Interesting video on YouTube - good history on the Aurora, Monogram and Revell plastic models.

Trying to rearrange things here while looking for something. Thought I would share this. I restored/modified it about a two decades or more ago. It is a Wyandotte pressed steel sedan about 17 inches long. most toy collectors refer to it as a LaSalle. When I got it the grille and headlamps were gone, I had one or two others that were original so decided to modify it , make a new grille, make headlamps and side mounted spare tires. I also had to lengthen the end of the hood to accept the new grille. ( welded in a section) . Not quite original as manufactured but was to good to use as a "parts " car. The blue is from what I used ( lacquer) on my 1931 Franklin that I had at the time ( color match is 1972 Mercedes Benz Midnight Blue ).

TPOYpackardsedanBluefront.jpg

TOY packardsedanBLUErear.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Nice work! I have an Aerosedan in progress right now but it won't qualify for this website. I love those kits. 

I just returned home from the NorEastCon model show in Latham, NY. I was head automotive judge and I love doing that. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Billy Kingsley said:

Nice work! I have an Aerosedan in progress right now but it won't qualify for this website. I love those kits. 

I just returned home from the NorEastCon model show in Latham, NY. I was head automotive judge and I love doing that. 

Pontiac?  I know a fellow with one of Petty's race worn Aero coupe's.

On 3/25/2020 at 3:41 PM, Billy Kingsley said:

I'm a long time model builder...the hobby is actually thriving. We have lots of clubs and conventions...just this past October, my family and I drove from my home near the CT border in NY all the way to Toledo Ohio for a model show...the largest show in the world is the NNL East in Wayne, NJ, which averages 2500 built models on display and three basketball courts full of vendors. People literally come in from around the world for it. It's in September this year, due to the virus. Normally in April. It's the 34th annual show. 

90% of the interaction I have on Facebook is with modelers. I joined the modeling community in 2000, when I was 15 years old, and never left. 

I'll post some of my builds shortly. Don't have access to post pictures on mobile.

That show is in Wayne? I have to go this year. Thanks for letting me know.

When I was a kid, my father wanted to buy stock in Aurora, because I practically kept them in business, building so many of their kits. I also built Monogram, Revell, Hawk, Airfix and other kits. No ships, but lots of planes, cars, and figures. I still buy kits when I find them, then stash them away for someday, after retirement. Last year, I bought an Aurora Crusader figure kit and spent about $200 on it. I want the two Gladiators and the Viking next. I have a few of the monster and knight kits awaiting assembly. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

Here is a Monogram 1/24 scale 1937 Cord. This is a great kit to build. It is not complicated, and you end up with a beautiful little Cord.

37c1.jpg

37c2.jpg

37c3.jpg

37c4.jpg

I built that one as a kid. Great kit. 

I still got like a half a dozen AMT models from the mid-60s that are not built yet. I bought them back then and then lost interest when I transitioned to real cars.  

I wish I had the foresight to keep all the car models that I built while I was a kid instead of destroying so many of them when a friend and I would put firecrackers in them and blow them up... 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Here is a Monogram 1/24 scale Cord I built. It is modified with a Resin Beverly Sedan body made by Bob Shelton. Very cool kit. Fun to build. Bob made a full line of Cords to modify the 1/24 Monogram 1937 Cord 812 Phaeton kit. Several versions of sedans, Sportsmans and a non Super-Charged Phaeton.

36c1.jpg

36c2.jpg

36c3.jpg

36c4.jpg

36c5.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Here is a Monogram 1/24 scale Cord I just finished. It is modified with a Resin Sportsman body made by Bob Shelton. Very cool kit. Fun to build. Bob made a full line of Cords to modify the 1/24 Monogram 1937 Cord 812 Phaeton kit. Several versions of sedans, Sportsmans and a non Super-Charged Phaeton.

37cs1.jpg

37cs2.jpg

37cs3.jpg

37cs4.jpg

37cs5.jpg

37cs6.jpg

37cs7.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

....1/25 Scale 1949 Mercury Station Wagon. Turned out pretty good.

Great job on the model, Brass is Best! Those Mercury wagons are among the best looking wagons of all time!

Hmm...1/25th scale...that means if you ever have a full sized version for sale, it should only cost 25 times as much as this one! 😄

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...