Interesting video on YouTube - good history on the Aurora, Monogram and Revell plastic models.

Are you folks aware of the "Isolation Island Concour's d'elegance" being run by Hemmings now? A virtual competition for model vehicles in diecast or resin, many different categories, check it out. different event every 2 weeks until the cloud breaks. And BTW, great looking  aircraft.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well , did this 1913 Mercedes Benz.  I painted it gray since I had lots of gray paint on hand.  (Ok it’s a gray kit and I don’t like to paint.)  Got this kit at the gift shop of that auto museum in Hershey about 2 yrs ago.  It’s not a high quality kit but it did pass the time for the last two days.  

CA15B5AC-BA3B-43B0-A5E3-21C6FFEB9858.jpeg

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 10:07 PM, GregLaR said:

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 5:42 PM, TerryB said:

This one is not technically a  model kit so I hope you don’t mind it being posted here.  It’s a Corgi of Great Britain metal and plastic 1966 Lincoln Continental with body by Lehman-Peterson.  Overall it measures about six inches long.  The hood opens, trunk opens as well as the doors.  As found in the giant toy box I purchased all four doors were missing.  Floating around in the bottom of the box I found two doors, both from the same side which was a surprise.  This replica also features a battery compartment in the underside that has a light bulb to light up the replica TV in the back seat!  Car has amazing detail.  It sure would be great to have the right side doors.

77510C3C-5E2B-4749-A302-C267C3FFDEAB.jpeg

This could have come from Trailer Park Boys.

Craig

• Haha 1

On 4/8/2020 at 11:12 AM, John S. said:

TerryB, why don't you try your hand at airbrushing? I am down the basement airbrushing some projects now. It is better  that spray cans, or using a brush. You can control the pressure coming out of the airbrush. Paint is expensive, and now Rustolem bought out Testors, and the quality isn't the same. If you want to try a better spray paint, try Tamiya . It gives you and even finish. I would also warm up the spray cans  with warm water for a few minutes. Helps the flow better. Good luck. John

John, do you know if Floquil is still in business. They made good modeling paint also. They catered more to the model RR crowd.

• Like 1

Ted, I believe Floquil is still available, I have never used them. I used True Color Paints and Model Air AV paints. True Color Paint is  a lacquer based  paint used for trains and rail cars. They come in a wide variety of colors. They recently came out with automotive colors.. Model Air AV paint is a water based  flat paint for military , and trains. I also use them for interiors and convertible tops on model cars. I used both through an airbrush with great results. John

• Like 1

Those fire trucks are fantastic! I have both those kits in the stash but felt too intimidated to try them so they remain in their boxes, lol. The AMT kit I inherited from my dad, and I'm not sure it's entirely complete. The cab is warped but I think I can fix that, when I do attempt it.

Those Highway Pioneers kits may not be what's expected of modern models- but they are very important. The first series of models ever to be made in factory stock form, and the first actual series....the first time car models were treated as documenting history in scale instead of a toy. They were originally tooled up from 1953-55, and the tooling has changed hands a few times. They aren't very common at all, but they are out there. I picked up a batch of six of them at the RTS show in Taunton, Mass. last year. Still sealed inside from the 1950s. I believe the MiniCraft issues date to the mid-1980s and was the last time they have been seen...they were originally Revell. 

• Like 1

So, I've been busy the past couple of days. Not actually building, but documenting. I'm primarily a NASCAR builder and I have several huge projects going....110 builds huge!

2v2HfoAZzx2zUmm.jpg

I'm attempting to build at least one of every car number, from 00 to 99, which is 110 models! I began building NASCAR models in 2000, and to date I've finished 105, so this is not going to be a very fast process. In that time, I've finished 49 different numbers. (I have built a 36 but I lost the photos when I made this...found them the next day, go figure!). Any era is eligible, but most I've done are 80s-2007 due to being when dedicated NASCAR models kits were mostly made from. 

I'm also doing the same project in 1/64, which is Hot Wheels size. I'm actually much father along, with 84 numbers built...even though I have not finished any since 2013.

2v2HfoAbyx2zUmm.jpg

and when I stopped building I had a #8 that only needed tire decals to complete. 

But that's not all..

2v2HfoAQox2zUmm.jpg

I'm also attempting to build every Winston Cup and Nextel Cup era Rookie of the Year winning car. I thought of this idea in 2006...and that's the last time I finished any as well. Yikes. I need to work on both of these projects some more, and luckily, there are a dozen builds I could do to fill a hole in each project with the same car. 

I spent literally all day making these collages- each of the spacers required typing it in Word and then screencapping it!- but I decided I had to go for the other project I had been debating as well...

2v2Hf9mPFx2zUmm.jpg

At least one model for every year, as well! This doesn't form a grid as nicely, since the series started in 1949. 

And yep, I'm doing it in 1/64 as well...

2v2Hf9msqx2zUmm.jpg

and once again I've gotten more done, which, really, should not be too surprising as I've finished over 200 builds in this scale, which is my preferred scale. 

