1936 AIRFLOW C9

Speaking for myself, the black vinyl (especially including the headliner) just looks horrible.  Don't get me wrong -- I think the price of the car is very reasonable.  But the interior is so radically different from a correct, original-style interior, that I would not be able to live with it.  Here's what it should look like:

1897860912_1936ChryslerAirflow-10.thumb.jpg.b41276a8f4817b54c461ca99741ecb05.jpg

• Like 5

I 'm like Neil - nice car , but couldn't live with the interior.  Isn't most of the cost of interior work labor?  Saving on the fabric seems a false economy.

The exact fabric may not be available, but a close approximation in wool with original design would be a big upgrade.  That said, the car is priced at a point where no whining to the seller is in order - it is what it is, attractive car with a serviceable but inauthentic interior.

I've seen much more expensive cars with much worse interiors.

I also think that at that price, doing the interior correctly would come pretty close to paying for itself. Airflows are hot right now and while that's not an Imperial or a coupe or a '34, they still seem to be on the short list of pre-war non-Classics that are still ticking upwards instead of downwards. Overdue, in my opinion. They remain great cars to drive.

• Like 5

That  Chrysler Airflow with any interior is a nice automobile. The owner didn't rip out the old interior to put high back buckets and a consul . They don't come around that often in this kind of shape for this kind of money.  John

• Like 1

Actually, interior is most usable and .... - perhaps change the carpets to something more appropriate and pull door panels and change carpets on them too, plus  maybe add the correct detail/sewing on door panels - and just do lot of little detail projects  = this will be a whole other car in no time and really make someone a really nice car (and interesting) that they can start using quickly enough. 

Sidenote:  New woodgrained dash and window sills would go a really long way too. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I've seen much more expensive cars with much worse interiors.

I also think that at that price, doing the interior correctly would come pretty close to paying for itself. Airflows are hot right now and while that's not an Imperial or a coupe or a '34, they still seem to be on the short list of pre-war non-Classics that are still ticking upwards instead of downwards. Overdue, in my opinion. They remain great cars to drive.

Matt... yes they're fabulous cars and great to drive. The Airflow Club has many knowledgable and helpful members and we have many of the small, but important, restoration items available in our Club Store. Sending along a few pics of my 36 Desoto coupe.

P/S ...Your wagon looks great with those wire wheels! Glad they went to a good home.

1936 Desoto @ Airflow Lunch7.jpg

1936 Desoto @ Airflow Lunch10.jpg

1936 Desoto @ Airflow Lunch11.jpg

1936 Desoto @ Airflow Lunch14.jpg

• Like 5

On 3/25/2020 at 7:56 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

Airflows are one of the few cars before 1940 or so that I consistently like.

I laughed to myself a little when I read this because I so consistently like just about all cars before 1940. It's the variety of opinions that makes for an interesting forum.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dpcdfan said:

Matt... yes they're fabulous cars and great to drive. The Airflow Club has many knowledgable and helpful members and we have many of the small, but important, restoration items available in our Club Store. Sending along a few pics of my 36 Desoto coupe.

P/S ...Your wagon looks great with those wire wheels! Glad they went to a good home.

I'm getting drool all over my keyboard! Your coupe is gorgeous. If I may ask, what did Chrysler call the beautiful blue color on it. Is that "Sky Tint"?

• Like 1

Hi Folks - I've seen the car and I believe it is in great mechanical shape with recent work that has been done. The body is sound - no obvious rust problems. You could repaint it if you like or just drive it and enjoy it as is.  I agree that the interior is not to my taste BUT having said that, this car will tour and drive all day long as is. If you want to have fun with an Airflow this is a great place to start. And as dpcdfan has noted, the Airflow Club offers tremendous support for these beautiful cars.

• Like 4

After thinking about it a bit, I guess that just getting the headliner replaced would go a long way towards making the interior less off-putting. Headliners are their own fabric, anyway, so matching it later with seat fabric wouldn't be an issue. The way it currently is, I have to think would be like driving around under storm clouds. Maybe later on, the door panels. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dpcdfan said:

Do you have any pictures of the cream colored one next to it as well? Beautiful!

21 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I'm getting drool all over my keyboard! Your coupe is gorgeous. If I may ask, what did Chrysler call the beautiful blue color on it. Is that "Sky Tint"?

Yes that color is "Sky Tint" It's a great color.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, dpcdfan said:

Yes that color is "Sky Tint" It's a great color.

For those of you who are Dodge owners, this is the same color that was available in '35 and '36 called "Stratosphere Blue". Its Chrysler's version of a "sky blue" color. It truly is outstanding. Thanks, dpcdfan, for replying.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, uga06dawg said:

Do you have any pictures of the cream colored one next to it as well? Beautiful!

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the cream colored coupe. It belongs to a fellow club member and close friend of mine. It's a 1935 C1 coupe, older restoration in great condition.

2 hours ago, dpcdfan said:

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the cream colored coupe. It belongs to a fellow club member and close friend of mine. It's a 1935 C1 coupe, older restoration in great condition.

Alright, thank you for checking. Both are beautiful cars!

Also, thanks Hud for the link. 

• Like 1