=diego=

Looking for 1964 Oldsmobile engine info

I'm tabulating production information for 1964 Olds big cars and am running into some issues when it comes to engine order codes.

In particular, I need to know the following:

L65

L74

L76

L77

L65 seems to be a 260-horse 394.

But L74 is giving me issues because for the Cutlass it's a 330/260, but based on this page, it's a 394/330:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Oldsmobile/1964 Oldsmobile/1964 Oldsmobile Salesman's Specs/image6.html

I am leaning towards police engines for L76 and L77, but don't know their output other than they're likely 394s.

Thank you for your help!

Oldsmobile used the same RPO codes to designate different engines in different model lines. For example, in the mid-60s, RPO L77 designated the police package 400 cu in motor in the A-body line and the police package 425 motor in the B-body line.

In the 1964 model year, RPO L74 was the 290 HP 330 motor if you ordered that RPO code in the Cutlass/F-85 line or the Jetstar 88 line. It was also the 330 HP 394 motor if you ordered that RPO code in the other Eighty Eights. L65 was typically the RPO code for the base V8 in each line and again, would have been the 330 2bbl motor in the A-body and J88 cars and the 2bbl 394 in the other lines. As an example of this dual use of RPO codes, here's a page showing the police equipment from the 1967 SPECS booklet. Note RPO L77 is used twice.

1967_Oldsmobile_SPECS-12.jpg

I should add that the SPECS booklet only lists a subset of the RPO codes for a given model year. Equipment that was included in the base price of the car is not listed. The document you really need for this research is the Inspector's Guide, which does list every RPO code as used by the factory for building each car. That's where you'll find the exact definition of each. Reprints are available.

658081351633451951_INL12310_874a314d-d93

51 minutes ago, =diego= said:

Thank you, Joe!

Diego, I didn't even realize that was you at first.

Ha!

While I have your attention, do you know what the body code 860 is? I can't find it, so I'm guessing it's a long-wheelbase chassis.

30 minutes ago, =diego= said:

Ha!

While I have your attention, do you know what the body code 860 is? I can't find it, so I'm guessing it's a long-wheelbase chassis.

I don't have anything that refers to that specifically, but I suspect you are correct. The "8" series was the base Ninety Eight series 3800 cars, while the "9" series was the Ninety Eight Custom series 3900 cars. The production figures in Helen Early's book show 300 of the Ninety Eight commercial chassis configurations delivered, so I assume these are ambulance and hearse underpinnings.

For another data point, the 1963-64 Cadillac commercial chassis had a body code of 890, so the trailing "0" in the body code makes sense.

• Like 1

Cool....I'm compiling production statistics for some select options.