All of these projects have been going on for at least 15 years...all of them likely will go on for that long or longer as well. My intention is to make new progress charts at the end of each year, updated with whatever I accomplished in the year. It may not be all that much, as I only added one number and two years in 2019, but it's not a rush...this is a fun, long term set of projects. I can't guarantee I won't upgrade some of the cars and especially some of the photos at some point, however! 

• Like 4

Minicraft was a Revell employee who bought the molds from his employer.  The model is dated 1953 on the bottom.  My kit is late 1960s or early 1970s era based on the zip code (1965+) and style of printing.  Apparently they are still in business under new ownership and do mostly airplanes.

• Like 1

BiB,

These metal models are really sensational looking when completed. Your display abilities are stellar. 

Greg

12t1.thumb.jpg.9840a3e91079ce9e61b77647f878e177.jpg

13 hours ago, GregLaR said:

BiB,

These metal models are really sensational looking when completed. Your display abilities are stellar. 

Greg

12t1.thumb.jpg.9840a3e91079ce9e61b77647f878e177.jpg

Thank you sir! I have always like building models as well as working on the real thing. Normally I am pretty busy with friends, family and clubs. Being stuck at home has given me a chance to build a few kits.

I have a question regarding clear coat paint on models.  In the instructions of a model I am working on, it states that clear coat can be applied over the decals after waiting 48 hours.  Wanted to see if others have done this and if it affects the decals in any way?  

Thanks, Tim

5 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

Thank you sir! I have always like building models as well as working on the real thing. Normally I am pretty busy with friends, family and clubs. Being stuck at home has given me a chance to build a few kits.

Brass is Best, really nice clean work. Model T is beautiful John

• Like 1

Not an assembled model but a rebuild of sorts.  Dinky Supertoys #36A Willeme tractor and log trailer manufactured from 1955-60 by the French division of Dinky Toys Great Britain.  Willeme was a French truck manufacturer starting in 1923.  This truck and miscellaneous parts were part of a group purchase from my wife’s cousin.  The aunt bought toys for her 5 nephews always attempting to get each one the same thing.  I found the trailer first, marked with 36a on it.  Found that was a Dinky number and used eBay to identify the tractor that went with it. Found missing tires for the truck in the box of stuff, then found the trailer coupler that had been broken off and put those together.  Made the upright pipes for the trailer using 3/32” aluminum tube from Ace hardware.  The logs were donated by the tree in our front yard.  My wife and I are guessing that her aunt bought the oddball (for the US market) toys that were slow seller hence the toy store would have 4 or 5 in stock so she could give each nephew the same thing. 

32955D5D-B9ED-48B9-9C92-0E9A09F0A845.jpeg

D936BAC0-45FE-4536-85A7-34ED27BAED72.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldsmobile 83 said:

I have a question regarding clear coat paint on models.  In the instructions of a model I am working on, it states that clear coat can be applied over the decals after waiting 48 hours.  Wanted to see if others have done this and if it affects the decals in any way?  

Thanks, Tim

Billy would probably know the answer to this. He's been following this thread pretty regularly so he'll likely chime in. 

You can clear over decals...but certain brands will react differently to each other. Tamiya clear is known for melting decals printed by Microscale. Your best bet is to test- the copyright info is actually printed as a decal on most sheets and makes great testing material.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • gwells changed the title to Model builders?

Just went through this whole thread. Lots of great stuff in there. Billy, that nascar build is surely an ambitious project, I am sure you are getting a lot of enjoyment on its completion.

Like most I started  building as a kid. I had a dedicated work bench set up in our basement and spent all of my free time there. I thought I was pretty serious about it until I saw this thread! I would get an allowance of $5 a week. Dad would take me up town on friday evenings. He would go to the bank and do his business, drop me off at Western Auto and I would get a model. Most of the time I knew from the previous week what I was going to get. Others I would stand there staring so long that he would have to come into the store to move me along. I got a kit, some paint and glue and still got change back from my 5 spot. I preferred Revell as I thought they were a bit more detailed, but also like the AMT kits. I still have many dozens packed away in the basement somewhere. I would love to get them out and start a full scale restoration. Special occasions Birthday and Christmas I would get a Hubley. I have quite a few of those deserving of a resto also. Maybe this winter.

• Like 1

Oh yea.... making models in the 60’s when I was a kid is exactly why I collect and restore cars now.  That is why my Email address is fullscalemodels@yahoo.com. 

Then 2002, when I was finally out of debt, bought my first classic car, 1928 Ford Leatherback, finally working on a model in full scale, 1:1

I tried to make a model of every classic and antique car I owned, at the time I owned it.  Not always possible, one photo attached.  To me, the greatest model kit ever was the Red Baron.  A model first, then a car, which resides in a museum.  What I would give to own it.  I have several original kits, and the iterations afterwards.

D3D87113-9B26-4359-AF1D-24D632FA8D85.jpeg

4C9A4A6B-43D4-496A-9BFE-C5950E8FDFF4.jpeg

• Like 4

Kerry, it sure does! I'm on a bit of a roll...finished 4 in the last month, about 2 days away from two more...and have about 30 more in progress. I've finally figured out something that has been holding me back and I'm having a great time doing it.

• Like 1