I am trying to finish putting my steering wheel together and am trying to fit the horn button back in place. My old button you can see on the left with a new one I purchased on the right. Using my ohmmeter I cannot see how these are supposed to work. I know my old button had only 1 wire which was obviously grounded upon pressing down. I don’t see a ground on anything when pressed.   Can these buttons be taken apart and cleaned?  The new one looks like it had two wires but I don’t see any connection between them when I press the button.

Has anyone else had any experience working on these horn buttons?

8667EA4C-D49C-4120-916C-1B40A8B13E7E.jpeg

549D7CE7-B157-432A-806A-9B950815874A.jpeg

Don,

Yes the old one has a metal skin on the outside but I dont see a ground when I press it.  Maybe it needs cleaned some way.  I guess the new one should ground the two screws together when pressed since its all bakelight.  Must need cleaned somehow.

Mark.  There will be 2 screws on the horn button.  One for the ground and one for the horn wire.  When you put an ohm meter across the contacts, it will read open.  When you push the button, it will read full scale or closed.  All you are trying to do is create a ground to make the horn motor spin.  Since one wire is for the 14 ga horn wire, the other side of the switch is attached to the aluminum that is around the horn button itself.    Hugh

Mine was frozen with rust. I used WD40 and worked it for a while and got it unstuck. There is a spring inside and pressing down makes contact, the long, insulated wire runs from the switch, down inside the spark tube or throttle tube inside the steering column, down below the steering gear, and over to the horn through a steel spring conduit.

• Like 1