Sign in to follow this  
hertzyinmn2015

porcelain german or? plate , bmw or volkswagon connection,

Hello, all I really would like some expertise on this old porcelain plate as I do not  sell it to cheap. It measures just shy of 3 1/4 " x 6 3/4" .it has a slight concave on reverse and is hallmarked GLADIATOR . it weighs about a half pound and is porcelain on iron type plate. I have posted on collectors weekly and a couple folks say possibly was a bmw or volkswagon item, as the Germans had labor forces to work on these vehicles. well I really hope someone will Identify this and its use , Oh and its states " to promote public health we strongly request not to spit in the wagon," Thanks ahead if any response , 

20200324_173143 (1).jpg

20200324_173204.jpg

20200324_173226.jpg

Could be a railroad item as noted.  Perhaps for boxcars.

Wie geht es ihnen?

Ich wurde gerne kaufen.

Greg

Thanks , sure everything is for sale, I have decided to list on ebay , and is auctioning now, My ebay ID is hertzyinmn2015 - its under signs ,railroad or vehicles. thanks 

Posted (edited)

My guess would be a streetcar or  railroad item originally screwed to the inside wall or door of a tram or third class carriage. Maybe some German railroad memorabilia collectors could give more detail.

It may be a generic item sold to a lot of different companies by the Gladiator sign company, as it does not have the name of the railroad or transit company on it.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

In the current COVID-19 environment, an appropriate sign!🤧

• Haha 1

A lot of places had anti spitting campaigns and ordinances in the early 20th century to combat the spread of tuberculosis. I lean towards this sign being from a tram or street car.

Horse drawn jitney was my guess.

London_Tramways_Horse_tram.jpg