Buick Harrison heaters

bhemi

I have a Harrison heater from my '38' coupe.    Its a model  ? 69.     Its bigger than my  '35-58' Buick vicky.    I'm going to install it in my  '35'.     Even here in Florida,  you need the heater in the winter.      The Harrison heater has the water lines in a vertical mode and the mounting bolts are in the same line up.    If you  want,   I can send pix and dimensions.     I have a friend who has a '37' coupe and  I can get pix to see if its the same model.    I suspect they are the same size.     The '35' heater is smaller and the hose piping is in a 2 - 8 o'clock positioning.    I think the mounting bolts are in a horizontal mode.    

I put a/c in my '38' coupe.    Not much room for duct work under the dash.    Interesting thought on blowing air through a empty housing.   The core radiator takes a lot of space and might contribute to a restricted air flow.     My a/c unit gives me 42*  air and keeps me comfortable in our hot weather.      I would be interested in how you mounted your compressor.     Do you have the 248 or 320 engine ?   My '38' is a 46c  version.   

I have a thread on my build in the modified section. My new engine is a 401 nailhead. My goal with the build is to have the car look as close to stock as possible until you look under the hood. We purchased the small case unit from Vintage Air. I may even gut the coils to get good air flow.Pictures would be awesome. 

This is what happens when you send one to the other side of the world (Australia) This is in my ‘38 Special.

Not only are they upside down, but they get fitted on the opposite side! Haven’t had a chance to test how good it is yet, but “no leaky”

Rodney 😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊

btw, installed another  light switch I had in the blank hole in the dashboard to operate the fan.

FB1719EA-8AB8-4D37-A31B-EE5026BD21AE.jpeg

FB8E2DFE-9CCE-47D2-B8D5-EED2D03FC7D8.jpeg

Those are great pics. I have found a fellow on eBay that sells restored ones. I now know what I am looking for. I have seen heaters with an emblem on them identical to the nose badge for my '37 were those for the fancier 80 and 90 series cars? I am using a Vintage Air unit for heat and A/C. My goal is to keep the working cowl vent and glove box while going to electric wipers as well. The radio is a no go but i have plans for a hidden modern unit. 

On 3/25/2020 at 11:10 AM, Jim Nelson said:

I put a/c in my '38' coupe.    Not much room for duct work under the dash.    Interesting thought on blowing air through a empty housing.   The core radiator takes a lot of space and might contribute to a restricted air flow.     My a/c unit gives me 42*  air and keeps me comfortable in our hot weather.      I would be interested in how you mounted your compressor.     Do you have the 248 or 320 engine ?   My '38' is a 46c  version.   

Should I assume you changed the engine and wiring?  The wiring is certain, but if you didn't change the engine, how do you keep it from overheating?

Dynaflash,   I used a 320 series radiator.   It has about 30% additional cooling.    The original 248 radiator was a 2 core and was just able to cool the engine.   The 320 engine is a three core radiator and fits with minimum adjustments.    We (most of us southerners) install a pusher fan in front of the radiator.    I sandwiched the a/c condensing rad. in front of the cars rad.  and then put the pusher fan in front of that rad.     I made a custom mount for the compressor.   I duplicated the water pump pulley so I would have a 2 groove pulley to drive the compressor.    I lucked into a 263 straight 8 - last of the straight 8's to give me plenty of hp.   Electrical was easy and my 75 year old wiring was way to tired so I redid the dash forward.     This is a quicky of my change.    Pix are available if desired for details.