-436B-A3EB-DD03C4201079.jpeg

8DCFE206-093C-42A7-B895-E93086C89E72.jpeg

04C4CEC1-0B08-497D-9807-6BC571955645.jpeg

CE35886C-3CFB-4770-936D-901DC32AAB36.jpeg

4707716A-6D8C-4243-8053-E4B0518169F6.jpeg

BBDBA92E-5A41-4D30-9BD4-B5A5D059727A.jpeg

38320AFB-2B97-4CFD-BBF4-CDEF434DFE63.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2020 at 9:05 PM, 1965rivgs said:

lots of metallic...makes the perception of shade very dependent on light intensity and angle

That would be correct—especially for darker colors.