Looking for 1964 Oldsmobile engine info

=diego=

I'm tabulating production information for 1964 Olds big cars and am running into some issues when it comes to engine order codes.

In particular, I need to know the following:

L65

L74

L76

L77

L65 seems to be a 260-horse 394.

But L74 is giving me issues because for the Cutlass it's a 330/260, but based on this page, it's a 394/330:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Oldsmobile/1964 Oldsmobile/1964 Oldsmobile Salesman's Specs/image6.html

I am leaning towards police engines for L76 and L77, but don't know their output other than they're likely 394s.

Thank you for your help!

Oldsmobile used the same RPO codes to designate different engines in different model lines. For example, in the mid-60s, RPO L77 designated the police package 400 cu in motor in the A-body line and the police package 425 motor in the B-body line.

In the 1964 model year, RPO L74 was the 290 HP 330 motor if you ordered that RPO code in the Cutlass/F-85 line or the Jetstar 88 line. It was also the 330 HP 394 motor if you ordered that RPO code in the other Eighty Eights. L65 was typically the RPO code for the base V8 in each line and again, would have been the 330 2bbl motor in the A-body and J88 cars and the 2bbl 394 in the other lines. As an example of this dual use of RPO codes, here's a page showing the police equipment from the 1967 SPECS booklet. Note RPO L77 is used twice.

1967_Oldsmobile_SPECS-12.jpg

I should add that the SPECS booklet only lists a subset of the RPO codes for a given model year. Equipment that was included in the base price of the car is not listed. The document you really need for this research is the Inspector's Guide, which does list every RPO code as used by the factory for building each car. That's where you'll find the exact definition of each. Reprints are available.

658081351633451951_INL12310_874a314d-d93

30 minutes ago, =diego= said:

Ha!

While I have your attention, do you know what the body code 860 is? I can't find it, so I'm guessing it's a long-wheelbase chassis.

I don't have anything that refers to that specifically, but I suspect you are correct. The "8" series was the base Ninety Eight series 3800 cars, while the "9" series was the Ninety Eight Custom series 3900 cars. The production figures in Helen Early's book show 300 of the Ninety Eight commercial chassis configurations delivered, so I assume these are ambulance and hearse underpinnings.

For another data point, the 1963-64 Cadillac commercial chassis had a body code of 890, so the trailing "0" in the body code makes sense.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

For the 394 blocks:

L65 low compression deep dish 4 pocket pistons for model 3400s (D88s)

L74 4bbl carb, models 3500 (S88) and 3800 (98s). There was an export  8.3 comp ratio with those green and argent valve covers in this series of cars. 

L75 Starfire engine with flat top pistons. This engine was released for use on the 3457 hardtops. 
L76 and L77 are B01/B07 Option only. With L76 having single exhaust and used in the D88 fiesta only. The chassis configuration of the fiesta did not allow for dual exhaust. Used 43s plugs and had the apprehender label in the air cleaner. 
The L77 was for dual exhaust celebrity sedans (body 469) and combines with a 3.42 axle ratio. Also had the 43s plugs and air cleaner label designating apprehender engine. 

for the 330 block:

L74 was 4bbl carb

L76 B01/B07 option, same as L74 but had 43s rather than 44s plugs. Found in the F85 and J88 only). 
L79 B09 option 

I do not know of a 860 body as you and Joe discussed. The 840 was a short sill cowl ambulance. 850 short sill cowl limo. 890 short sill cowl hearse. There is an 867 3800 series convertible. 

Edited by Keener (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Keener said:

I do not know of a 860 body as you and Joe discussed. The 840 was a short sill cowl ambulance. 850 short sill cowl limo. 890 short sill cowl hearse. There is an 867 3800 series convertible. 

That's great info and corroborates the fact that the "0" last digit refers to commercial chassis. The "67" body style has designated convertible for Fisher pretty much forever.

44 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

That's great info and corroborates the fact that the "0" last digit refers to commercial chassis. The "67" body style has designated convertible for Fisher pretty much forever.

Yeah, I wasn’t sure if Diego miss read the 67 as a 60 or maybe what he read somewhere, that person wrote 60 instead of 67.  But yes, the zero denotes commercial chassis.  

12 hours ago, =diego= said:

Unless I'm mistaken, I never addressed body styles....?

Your post from March 25, 2020 above.

On 3/25/2020 at 3:45 PM, =diego= said:

While I have your attention, do you know what the body code 860 is? I can't find it, so I'm guessing it's a long-wheelbase chassis.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply--had a move to a different state, and only now am I catching up.

I can see where my confusion is from, as the body code I mentioned is not a body style but just a code for the chassis. Sound right?